Free agent Browns-who to sign/let go

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

How is Bitonio overrated by us? He was out on the 2nd team all pro team which is much more telling than pro bowl, it’s means he one of the top 4 guards in the nfl, or viewed as one of the top 4 guards in the NFL

I think he is a little overrated by us and the league. I don't think he is a 2nd team all pro at his position even though he is good. A case could be made that he was our 4th best lineman. He is better than Teller in pass pro but not as good in the run game. Tretter is comparably similar to Bitonio as both are good and steady. Conklin could certainly make a case as well.

I don't know how well all of the NFL guards played and whether Bitonio deserves the 2nd team or pro bowl nod but in general when people talk about the O-Line for Cleveland they make it seem like Bitonio is the class of the line when he really isn't, he is just on par with the other 4 guys who aren't rookies.

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We spend a lot of salary on the offensive line

If baker keeps showing he can play well with out top tier WRs. It might be better to make sure Baker always has a stud OL and allow him to work his magic. 

my concern will be, when we sign Chubb. The stat they showed of the avg yearly salary for the leading rusher for the past 10 Super Bowl winners was like $2.5m. The highest was $8.5m and thst was Percy Harvin when he was with seattle. 

March 17 is the official date for beginning of NFL season at which time the FA frenzy starts.  It seems this post has drifted off topic as the intent was to focus on our pending FA’s and who should we sign or let go.  Yes cap space and money are certainly the key factors this year in particular.  I believe we are only going to sign 2-4 of this FA group and let Higgins go as the other contracts are minimal.

Another view of this off-season is to break down the defense into lb, d line, and d back to see who we keep and who to let go.  I believe the decisions with our FA’s is first in the decision making for off-season strategy.

2 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Watt he is going to be released sign him a production contract 

Like wins in the playoffs sacks that way if he performs like I think he will you distribute contract over 2 years

not even that. I think he can still be very good that he could get a decent size contract. I think he might love to play across from a DE that is actually better than him. His entire career he has been the best DL on his team, even last year and the year before that. It be great he wouldnt want one more big brother flex and go to the browns so he can beat him

47 minutes ago, buno67 said:

not even that. I think he can still be very good that he could get a decent size contract. I think he might love to play across from a DE that is actually better than him. His entire career he has been the best DL on his team, even last year and the year before that. It be great he wouldnt want one more big brother flex and go to the browns so he can beat him

If the Steelers could get in the ballpark of what he is going to fetch on the open market, it would be a no-brainer.  I have no doubt he'd go there.  There will be a team (hopefully the Browns) that should be able to significantly outbid them due to salary cap.  JJ is going with the cash imo.

7 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

JJ is going with the cash imo.

He doesn't strike me that way.

Think wanting to win is important to him, too.

As well as a situation where his assignments will be somewhat easier because Garrett is on the other side of the DL.

Should be refreshing since he no longer is a spring chicken.

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

He doesn't strike me that way.

Think wanting to win is important to him, too.

As well as a situation where his assignments will be somewhat easier because Garrett is on the other side of the DL.

Should be refreshing since he no longer is a spring chicken.

Bruce, he's not coming to Cleveland.

38 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Couldn't care less.

Hope we can do better.

But not ruling it out.

I am. JJ is gonna get paid, despite all the stuff going around that he wants to win, will take less money etc. JJ is high profile and not coming to Cleveland. We're being used to inflate his market most likely. I do believe we can land a big fish in free agency but just not Watt. FWIW, I think Watt will get injured again and end up being a meh signing for whoever gives him 3/$36 mil or whatever.