Washington extends Heinicke 2 years $8.75 million

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I agree that was a serious injury.  So lets say we don't bring in another qb to compete this year.  Maybe a mid round draft project for future.  Do you think then if the competition of Allen vs Heinicke in training camp is a push that the choice goes to Heinicke?  

Is Alex Smith back or gone? If Alex is back bc we aren’t able to/willing to trade enough to get an upgrade or we don’t bring in another vet, I think he’ll win the job.

Allen vs Heinicke is a tough one. I’d lean towards Heinicke over Allen as our starter. It’s so hard to say though. There’s a lot of unknowns surrounding both players. I think Heinicke certainly showed more in his six quarters than Allen did as a starter but they obviously liked Allen’s potential more in both Carolina & last year in DC as in both cases they had Allen ahead of Heinicke on their roster except when Allen was on IR.

Edited by turtle28

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Is Alex Smith back or gone? If Alex is back bc we aren’t able to/willing to trade enough to get an upgrade or we don’t bring in another vet, I think he’ll win the job.

Allen vs Heinicke is a tough one. I’d lean towards Heinicke over Allen as our starter. It’s so hard to say though. There’s a lot of unknowns surrounding both players. I think Heinicke certainly showed more in his six quarters than Allen did as a starter but they obviously liked Allen’s potential more in both Carolina & last year in DC as in both cases they had Allen ahead of Heinicke on their roster except when Allen was on IR.

Agreed, just a fun question really.  I still think they are cooking something up at qb.

In terms of Smith.  He is clearly gone.  

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Agreed, just a fun question really.  I still think they are cooking something up at qb.

In terms of Smith.  He is clearly gone.  

I think it’s all to be determined. They have not cut Alex, I can’t say anything is clear to happen right not except that Heinicke is back under contract. They could restructure Alex’s contract to keep him around as our veteran or they could add a different veteran. Right now they haven’t done anything with Alex.

They haven’t done anything with Kyle Allen yet either. I can’t say that he’ll be back or not yet either.

Edited by turtle28

Personally I love this move.  And I don't think Alex Smith is coming back to be honest.  But this kid showed a lot of heart and skill and he knows this offense.  At the very least he is a good backup.  Now Allen seriously I don't know.  Honestly I don't think he can beat him out in camp but we can see.  Personally I will like to go D again in the first round unless a very decent QB falls to us.  We also need WRs. 

5 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Personally I love this move.  And I don't think Alex Smith is coming back to be honest.  But this kid showed a lot of heart and skill and he knows this offense.  At the very least he is a good backup.  Now Allen seriously I don't know.  Honestly I don't think he can beat him out in camp but we can see.  Personally I will like to go D again in the first round unless a very decent QB falls to us.  We also need WRs. 

I think in the draft we should just take the best available pick whenever we end up selecting except for a DL and I wouldn’t want to go RB in round 1. 

I think it’s a solid competition between Heinicke & Allen - if he’s re-signed as an exclusive rights FA for $870k - I don’t know if Alex will be back or not either, I don’t think they’ll decide what to do there until they’ve exhausted all opportunities through trade and FA to get a true upgrade over what they currently have in house.

If they can’t get what they want there, there’s an outside chance Alex is back competing w/ Heinicke & Allen as our bridge QB.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, lavar703 said:

I don’t see anybody complaining about the money? 

You literally said it’s “a decent chunk of change”. In reality, it’s not. It’s looks to be close to a vets minimum with a lot of incentives IF he starts and has meaningful playing time...

$1.5M guaranteed in year 1 is not “a decent chunk of change”. It’s pennies for what other QBs, even backups, receive.

Kyle can return at like $800K or something if he gets a qualifying offer. I highly doubt Alex comes back at his current rate. If he does comeback, it would probably be for much less. Montez was a true PS QB and would probably be replaced by a late round pick if Washington were to take a flyer on someone.

Regardless, I think they are smartly moving through this QB situation. Worst they could do is overpay for a marginally better Vet or overdraft a QB.

At some point, they will take a swing at someone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

You literally said it’s “a decent chunk of change”. In reality, it’s not. It’s looks to be close to a vets minimum with a lot of incentives IF he starts and has meaningful playing time...

$1.5M guaranteed in year 1 is not “a decent chunk of change”. It’s pennies for what other QBs, even backups, receive.

Kyle can return at like $800K or something if he gets a qualifying offer. I highly doubt Alex comes back at his current rate. If he does comeback, it would probably be for much less. Montez was a true PS QB and would probably be replaced by a late round pick if Washington were to take a flyer on someone.

Regardless, I think they are smartly moving through this QB situation. Worst they could do is overpay for a marginally better Vet or overdraft a QB.

At some point, they will take a swing at someone.

It is a decent chunk of change for a guy that started one game. And the particulars of the contract were not released when I made my post. I have no issues with the deal and all I was saying was it meant he’s most likely going to be on the team. You claimed people were whining about the money and that wasn’t the case. 

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm starting to come around to thinking Alex will be back on a cheaper contract. His leg should be stronger. Not sure he'll ever lose that prosthetic to lift his foot. Is what it is . Maybe we pick a QB in later rounds  like round 3 or 4 .

I continue to say I really can’t say whether Alex will be back or not, people are making assumptions because we’re doing our due diligence and inquiring with other teams about trades for the QBs they could trade that that means Alex won’t be back. 

At some point if we can’t get the upgrade we want via trade or FA, Alex will end up being the best option we have as a vet QB who can be a bridge QB for us. I’m not sure what that point is for Rivera but, at some point it may be the case where they’ll just stick with Alex and bring back Kyle Allen and along with Heinicke those 3 will be competing to be our starter.

I’m not sure if we’ll draft a mid round QB if Alex, Heinicke & Allen are already on our roster. I think that depends on what ends up happening with Alex, but even more so if Allen is re-signed as a ERFA.

Personally, I can’t imagine them not re-signing Allen bc he’ll only cost $800,000 to re-sign and he’d be a better option for them given his knowledge and familiarity of the offense, the flashes he’s already shown and the upside he still has than a mid round rookie. They like him and there’s no guarantee a mid round QB could come in and even be what Allen currently is, let alone what he could be with some more playing time/development.

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It is a decent chunk of change for a guy that started one game. And the particulars of the contract were not released when I made my post. I have no issues with the deal and all I was saying was it meant he’s most likely going to be on the team. You claimed people were whining about the money and that wasn’t the case. 

The way I view Heinicke’s contract is that it’s a prove it contract. It doesn’t cost much this year but, if he wins the starting job and plays well, we would’ve locked him up as our starter for 2022 also. If he doesn’t prove to be the starter, he may not even be kept for the 2nd year of the contract.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

From JP Finlay

"Got more info on Taylor Heinicke’s two-year, $4.75 million deal that includes $1.5M guaranteed with a $1M signing bonus, per source. His cap hit in 2021 is $1,593,750 and in 2022 is $2.75M."

Yeah, year one is a prove it year basically. If he doesn’t prove it this up coming year he may not even be on the roster in 2022 but, it’s hard to imagine him not at least being our back up in 2022, but anything is possible, especially in Ashburn! 😂