How far would Indy have gotten if Andrew Luck did not retire?

biggie.

Luck was overrated from year one, and it's fun to see that hasn't changed in retirement.

The Colts certainly would've done better in 2019. Obviously Luck over Brisett is substantial. Maybe they swap with the Titans or Texans that postseason, but I don't see them making it much further in either situation. Don't think they get past KC if they win the division. Maybe they could've beaten the Pats also, but I doubt they beat NE, Balt, and KC.

This year, I really don't think it would've made much difference. Prime Luck was really not that much better than what Rivers did last year. Better bulk, because they just threw the ball non-stop with Luck, but he was consistently less efficient. 2018 Luck had more yards and TDs than 2020 Rivers, but really just by virtue of attempts. He had a lower YPA, YPC, completion %, a higher INT%, etc. Only won out in TD rate, but again, the '20 Colts just ran the ball more. And 2018 was the most efficient Luck ever was. Take the other years and it looks even worse. It also isn't like Rivers played really poorly in the playoff game or anything, either. There really isn't any reason to think that Luck would've done substantially better than Rivers, this year. People really just like to put Luck on that pre-draft pedestal from him being the GOAT QB prospect. The dude was basically Matt Stafford once he actually got into the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Luck was overrated from year one, and it's fun to see that hasn't changed in retirement.

The Colts certainly would've done better in 2019. Obviously Luck over Brisett is substantial. Maybe they swap with the Titans or Texans that postseason, but I don't see them making it much further in either situation. Don't think they get past KC if they win the division. Maybe they could've beaten the Pats also, but I doubt they beat NE, Balt, and KC.

This year, I really don't think it would've made much difference. Prime Luck was really not that much better than what Rivers did last year. Better bulk, because they just threw the ball non-stop with Luck, but he was consistently less efficient. 2018 Luck had more yards and TDs than 2020 Rivers, but really just by virtue of attempts. He had a lower YPA, YPC, completion %, a higher INT%, etc. Only won out in TD rate, but again, the '20 Colts just ran the ball more. And 2018 was the most efficient Luck ever was. Take the other years and it looks even worse. It also isn't like Rivers played really poorly in the playoff game or anything, either. There really isn't any reason to think that Luck would've done substantially better than Rivers, this year. People really just like to put Luck on that pre-draft pedestal from him being the GOAT QB prospect. The dude was basically Matt Stafford once he actually got into the league.

Naw that’s pushing it yes he was overrated by many in the media and fans. However he has accomplished more playoff success and reached the AFCCG in a few years. Stafford hasn’t won playoff game in 12 years. Obviously Luck never made it to his potential but 4/5 years he was healthy he made the playoffs. 

Edited by Blackstar12

5 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Naw that’s pushing it yes he was overrated by many in the media and fans. However he has accomplished more playoff success and reached the AFCCG in a few years. Stafford hasn’t won playoff game in 12 years. Obviously Luck never made it to his potential but 4/5 years he was healthy he made the playoffs. 

And then once he got there...man, he’s fallen out of the top 50 of playoff laser ratings since the last time somebody posted a thread like this. 

edit: eh, I’m leaving it as is. 

Edited by EvilenFroggen

13 hours ago, coltstrong said:

mahomes scored 9 points in the super bowl  what did tampa defense rank this year?  wasnt top ten .  bad games happen just like when mahomes lost to a backup QB when the colts beat him .    in 2018 lucks second starting weapon was a practice squad guy dontrell inman his wr core was trash .

The Buccaneers had the #6 defense in the NFL. The 2018 Chiefs were 31st. Not even remotely close. Granted it was snowing, but Mahomes had to play in that same weather and it didn’t slow him down

Luck had 13 touchdowns and 15 turnovers in 8 playoff games

Edited by Nightime

On 2/10/2021 at 1:55 PM, iknowcool said:

I'm not sure about 2019 because their defense wasn't as good (probably a playoff team still), but Luck on the Colts this past season would have been, at worst, the 2nd best team in the AFC IMO.  Really the only thing they would lack is a standout #1 WR, but Luck/Hilton always had great chemistry.

Colts/Chiefs would have been a fantastic game with Luck playing.

2020 version of Josh Allen was better than any version of Andrew Luck, so i disagree.

56 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

2020 version of Josh Allen was better than any version of Andrew Luck, so i disagree.

What are you disagreeing with?  Them being better than the Bills?

They have a better defense, better OL, much better running game. What would have kept them behind the Bills if Luck was their starter?  Even if you think Allen is better (which I disagree with), the Colts are just stronger in almost every other area sans WRs

8 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

What is unfair to Luck is that the o-line only got good in his final days so who knows what he would achieved had he not taken those hits and it only recently that the Colts had a reliable run game.  He played a bit of a role in that but not gonna hold that entirely against him because that roster was poorly constructed around him. Plus Rivers arm is much weaker so he wasn’t or couldn’t attempt the same type of throws. From what I remember Luck was a good deep ball thrower. So those stats are kinda misleading.