Free agent Browns-who to sign/let go

I gotta side with @BrownsDog23 on this one.  I think Higgins is easily replaceable.  If we re-sign him, fine, but it should be cheap.

I also disagree with whoever said that Hodge doesn't belong on an NFL roster.  He showed plenty when given chances, imo.

DPJ looks like he could easily step into Higgins' role.  I'm good with bringing another WR in the mix, but it definitely doesn't have to be Higgins.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

This may be a hot take but I wouldn’t bring back Higgins, I know he and Baker have good chemistry but this WR core has to get faster and I don’t like the idea of relying solely on OBJ to take the top off a defense. Browns desperately need a burner at WR

I actually agree, he is very important but the price of being good is attrition, good players leave good teams all the time. Plus I think DPJ in year 2 will be twice the player Higgins is on a rookie deal, that money could be used somewhere else. Plus we have too many possession guys on this team, we need more game breakers.                                                                                                                         

I don't know what kind of price tag Higgins will require but it will be considerably less than either Jarvis or OBJ. I think Higgins/DPJ are great 3/4 guys. I don't think OBJ is a #1 WR any longer, Jarvis never really was but both are being paid like it. I get that Jarvis and his personality is important and the threat of the OBJ of past may still scare some defenses but we're getting close to having to worry about salaries and we may be better served with Corey Davis and John Ross and an additional 15 million in cap room than with OBJ and Landry.

In a perfect world I would keep who we have and pick up a deep threat but realistically something is going to have to happen to be able to sign our stars of the future and we may have to sacrifice some stars of the past.

We have $135 million dedicated to offense for next season. 57 million on defense. We aren't even paying our QB big money yet. Hubbard will save us 3.6 million. Njoku will save us 6. That's about all we can do besides rework or move on from our high priced wideouts. Unless we want to keep rolling with the talent we have on defense something has to change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't know what kind of price tag Higgins will require but it will be considerably less than either Jarvis or OBJ. I think Higgins/DPJ are great 3/4 guys. I don't think OBJ is a #1 WR any longer, Jarvis never really was but both are being paid like it. I get that Jarvis and his personality is important and the threat of the OBJ of past may still scare some defenses but we're getting close to having to worry about salaries and we may be better served with Corey Davis and John Ross and an additional 15 million in cap room than with OBJ and Landry.

In a perfect world I would keep who we have and pick up a deep threat but realistically something is going to have to happen to be able to sign our stars of the future and we may have to sacrifice some stars of the past.

We have $135 million dedicated to offense for next season. 57 million on defense. We aren't even paying our QB big money yet. Hubbard will save us 3.6 million. Njoku will save us 6. That's about all we can do besides rework or move on from our high priced wideouts. Unless we want to keep rolling with the talent we have on defense something has to change.

Agree with most of this.

There is other tinkering we can do with reworks and such but the obvious target has to be reducing our spend on Landry and Beckham.

37 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I don’t see Keenum, ObJ or Njoku on the team next year.

hubbard will be gone, and if the money crunch gets real tight, I could see them considering one of Bitonio or Tretter getting released as a real wildcard

I don’t think the money crunch will get that tight though.

Great interior OL talent and depth in this draft.

Had us taking one Day 2 in my mock.

42 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I don’t see Keenum, ObJ or Njoku on the team next year.

hubbard will be gone, and if the money crunch gets real tight, I could see them considering one of Bitonio or Tretter getting released as a real wildcard

I don’t think the money crunch will get that tight though.

if anything, real wildcard cuts will be Bitonio or Richardson. you can clear $10m cap instantly cutting one of them. 

Browns have some viable guards, they have nothing for a back up center. So I highly doubt tretter is released. Also cutting him only saves $6m. prolly gotta spend $6m+ to get a good center

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

if anything, real wildcard cuts will be Bitonio or Richardson. you can clear $10m cap instantly cutting one of them. 

Browns have some viable guards, they have nothing for a back up center. So I highly doubt tretter is released. Also cutting him only saves $6m. prolly gotta spend $6m+ to get a good center

Richardson wouldn’t even be a wildcard cut. I see it happening. He isn’t worth his salary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Bitonio is hardly a franchise guard.

And that "slightly above average DT" happens to be our second best DL player.

Bitonio has been rated as one of the best since he came into the league. 

Richardson might be our best DT but that’s hardly saying much. That says more about how bad our DTs have been.