WFT extends QB Taylor Heinicke (2 years, $8.75 M)

RaidersAreOne

I think after that playoff game you have to at least see what you have in this guy.  This is pennies for a QB so it's a good contract.  We have plenty of cap space too.  They traded for Kyle Allen last year and he will still be cheap this year.  I can't imagine we don't bring in at least 1 new face to the QB room in either a draft pick or a vet.  I think this contract spells the end for Alex Smith in Washington.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I think after that playoff game you have to at least see what you have in this guy.  This is pennies for a QB so it's a good contract.  We have plenty of cap space too.  They traded for Kyle Allen last year and he will still be cheap this year.  I can't imagine we don't bring in at least 1 new face to the QB room in either a draft pick or a vet.  I think this contract spells the end for Alex Smith in Washington.

Sorta, I guess. I think it makes him a Top 5 back up QB salary wise if I am not mistaken. But yes, we have the cap. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Idk usually contract get more expensive every year.  We could definitely see him fall a bit.  Anyways, its a 2 year deal so who cares?

For whatever reason I do. Tying up 2 years and nearly 9 million into a guy who played his nuts off for one game just seems ... weird. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

For whatever reason I do. Tying up 2 years and nearly 9 million into a guy who played his nuts off for one game just seems ... weird. 

1.  $9 mil is meaningless, the less than $5 mil per year is the important number.

2. Washington is currently 5th in the NFL in cap space.

3. What if he has more of those games in him?  I think you have to find out.  

• Like 3