Possible Cap Casualties and/or Restructures

soflbillsfan

Here is a list of potential players that the Bills may look to cut to reduce their cap. Not saying they all need to be cut more so of the reason why they may be cut.

Mario Addison cap hit of $10.1, a cap savings of $6.1 mil (turning 34 prior to season)
Jerry Hughes cap hit of $9.45, a cap savings of $7.3 mil (turning 33 at the beginning of the season)
John Brown cap hit of $9.5, a cap savings of $7.9 mil (turning 31 prior to season)
Quinton Jefferson cap hit of $8 mil, a cap savings of $6.5 mil
Vernon Butler cap hit of $7.8 mil, a cap savings of $6.8 mil
Aj Klein cap hit of $6.4 mil, a cap savings of $4 mil
Tyler Matakevich cap hit of $3.7 mil, a cap savings of $3.35 mil
Lee Smith cap hit of $2.25, a cap savings of $2.25 mil (possible retirement)

Cap Restructures:

Mitch Morse from $10.3 mil to $7.3 mil ($3 mil savings)
Cole Beasley from $7.3 to $5.5 mil ($1.8 mil savings)

These are all the big contracts in which the bills can financially profit off of whether they are cut or restructured. With the projected amount moving to $185 mil (yet to be confirmed) and the roll over from 2020 season the bills are current at $3.9 mil in cap space. So the bills have flexibility of up to $49 mil in cap relief. I dont expect all of them to be let go or restructured just some ideas as to what options Beane has to work with. This also does not include potential extensions to reduce caps.

FA that could cost some money to retain are Matt Milano ($13 mil per year estimate off of sites), Daryl Williams ($8 mil per year estimate), Jon Feliciano ($8.4 mil per year estimate), along with a few other as well as RFA that are likely to be tagged in Levi Wallace, Ike Boettger, Corey Bojorquez, and Andre Smith.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Man if someone pays Feliciano over $8mil per season.... well let’s just say that better not be us. 

The mock draft I’m working on I have us cutting Butler, Addison and John Brown while restructuring Hughes, Klein and Morse.

the Feliciano thing is based on some of these sites cap estimates spotrac, OTC, etc I dont think he gets it and will likely land around the 5-6 mil range but who knows with some of these teams that have a ton of cap may be willing to pay him like the Jets or Jags. 

I think those are the right moves for Beane to do, my only concern is sometimes with Beane he holds on to the player to long cause he doesnt want to make it look like a mistake and hopes they turn it around. He can use the pandemic as an excuse but guys like Kroft and Murphy should have been let go last year to clear the cap. I think he may do the same with butler and possibly addison. The emergence of Gab Davis, and the likely hood of Mckenzie being cheaper then brown I do not see the purpose of bringing brown back, even though I really like the dude. Klein is the Kroft of this year, he will likely get the restructure just because they need the help on the LB because of milano likely gone. 

I would assume you are moving on from Lee Smith as well? He is talking about retiring and if they plan on revamping the TE corps I dont see why they wouldn't take the 2.25 mil to better use?

Edited by soflbillsfan

My early prediction:

Cuts

Quinton Jefferson - $8m savings ($0 dead)

John Brown - $7.9m savings ($1.6 dead)

Lee Smith (retire) - $2.25m savings ($0 dead)

Vernon Butler - $6.8 savings ($1m dead)

Mario Addison - $6.1m savings ($4m dead)

Restructure

Mitch Morse - $3m savings

Extension

Josh Allen (5 years) - $2m savings

Stefon Diggs (2 years) - $9.4m savings

Re-Sign

Matt Milano - 4 years, $51m

Darryl Williams - 3 years, $25m

John Feliciano - 4 years, $30m

Total Savings - $45m

Revamp pretty much the whole defensive line in FA & draft, get a RB, CB2. Keep Milano, Williams & Feliciano on contracts that make it easy to get out of after a couple season (Which Beane has structured with others similarly). 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 10:04 AM, soflbillsfan said:

the Feliciano thing is based on some of these sites cap estimates spotrac, OTC, etc I dont think he gets it and will likely land around the 5-6 mil range but who knows with some of these teams that have a ton of cap may be willing to pay him like the Jets or Jags. 

I think those are the right moves for Beane to do, my only concern is sometimes with Beane he holds on to the player to long cause he doesnt want to make it look like a mistake and hopes they turn it around. He can use the pandemic as an excuse but guys like Kroft and Murphy should have been let go last year to clear the cap. I think he may do the same with butler and possibly addison. The emergence of Gab Davis, and the likely hood of Mckenzie being cheaper then brown I do not see the purpose of bringing brown back, even though I really like the dude. Klein is the Kroft of this year, he will likely get the restructure just because they need the help on the LB because of milano likely gone. 

I would assume you are moving on from Lee Smith as well? He is talking about retiring and if they plan on revamping the TE corps I dont see why they wouldn't take the 2.25 mil to better use?

If Feliciano is back, and he makes it sound like he will be, I hope it’s a similar deal to Spain. I would love to see Feliciano as the interior depth guy who can step in at either Guard spot or C but not actually starting. Hoping Ford is healthy and dominant and that we grab a mailer in the draft.

Yes I am working under the assumption Lee Smith retires. 

9 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

My early prediction:

Cuts

Quinton Jefferson - $8m savings ($0 dead)

John Brown - $7.9m savings ($1.6 dead)

Lee Smith (retire) - $2.25m savings ($0 dead)

Vernon Butler - $6.8 savings ($1m dead)

Mario Addison - $6.1m savings ($4m dead)

Restructure

Mitch Morse - $3m savings

Extension

Josh Allen (5 years) - $2m savings

Stefon Diggs (2 years) - $9.4m savings

Re-Sign

Matt Milano - 4 years, $51m

Darryl Williams - 3 years, $25m

John Feliciano - 4 years, $30m

Total Savings - $45m

Revamp pretty much the whole defensive line in FA & draft, get a RB, CB2. Keep Milano, Williams & Feliciano on contracts that make it easy to get out of after a couple season (Which Beane has structured with others similarly). 

Just trying to be helpful fix Jefferson he is going to cost us 1.5 mil in dead cap. Feliciano made a statement yesterday on the radio saying he expects to be here for a long time so I think they are in the process of extending him. I assume it will be around 5-6 mil at a cap friendly deal as he would look to hit FA if he was seeking more. 

The two things I do not agree on is the Josh Allen extension impacting this year as he will be on year 4 and will likely impact his 5th year option. Also re-signing milano to that much money means Edmunds is gone and I know that MLB is way more important then WLB so I think Milano either signs a 1 year stay healthy deal with us or hits free agency and we move on from him. It doesnt make any sense to invest in two LBs at that price tag, even if he is impactful on this team the value at the position isnt there when you are paying big bucks to a CB, LB, and decent size contracts to both your safeties. 

As for Diggs the max you can restructure his deal is for $7.1 not 9.4 mil and I expect him to wait until next year on this move when is guarantees are no longer there and will expect an extension similar to Hopkins which is 2 years 54 mil and he will have 2 years of proof that he is on the same level as guys like him. This is the most interesting part of your idea though as Diggs is a tough dude to figure out and we have no clue how he will react if he request a new contract or if he just plays it as is. 

Overall I can get behind this. I hope the Rb is Najee Harris or Aaron Jones in FA, if neither of them are the option then I recommend we stay put at RB as I do not see anyone else being an upgrade to Moss/Singletary. Etienne I am a firm believer will be going early and I could see Miami or NYJ spending their 2nd 1st rd on him, who do you have in mind at this position?. Also TE is something that needs to be addressed not sure if you agree with me or not on that.

Edited by soflbillsfan

12 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Why does everyone want Jefferson gone? He wasnt near as bad as Butler and is extremely versatile.

I think well lose Milano, cut Addison, Butler and Lee Smith

Restructure Mitch Morse 

I think well pay Allen and Diggs next year tbh definitely Diggs 

His contract of 8 million to play back up isnt worth it. He started the season off getting majority of the snaps but they were taken away as the season went on. He hasn't shown anything to deserve that money. Being versatile doesn't always mean its a good thing. His production just wasnt what was expected. We let Jordan Phillips go because we didnt want to pay him the 8-10 mil range to only be back up to Oliver and this is essentially what we are doing. He is slow off the edge to play pass rusher and he isnt getting enough done on the inside. We can up Oliver's snaps to where they need and should be at 70% we drafted him top 10 to be a reliable consistent DT and paying a back up that much money is not necessary. We then can fill the back up role with a mid rd pick. The money then can be used to put it towards other pieces in which can make an impact. I am not a huge fan of the idea of getting Watt but he is a clear upgrade to what we had all year at LDE, whether it was Johnson, Jefferson, Espenesa, Addison, or Murphy. So knowing that 6.5 mil we can clear to pay him or reallocate those funds to resign Daryl Williams I am all for it. Ideally the money we would spend on butler and jefferson this year could go to a guy like Bud Dupree, Carl Lawson, or Matt Judon, backup option Watt (maybe 2 if we could get Hughes to restructure with a 1 year extension). Letting John Brown and Lee Smith go, plus restructuring Morse can then be applied towards a guy like Daryl Williams and/or Feliciano, if one is signed then the funds could be given to someone in FA. The options to make moves are endless as Beane has the flexibility to let some guys go in order to upgrade at the same position or other spots.

We have to pay allen no matter what as he will get the 5th year option and with the new CBA rule in which it is guaranteed no matter what, as it use to be injury only. Also it has been put in a different structure in which snap count, pro bowl, all pro etc is involved and we are looking at between 25-30 mil for the 5th rd option on him. We also have to put Edmunds on the 5th year option as well which can be around the 11-15 mil range. I see both signing long term deals to make the cap flexible and the 5th year option guarantees will be part of it whether it is a 4 year plus the 5th year option making it a total of a 5 year deal or a total of 6 year deal for both guys. One thing I wish but I doubt happens is Allen is flexible and sees that players like Watson and Wentz are in a position where their offense is in shambles partly because of their massive contracts and if he can take a reasonable price of lets say 35 mil instead of the going rate of 40 mil a year (that was an example not the exact numbers) this would benefit the team as that 5 mil then can be applied to Diggs deal. 

Milano is good as gone the more and more rumors of teams interest in him the more and more I know it has to be done, as paying him will only cause issues along the dline. The funds will not be available to get upgrades along the line outside of the draft if we pay him and we will need those in order to have some sort of chance of shutting down guys like Mahomes. We saw first hand that a rotation of players isnt the answer and that a capable front 4 getting to the qb without blitzing is what will allow us to get over the hump and put us in a better chance of making the superbowl. That will allow guys like Edmunds and the other 2 LBs the opportunity to roam the underneath routes preventing TE, Slot WR, and RBs from getting open and up the field before the safeties drag them down like they did this year. 

34 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

His contract of 8 million to play back up isnt worth it. He started the season off getting majority of the snaps but they were taken away as the season went on. He hasn't shown anything to deserve that money. Being versatile doesn't always mean its a good thing. His production just wasnt what was expected. We let Jordan Phillips go because we didnt want to pay him the 8-10 mil range to only be back up to Oliver and this is essentially what we are doing. He is slow off the edge to play pass rusher and he isnt getting enough done on the inside

He, as well with Butler were affected by Star sitting out. The Bills planned to use Jefferson outside on early run downs and inside on passing downs. He was supposed to help mitigate the loss of Zo. But because Butler had to play more 1T, the Bills were thin and had to keep Jefferson inside. 

Im good with moving on from him but any replacement DE and DT will likely cost more combined then the savings of moving on from him.