An Outsiders Lion’s Mock Offseason

StLunatic88

OK, so I figured I’d take a stab at this, Mocks and offseason planing is one of my favorite things. But I will give a bit of a disclaimer here, this isn’t going to fix everything, it might actually leave the team with “less” overall talent than what the Lions went into 2020 with, but this offseason is about setting the Franchise up for the future. Not only level setting with the talent that fits what they want to do going forward, but also cleaning the slate when it comes to the Salary Cap as quickly as possible. While also collecting some good versatile talent, and plenty of Draft picks for the future. (Working off of the most recent high point of $185m for the 2021 Cap)

Roster Moves

CUT Desmond Trufant - $6.19 Cap Savings in 2021

• This seems like the most obvious one to move on from, and while you would like to possibly try to get something out of him via trade, his 2020 season won’t likely let that happen. Plus the contract, doubt anyone is going to take that on when they can probably get him for close to the vet minimum for 2021 after he is cut.

CUT Nick Williams - $4.70m Cap Savings in 2021

• After a bit of a panic signing and overpay last offseason its time to just cut the losses as this production could likely be replicated by a late round draft pick or UDFA, which I believe the Lions will be a hot bed for this offseason. Plus you might as well give these snaps to the young cheap guys like Penisini who showed a little something and Cornell coming back from injury

CUT Danny Shelton - $4.00m Cap Savings in 2021

• Overpaid and tack on all the injuries to end the season, this is an easy move. I saw some no name B/R writer suggesting the Giants Trade for Shelton, if anyone wants to toss late rounders for any of these guys, the Lions should jump all over it, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up for that as high as their base salaries are for not much production recently.

CUT Joe Dahl - $2.87m Cap Savings in 2021

• Seems like a fine backup, but wont be around much longer so why pay him? Although preformed admirably at Center, so that little bit of versatility might mean theres a market for him. But if not, Bodine should be back as well as new young talent to pick up.

CUT Justin Coleman (Post 6/1 Designation) - $9.00m Cap Savings in 2021 / $6.97m Cap Savings in 2022

• While looking around about the current roster, I really haven’t heard a single good thing about Coleman. Its going to be a little weird going into the season leaning so heavily on Okudah who had a disappointing rookie season, but I think it would be the best way forward. Pushing some of the cap into next year helps sign some potential talent while the defense transitions.

CUT Jesse James (Post 6/1 Designation) - $5.00m Cap Savings in 2021 / $4.32m Cap Savings in 2022

• It absolutely SHOCKED me that James had this much on his contract. I don’t need to tell you guys, but just cut him now and pretend it never happened. TJ is a stud, and I feel like you can fill the rest of the depth chart with some high upside guys (including Bryant)

CUT Christian Jones (Post 6/1 Designation) - $3.56m Cap Savings in 2021

• I feel like almost none of the Lions LBs fit what they were trying to run, or were in the completely wrong position. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you all that, but I just don’t see the need to keep Jones around. 

TRADE Trey Flowers (for 2022 5th Rounder) - $3.15 Cap Savings in 2021 / $22.24m Cap Savings in 2022

• A couple of bold moves coming up, I cant remember which of you threw out the idea of some Post Draft trades coming this year, and I definitely agree. There are going to be some contenders who miss out on the guys they need, and even with some high cap numbers, I think teams who feel they need one more piece will make it work for 2021. While the true identity of the Defense will need to be uncovered, I don’t think they are going to stick to strictly a 4-3 front, most of the best defenses are moving more hybrid, and when doing a full rebuild of that side of the ball, seems like you want as many flexible pieces as you can, and to me Flowers is strictly a DE in an even front, which could limit the possibilities. The acquiring team will take on a large base salary, so the return may seem minimal, but the real reward here is getting completely out of the ‘22 and ‘23 dollars. Even if you think he was worth hanging onto because you don’t want to completely tank the defense, by the time you completely rebuild (even with him) would you want to be re-signing a 31 year old Pass Rusher in 2024?

TRADE Jamie Collins (for 2022 6th Rounder) - $6.67m Cap Savings in 2021 / $12.33m Cap Savings in 2022

• In a very similar situation to Flowers, Collins is just better suited to help out a contender at this point. The LBs need just as big of an overhaul as the Line does, so why hinder yourself with an aging vet in there. Not too much in return here either, but again he comes with a large price tag to the new team. Plus those Day 3 picks are where Holmes has found plenty of gold for the Rams in the past, just let him collect more bullets in those rounds.

Now, that is a lot of “Names” walking out the door, but every single one of them is quite overpaid, and there isn’t a single player on this list that would be on the 2023 roster much less contributing to it. Time to cut the dead weight now during what I believe the Lions FO/Ownership is looking at as a “Free Spin” year. The Draft/Scouting process is all jumbled this year, it seems like they are ready to value future assets more than picks this year, and are looking to clear the deck chairs in 2021, and go full press for 2022. While these cuts and trades make some additional room for 2021, they are much more important for 2022 and beyond. While a few were post 6/1 moves, that only pushes a total of $8m into 2022 (if the Cap would sneak up to $190-195, then they wouldn’t do this) but if that space isn’t needed for 2021, it can all just be rolled over for 2022 and take care of it that way depending on the FA talent they can pull in. But the most important part is, prior to any Free Agent signings, or Draft Pick contracts, and not yet counting the Ragnow 5th year option, The Lions are looking at more than $120m in Cap Space for 2022 (when you add in the cut of Chase Daniel).

Tenders

• Michael Ford
  • Jason Cabinda
  • Matt Nelson
  • Jack Fox

No reason not to tender any of these guys at this point, especially with a lower Cap, these tenders will be lower as well. 

Re-Signings

Matt Prater K - 2 Year Deal

• Could really go either way here, I’m surprised he’s not more interested in going somewhere to chase a ring, but he seems like he just wants to keep his roots in Detroit. That likely helps getting a team friendly deal, especially pushing some money into year 2 of the deal to allow the the lowered Cap for 2021

Jarrad Davis LB - 2 Year Deal

• Its obvious DC likes him, and I’d say why not because the talent is still clearly there. It was the right decision to turn down the 5YO, and this deal is very minimal dollars committed to him, basically a 1 year deal with a team option if it clicks in the new scheme/coaching.

Kenny Golladay WR - Franchise Tag

• You just don’t let talent walk. Maybe KG isn’t a long term part of the Lions future, but letting him walk out the door for the potential of a 3rd round Comp pick (at most) is a bad move. By using the Tag, it lets them continue to negotiate, especially if he truly wants to stay in Detroit. If something long term cant be figured out, you use him to help assess Goff, and then you can go through the same thing next offseason. Or if there really is an impasse, he can always be traded, and it shouldn’t be that hard to get something better than a Comp 3rd.

Romeo Okwara EDG - 2 year deal

• Seems a bit odd to think a Pass Rusher like Okwara would only get a 2 year deal, but I think this is going to be the result of a bad 2021 Free Agency period. The lowered Cap is going to hurt the Free Agents just as much as the Teams. Because of that, I’d bet we see a lot of guys trying to grab some decent guaranteed dollars for the next year or two, and set themselves up to be Free Agents again when we are back to a more normal offseason, and under the influx of TV money pushing the Cap much higher than it will be in 2021. And RO is one of those guys young enough to make this play, and be a big time Free Agent again at just 27 years old.

Free Agency

Abry Jones DT - 2 Year Deal

• While most of the FA targets for the Lions will be young untapped talent, you will still need to end up with a few veterans who can duct tape together the roster for one year. Bringing Todd Walsh on, you will likely see a lot of connections made to the JAX guys, and I think this is a likely pairing. The only true DT really worth much coming from there, Jones really will be looking for more of a shot to keep playing especially with some high snap numbers that he has yet to see in JAX. He is a good run defender, but not much else. Will be a decent rotation piece, on a cheap contract who might not make it past one year.

Mike Hilton CB - 3 Year Deal

• Im a big fan of Hilton, and some team is going to be lucky to get him as the Steelers aren’t going to be able to afford him. Especially as we continue to see the 5 DB set grow as the true “base” defense throughout the NFL he is even more of an asset. He is a very good Slot CB, and even more importantly he is very reliable against the run, which is huge when you have to replace a LB with a DB on the field more and more often. With nothing but questions at CB for the Lions, securing a reliable guy as basically your 3rd starting Corner would be huge. And I think he could be picked up on a deal that doesn’t put him in that “Elite” Slot CB spot till his 3rd year, and that wouldn’t even all be guaranteed if he doesn’t live up to it.

Tyus Bowser LB - 3 Year Deal

• I was looking at Bowser as an option for the Lions even before they brought Dukes in as one of the defensive coaches, but that connection might make this even more likely. Bowser just started to blossom this year, but he has some talent that I think fits perfectly in a Defense without a determined identity. He is a true Outside Backer, he can line up there in either even or odd fronts, and while he is still pretty raw even years into the league, that is just the type of chances the Lions should be taking this offseason

I do think there will be a handful of other young and overlooked Free Agents, those won’t likely come until after the Draft when those guys are still looking for playing time to prove themselves, and just like for UFDA, Detroit will be an appealing spot to land due to what should be some playing time up for grabs.

2021 NFL Draft

TRADE: DET sends #7 to WAS for #19+#51+‘22 2nd+‘22 4th

• Even with all the QB movement, someone outside the Top 10 is going to wind up empty handed, and I could easily see that being the Football Team. I could see this move being made even if its for Lance (who I think will impress big time in workouts) and with a Defense already in place, and some good young weapons, WAS could be a great spot to take the shot for Lance, then they pair him with a low upside vet his first year. As for the trade, 19+51 still leaves them about 250 short on most trade charts, add in this being a trade for a QB it will have a premium. But even after the move, this leaves the WFT with most of their 2021 draft intact to address current needs, and also leaves them with their first next year.

R1/19: Jalen Mayfield OT Michigan

• I have been impressed with Mayfield since last year as he has preformed well against some very good (NFL level) pass rushers right out of the gate. I’m impressed with him as an athlete for a big man, and he is only going to get better in the coming years as he is still a bit unseasoned. He has the talent to be a LT, but I think his tools/game best suit him to be a RT. The one thing I’d like to see more out of him is to be a bit of a bully out there, and I think Campbell and his staff could bring that out of him. I know some will say that Tyrell Crosby is already on the team and he can be the RT, but I don’t think he is more than a Swing Tackle in the NFL. And while he could suffice for one year at RT, are you really going to pay him after just inking Decker long term? Especially with Ragnow’s new deal on the horizon? Let some other team overpay Crosby next offseason, collect the Comp Pick and have your OL basically put together for the next 5-8 years. This also allows Vaitai to slide inside to guard, but still have to work to earn those snaps at RG. This also helps immensely in the big project of 2021, seeing if Goff is the future (more on that in a bit)

R2/41: Daviyon Nixon DL Iowa

• I don’t want to get people too excited here, and I’m only talking shades of his game, but Nixon reminds me a bit of Aaron Donald. Again, before you jump all over that, I’m not saying he is the next Donald, no one is, and if that was a widely held belief he would be a Top 10 pick. But his athleticism as a DL, is very impressive. His strength is another big positive, and he has the room to grow more as he is excelling at Iowa mostly off those things and his football instincts. But you add in the technical side of the game and he could be a star. The Interior DL class is pretty weak, so he could get artificially inflated come draft day, but he would be a great pickup here in the second, and be the cornerstone of the DL rebuild.

TRADE: DET sends #51 to CLE for #59+#122

• A pretty simple trade, Holmes will want to add some draft capital to be able to move around the board in order to ensure the talent they are targeting. The Browns already have some extra middle rounders that they will likely use in order to make moves like this as they feel like true contenders now and need to make sure they get pieces that will contribute immediately. They do that here especially to make sure they get the last player at the impact level of their board.

R2/59: Amon-Ra St. Brown WR USC

• Just like jrry has his draft crushes, so do I, and ARSB is that guy. The idea of teaming him up with Goff is salivating to me, as a crisp impressive route runner, who can do the most damage in the intermediate area of the field they would be instant magic. He has the ability to be a deep threat as well. With his aggressiveness/toughness and pure hands he will go get every ball thrown his way. I could gush on him all day, but the bigger point is getting enough pieces in place, in order to be able to properly evaluate Jared Goff. If you put together a great OL (which Mayfield would provide) and then a true arsenal of weapons (Swift/Hock/ARSB/Cephus and with or without KG) they should be able to decide if he is the QB of the future for them. And if not, they should be in good position to grab that guy in ‘22 or ‘23 with a great situation to walk in to.

TRADE: HOU sends #67 to DET for #72+#136

• As I said, there will be a few targeted guys in this draft that Holmes will move around for, this is a good time to make sure you get one of the last guys you see as an immediate starter in this draft. The Texans need to be recouping more draft picks than just their one pick here, even though its their first of the Draft.

R3/67: Pete Werner LB Ohio St

• I am in lock step with jrry and it seems many others here on the Lions form. Werner is a great fit for the centerpiece to revamp this defense. He doesn’t have the athleticism of Nick Bolton, so he isn’t quite a Top 50 talent, but he’s not Tuff Borland stiff either. I think he is the best fit here because of his ability to be a major contributor in either an even or odd man front. He is often projected as a SAM, but I think he has what it takes to be a MIKE as well, but was shifted away from that due to OSUs other talent and where they coul (or could not) play. But in a defenses that looks to be set up to be multiple, he could be an every down LB who can stuff the run and cover most of the guys in the league. May seem a bit redundant to some with the Bowser pickup, but I envision them playing very different roles in this morphing defense.

R3/88: Rashad Weaver DL Pitt

• Line coaches will drool over Weaver, but scouts will be less bullish on him. He is already very polished as a rusher and run defender, but he is a limited athlete, and while he came back from the ACL and looks healthy, it feels like it limited him a little bit more. But he is a guy who would be a great rotational piece as the new staff decides if Bryant, Hand and others will be with the team long term. He is basically the exact opposite of Nixon, doesn’t have the eye popping athleticism, but has all the moves/tools already. I’d feel very good about those 2 as the 5-techs in a 3 down look, and would be a very good young core in a 4-down look. 

R4/102: Israel Mukuamu DB South Carolina

• So I don’t love him as a pure corner, and I don’t think many teams will. But I do love him as a wild card DB who can line up all over the place, especially as much as you need to get DBs on the field in todays game. He could honestly line up most of the time as one of your Safeties and I think he would be very impactful. He’s the guy I like, but Holmes has done a great job of finding these type of DBs.

R4/122: Keith Taylor DB Washington

• He wasn’t really on my radar for you guys before Sr Bowl week, but I really liked how sticky he was in practices. He challenged just about everyone down there and he really played himself into a solid draft spot. He has he build to be a solid #2 corner, and I like a lot of his tools, but he finally showed it down in Mobile. These picks will be crucial on how to build the back end of the roster, and something that Holmes has been very good at.

While this might not be the most exciting offseason overall, it is setting up for the best and most efficient turn around of the Franchise (in my eyes). Step 1 is clearing the dead cap for the future. Step 2 is figuring out what Goff is; a 2 year stop gap while rebuilding, or the QB of the future. And then Step 3, keep/collect as much talent and future assets as possible, and fit the rest around it later. I think this sets up a team that can put up some points, but would be a very leaky defense. Its the most exciting way to rebuild, because games will be fun to watch but you still end up on the losing side most of the time to get another Top 10 draft pick. In that case, if Goff doesn’t look like he will ever bounce back, you have the starting pick and addition ammo to go get the QB you want. If he does look great and you are averaging 27pts a game, but giving up 35, then you get yourself a defensive stud up top as a bunch more good players with those other picks. (Additional Future picks; Rams 1st for ‘22 & ‘23, WFT 2nd & 4th in ‘22, plus a few Day 3 picks in ‘22 for some traded players)

This was fun to do, I obviously don’t know as much about the team/franchise as the rest of you, but this would be my approach to the rebuild. (I also think thats why DC got a 6 year deal, because this wont really count as a year as far as expectations go) Let me know what you think.

• Like 2

similar names I keep drafting. idk about mayfield so early but we know its going to happen. shoot radunz will probably too. i like getting rid of the ex patriots. i like where its headed. i love trade down multiple times throughout i think thats really important. were like 18 players away from a team lol...we need picks..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

OK, so I figured I’d take a stab at this, Mocks and offseason planing is one of my favorite things. But I will give a bit of a disclaimer here, this isn’t going to fix everything, it might actually leave the team with “less” overall talent than what the Lions went into 2020 with, but this offseason is about setting the Franchise up for the future. Not only level setting with the talent that fits what they want to do going forward, but also cleaning the slate when it comes to the Salary Cap as quickly as possible. While also collecting some good versatile talent, and plenty of Draft picks for the future. (Working off of the most recent high point of $185m for the 2021 Cap)

Roster Moves

CUT Desmond Trufant - $6.19 Cap Savings in 2021

• This seems like the most obvious one to move on from, and while you would like to possibly try to get something out of him via trade, his 2020 season won’t likely let that happen. Plus the contract, doubt anyone is going to take that on when they can probably get him for close to the vet minimum for 2021 after he is cut.

CUT Nick Williams - $4.70m Cap Savings in 2021

• After a bit of a panic signing and overpay last offseason its time to just cut the losses as this production could likely be replicated by a late round draft pick or UDFA, which I believe the Lions will be a hot bed for this offseason. Plus you might as well give these snaps to the young cheap guys like Penisini who showed a little something and Cornell coming back from injury

CUT Danny Shelton - $4.00m Cap Savings in 2021

• Overpaid and tack on all the injuries to end the season, this is an easy move. I saw some no name B/R writer suggesting the Giants Trade for Shelton, if anyone wants to toss late rounders for any of these guys, the Lions should jump all over it, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up for that as high as their base salaries are for not much production recently.

CUT Joe Dahl - $2.87m Cap Savings in 2021

• Seems like a fine backup, but wont be around much longer so why pay him? Although preformed admirably at Center, so that little bit of versatility might mean theres a market for him. But if not, Bodine should be back as well as new young talent to pick up.

CUT Justin Coleman (Post 6/1 Designation) - $9.00m Cap Savings in 2021 / $6.97m Cap Savings in 2022

• While looking around about the current roster, I really haven’t heard a single good thing about Coleman. Its going to be a little weird going into the season leaning so heavily on Okudah who had a disappointing rookie season, but I think it would be the best way forward. Pushing some of the cap into next year helps sign some potential talent while the defense transitions.

CUT Jesse James (Post 6/1 Designation) - $5.00m Cap Savings in 2021 / $4.32m Cap Savings in 2022

• It absolutely SHOCKED me that James had this much on his contract. I don’t need to tell you guys, but just cut him now and pretend it never happened. TJ is a stud, and I feel like you can fill the rest of the depth chart with some high upside guys (including Bryant)

CUT Christian Jones (Post 6/1 Designation) - $3.56m Cap Savings in 2021

• I feel like almost none of the Lions LBs fit what they were trying to run, or were in the completely wrong position. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you all that, but I just don’t see the need to keep Jones around. 

TRADE Trey Flowers (for 2022 5th Rounder) - $3.15 Cap Savings in 2021 / $22.24m Cap Savings in 2022

• A couple of bold moves coming up, I cant remember which of you threw out the idea of some Post Draft trades coming this year, and I definitely agree. There are going to be some contenders who miss out on the guys they need, and even with some high cap numbers, I think teams who feel they need one more piece will make it work for 2021. While the true identity of the Defense will need to be uncovered, I don’t think they are going to stick to strictly a 4-3 front, most of the best defenses are moving more hybrid, and when doing a full rebuild of that side of the ball, seems like you want as many flexible pieces as you can, and to me Flowers is strictly a DE in an even front, which could limit the possibilities. The acquiring team will take on a large base salary, so the return may seem minimal, but the real reward here is getting completely out of the ‘22 and ‘23 dollars. Even if you think he was worth hanging onto because you don’t want to completely tank the defense, by the time you completely rebuild (even with him) would you want to be re-signing a 31 year old Pass Rusher in 2024?

TRADE Jamie Collins (for 2022 6th Rounder) - $6.67m Cap Savings in 2021 / $12.33m Cap Savings in 2022

• In a very similar situation to Flowers, Collins is just better suited to help out a contender at this point. The LBs need just as big of an overhaul as the Line does, so why hinder yourself with an aging vet in there. Not too much in return here either, but again he comes with a large price tag to the new team. Plus those Day 3 picks are where Holmes has found plenty of gold for the Rams in the past, just let him collect more bullets in those rounds.

Now, that is a lot of “Names” walking out the door, but every single one of them is quite overpaid, and there isn’t a single player on this list that would be on the 2023 roster much less contributing to it. Time to cut the dead weight now during what I believe the Lions FO/Ownership is looking at as a “Free Spin” year. The Draft/Scouting process is all jumbled this year, it seems like they are ready to value future assets more than picks this year, and are looking to clear the deck chairs in 2021, and go full press for 2022. While these cuts and trades make some additional room for 2021, they are much more important for 2022 and beyond. While a few were post 6/1 moves, that only pushes a total of $8m into 2022 (if the Cap would sneak up to $190-195, then they wouldn’t do this) but if that space isn’t needed for 2021, it can all just be rolled over for 2022 and take care of it that way depending on the FA talent they can pull in. But the most important part is, prior to any Free Agent signings, or Draft Pick contracts, and not yet counting the Ragnow 5th year option, The Lions are looking at more than $120m in Cap Space for 2022 (when you add in the cut of Chase Daniel).

Tenders

• Michael Ford
  • Jason Cabinda
  • Matt Nelson
  • Jack Fox

No reason not to tender any of these guys at this point, especially with a lower Cap, these tenders will be lower as well. 

Re-Signings

Matt Prater K - 2 Year Deal

• Could really go either way here, I’m surprised he’s not more interested in going somewhere to chase a ring, but he seems like he just wants to keep his roots in Detroit. That likely helps getting a team friendly deal, especially pushing some money into year 2 of the deal to allow the the lowered Cap for 2021

Jarrad Davis LB - 2 Year Deal

• Its obvious DC likes him, and I’d say why not because the talent is still clearly there. It was the right decision to turn down the 5YO, and this deal is very minimal dollars committed to him, basically a 1 year deal with a team option if it clicks in the new scheme/coaching.

Kenny Golladay WR - Franchise Tag

• You just don’t let talent walk. Maybe KG isn’t a long term part of the Lions future, but letting him walk out the door for the potential of a 3rd round Comp pick (at most) is a bad move. By using the Tag, it lets them continue to negotiate, especially if he truly wants to stay in Detroit. If something long term cant be figured out, you use him to help assess Goff, and then you can go through the same thing next offseason. Or if there really is an impasse, he can always be traded, and it shouldn’t be that hard to get something better than a Comp 3rd.

Romeo Okwara EDG - 2 year deal

• Seems a bit odd to think a Pass Rusher like Okwara would only get a 2 year deal, but I think this is going to be the result of a bad 2021 Free Agency period. The lowered Cap is going to hurt the Free Agents just as much as the Teams. Because of that, I’d bet we see a lot of guys trying to grab some decent guaranteed dollars for the next year or two, and set themselves up to be Free Agents again when we are back to a more normal offseason, and under the influx of TV money pushing the Cap much higher than it will be in 2021. And RO is one of those guys young enough to make this play, and be a big time Free Agent again at just 27 years old.

Free Agency

Abry Jones DT - 2 Year Deal

• While most of the FA targets for the Lions will be young untapped talent, you will still need to end up with a few veterans who can duct tape together the roster for one year. Bringing Todd Walsh on, you will likely see a lot of connections made to the JAX guys, and I think this is a likely pairing. The only true DT really worth much coming from there, Jones really will be looking for more of a shot to keep playing especially with some high snap numbers that he has yet to see in JAX. He is a good run defender, but not much else. Will be a decent rotation piece, on a cheap contract who might not make it past one year.

Mike Hilton CB - 3 Year Deal

• Im a big fan of Hilton, and some team is going to be lucky to get him as the Steelers aren’t going to be able to afford him. Especially as we continue to see the 5 DB set grow as the true “base” defense throughout the NFL he is even more of an asset. He is a very good Slot CB, and even more importantly he is very reliable against the run, which is huge when you have to replace a LB with a DB on the field more and more often. With nothing but questions at CB for the Lions, securing a reliable guy as basically your 3rd starting Corner would be huge. And I think he could be picked up on a deal that doesn’t put him in that “Elite” Slot CB spot till his 3rd year, and that wouldn’t even all be guaranteed if he doesn’t live up to it.

Tyus Bowser LB - 3 Year Deal

• I was looking at Bowser as an option for the Lions even before they brought Dukes in as one of the defensive coaches, but that connection might make this even more likely. Bowser just started to blossom this year, but he has some talent that I think fits perfectly in a Defense without a determined identity. He is a true Outside Backer, he can line up there in either even or odd fronts, and while he is still pretty raw even years into the league, that is just the type of chances the Lions should be taking this offseason

I do think there will be a handful of other young and overlooked Free Agents, those won’t likely come until after the Draft when those guys are still looking for playing time to prove themselves, and just like for UFDA, Detroit will be an appealing spot to land due to what should be some playing time up for grabs.

2021 NFL Draft

TRADE: DET sends #7 to WAS for #19+#51+‘22 2nd+‘22 4th

• Even with all the QB movement, someone outside the Top 10 is going to wind up empty handed, and I could easily see that being the Football Team. I could see this move being made even if its for Lance (who I think will impress big time in workouts) and with a Defense already in place, and some good young weapons, WAS could be a great spot to take the shot for Lance, then they pair him with a low upside vet his first year. As for the trade, 19+51 still leaves them about 250 short on most trade charts, add in this being a trade for a QB it will have a premium. But even after the move, this leaves the WFT with most of their 2021 draft intact to address current needs, and also leaves them with their first next year.

R1/19: Jalen Mayfield OT Michigan

• I have been impressed with Mayfield since last year as he has preformed well against some very good (NFL level) pass rushers right out of the gate. I’m impressed with him as an athlete for a big man, and he is only going to get better in the coming years as he is still a bit unseasoned. He has the talent to be a LT, but I think his tools/game best suit him to be a RT. The one thing I’d like to see more out of him is to be a bit of a bully out there, and I think Campbell and his staff could bring that out of him. I know some will say that Tyrell Crosby is already on the team and he can be the RT, but I don’t think he is more than a Swing Tackle in the NFL. And while he could suffice for one year at RT, are you really going to pay him after just inking Decker long term? Especially with Ragnow’s new deal on the horizon? Let some other team overpay Crosby next offseason, collect the Comp Pick and have your OL basically put together for the next 5-8 years. This also allows Vaitai to slide inside to guard, but still have to work to earn those snaps at RG. This also helps immensely in the big project of 2021, seeing if Goff is the future (more on that in a bit)

R2/41: Daviyon Nixon DL Iowa

• I don’t want to get people too excited here, and I’m only talking shades of his game, but Nixon reminds me a bit of Aaron Donald. Again, before you jump all over that, I’m not saying he is the next Donald, no one is, and if that was a widely held belief he would be a Top 10 pick. But his athleticism as a DL, is very impressive. His strength is another big positive, and he has the room to grow more as he is excelling at Iowa mostly off those things and his football instincts. But you add in the technical side of the game and he could be a star. The Interior DL class is pretty weak, so he could get artificially inflated come draft day, but he would be a great pickup here in the second, and be the cornerstone of the DL rebuild.

TRADE: DET sends #51 to CLE for #59+#122

• A pretty simple trade, Holmes will want to add some draft capital to be able to move around the board in order to ensure the talent they are targeting. The Browns already have some extra middle rounders that they will likely use in order to make moves like this as they feel like true contenders now and need to make sure they get pieces that will contribute immediately. They do that here especially to make sure they get the last player at the impact level of their board.

R2/59: Amon-Ra St. Brown WR USC

• Just like jrry has his draft crushes, so do I, and ARSB is that guy. The idea of teaming him up with Goff is salivating to me, as a crisp impressive route runner, who can do the most damage in the intermediate area of the field they would be instant magic. He has the ability to be a deep threat as well. With his aggressiveness/toughness and pure hands he will go get every ball thrown his way. I could gush on him all day, but the bigger point is getting enough pieces in place, in order to be able to properly evaluate Jared Goff. If you put together a great OL (which Mayfield would provide) and then a true arsenal of weapons (Swift/Hock/ARSB/Cephus and with or without KG) they should be able to decide if he is the QB of the future for them. And if not, they should be in good position to grab that guy in ‘22 or ‘23 with a great situation to walk in to.

TRADE: HOU sends #67 to DET for #72+#136

• As I said, there will be a few targeted guys in this draft that Holmes will move around for, this is a good time to make sure you get one of the last guys you see as an immediate starter in this draft. The Texans need to be recouping more draft picks than just their one pick here, even though its their first of the Draft.

R3/67: Pete Werner LB Ohio St

• I am in lock step with jrry and it seems many others here on the Lions form. Werner is a great fit for the centerpiece to revamp this defense. He doesn’t have the athleticism of Nick Bolton, so he isn’t quite a Top 50 talent, but he’s not Tuff Borland stiff either. I think he is the best fit here because of his ability to be a major contributor in either an even or odd man front. He is often projected as a SAM, but I think he has what it takes to be a MIKE as well, but was shifted away from that due to OSUs other talent and where they coul (or could not) play. But in a defenses that looks to be set up to be multiple, he could be an every down LB who can stuff the run and cover most of the guys in the league. May seem a bit redundant to some with the Bowser pickup, but I envision them playing very different roles in this morphing defense.

R3/88: Rashad Weaver DL Pitt

• Line coaches will drool over Weaver, but scouts will be less bullish on him. He is already very polished as a rusher and run defender, but he is a limited athlete, and while he came back from the ACL and looks healthy, it feels like it limited him a little bit more. But he is a guy who would be a great rotational piece as the new staff decides if Bryant, Hand and others will be with the team long term. He is basically the exact opposite of Nixon, doesn’t have the eye popping athleticism, but has all the moves/tools already. I’d feel very good about those 2 as the 5-techs in a 3 down look, and would be a very good young core in a 4-down look. 

R4/102: Israel Mukuamu DB South Carolina

• So I don’t love him as a pure corner, and I don’t think many teams will. But I do love him as a wild card DB who can line up all over the place, especially as much as you need to get DBs on the field in todays game. He could honestly line up most of the time as one of your Safeties and I think he would be very impactful. He’s the guy I like, but Holmes has done a great job of finding these type of DBs.

R4/122: Keith Taylor DB Washington

• He wasn’t really on my radar for you guys before Sr Bowl week, but I really liked how sticky he was in practices. He challenged just about everyone down there and he really played himself into a solid draft spot. He has he build to be a solid #2 corner, and I like a lot of his tools, but he finally showed it down in Mobile. These picks will be crucial on how to build the back end of the roster, and something that Holmes has been very good at.

While this might not be the most exciting offseason overall, it is setting up for the best and most efficient turn around of the Franchise (in my eyes). Step 1 is clearing the dead cap for the future. Step 2 is figuring out what Goff is; a 2 year stop gap while rebuilding, or the QB of the future. And then Step 3, keep/collect as much talent and future assets as possible, and fit the rest around it later. I think this sets up a team that can put up some points, but would be a very leaky defense. Its the most exciting way to rebuild, because games will be fun to watch but you still end up on the losing side most of the time to get another Top 10 draft pick. In that case, if Goff doesn’t look like he will ever bounce back, you have the starting pick and addition ammo to go get the QB you want. If he does look great and you are averaging 27pts a game, but giving up 35, then you get yourself a defensive stud up top as a bunch more good players with those other picks. (Additional Future picks; Rams 1st for ‘22 & ‘23, WFT 2nd & 4th in ‘22, plus a few Day 3 picks in ‘22 for some traded players)

This was fun to do, I obviously don’t know as much about the team/franchise as the rest of you, but this would be my approach to the rebuild. (I also think thats why DC got a 6 year deal, because this wont really count as a year as far as expectations go) Let me know what you think.

CUTS: I'm on board with all of those but they do lead up to a bunch of dead cap. I'm still good with it but some will be opposed.

ROUND 1: I was initially against your idea of drafting a RT in the first round. Then I took a look at the 32 top RT contracts (according to OTC) and broke things down to support my position. 

Then I realized I was wrong. 10/32 were drafted in the 1st round; 9/32 were UDFA's; 5/32 were 5th round picks; 2/32 were 2nd, 3rd, 4th (no 6th round picks). Where I would divert from this though is that it does seem to be a decent OT class at least a deep one and a guy like Walker Little is probably going to be available in the 2nd or 3rd round and would be very effective in that role or even a viable LTOTF candidate. While I may disagree on investing our 2021 pick in that particular position/guy, I can understand and get behind the reasoning behind it. We need to invest in our lines, principally on the defensive line but also on the offensive side. 

ROUND 2: If you're not taking someone like Barmore in Rd 1, this is a nice pick. We need WR help and you seem to have a better idea of the type of WR that Goff/Holmes are likely going to be inclined towards. 

ROUND 3: We need to add talent to our LB corp. Not opposed to Werner although I like other LB's better at this point. It depends on what it is that you plan on doing with Jarrad Davis. If you play him outside at SLB, then maybe Werner makes more sense. If you're keeping JD at MIKE, then we really need someone who is strong in coverage. 

ROUND 4: We definitely need upgrades in the secondary. I like this double dipping since we have holes at both CB and S spots

Overall, a good effort and it's nice to get a different perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFL_Fan said:

idk about mayfield so early but we know its going to happen. shoot radunz will probably too. i like getting rid of the ex patriots. i like where its headed.

I get that, I do, but I also think we are going to see like 10 lineman go in the first round and the “middle round lineman” will thin out very quickly

Edited by StLunatic88

52 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

CUTS: I'm on board with all of those but they do lead up to a bunch of dead cap. I'm still good with it but some will be opposed.

Yes, the dead cap is tough to swallow, especially when some of them could still be contributors for atleast this year, but its not really about this year. If there is already a 50/50 shot that you’re going to “stink” for a lack of a better word, might as well bite the bullet and get rid of the bad future contracts now and not have to maneuver them when you are trying to kick start the comeback

54 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

ROUND 1: I was initially against your idea of drafting a RT in the first round. Then I took a look at the 32 top RT contracts (according to OTC) and broke things down to support my position. 

I understand the resistance here, but my reasoning is two fold here that I didn’t really explain in the mock (did in the previous response a little). I think there is some very interesting OL talent in the draft, and there is definitely an approach that you wait on a guy later who is a bit of a project and hope he falls to you (I used to be on Little, but the more I look the more I’m worried about him) but I also think that a lot of this OL talent will be pushed up the draft board, I can see 10+ lineman going in the first round this year, its all QBs, WRs and OL at the top of the Draft talent. 

But more importantly, regardless of the amount of OL that go, not only am I a big proponent that the OL drive everything on the team, but Mayfield is a guy who will eventually be a LT in the NFL (a very Orlando Brown situation, hopefully without the IG posts) and he can be a good-to-dominant RT for the first 3/4 years of his NFL career and when you’re hitting his 5YO Decker will be ending his current contract, and Mayfield can flip right on over and you are set for basically a decade at LT (in my eyes)

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yes, the dead cap is tough to swallow, especially when some of them could still be contributors for atleast this year, but its not really about this year. If there is already a 50/50 shot that you’re going to “stink” for a lack of a better word, might as well bite the bullet and get rid of the bad future contracts now and not have to maneuver them when you are trying to kick start the comeback

I understand the resistance here, but my reasoning is two fold here that I didn’t really explain in the mock (did in the previous response a little). I think there is some very interesting OL talent in the draft, and there is definitely an approach that you wait on a guy later who is a bit of a project and hope he falls to you (I used to be on Little, but the more I look the more I’m worried about him) but I also think that a lot of this OL talent will be pushed up the draft board, I can see 10+ lineman going in the first round this year, its all QBs, WRs and OL at the top of the Draft talent. 

But more importantly, regardless of the amount of OL that go, not only am I a big proponent that the OL drive everything on the team, but Mayfield is a guy who will eventually be a LT in the NFL (a very Orlando Brown situation, hopefully without the IG posts) and he can be a good-to-dominant RT for the first 3/4 years of his NFL career and when you’re hitting his 5YO Decker will be ending his current contract, and Mayfield can flip right on over and you are set for basically a decade at LT (in my eyes)

You didn't have to sell me on the dead cap stuff, that was just something that was brought up in another mock of mine and I know it'll be brought up again. I'm in line with that thinking. If we're going to be the phoenix that rises from the ashes, let's throw gasoline on this thing and burn it all down so that we can bounce back next year. 

You could very well be right on the run on OT's and if he has LT potential, that's not a bad use of draft capital. Like I had said - I was leaning against it but prefer to support my thinking with something of substance. When I started to put it together it was like "hmm... maybe he is onto something here". 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

@StLunatic88 What are your thoughts on how Tylan Wallace and Amari Rodgers would fit in a Goff-centric offense?

Wallace is very nice option to get vertical in an offense, but I do have worries about his Knee in the long run, not necessarily in a career ending way, but he has just enough speed and just enough explosion at the top of his routes to be a real problem right now. But if he has any deterioration there, feels like he could fall off the map quick. I did like a lot of what he showed at the Sr Bowl, feels like he has more to his game that he got to show at OKSt, and could fit very well if you are looking to maximize Goff’s talents. Just that knee though, watch out.

Rodgers is a completely different beast, he would benefit any offense and any QB. He’s like having another RB on the field, who has also made huge strides in his route tree this past year. I think he is going to be a playmaker wherever he ends up. He will tear it up with his work underneath and be a threat in the intermediate as well, Goff would make good use of that.

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Wallace is very nice option to get vertical in an offense, but I do have worries about his Knee in the long run, not necessarily in a career ending way, but he has just enough speed and just enough explosion at the top of his routes to be a real problem right now. But if he has any deterioration there, feels like he could fall off the map quick. I did like a lot of what he showed at the Sr Bowl, feels like he has more to his game that he got to show at OKSt, and could fit very well if you are looking to maximize Goff’s talents. Just that knee though, watch out.

Rodgers is a completely different beast, he would benefit any offense and any QB. He’s like having another RB on the field, who has also made huge strides in his route tree this past year. I think he is going to be a playmaker wherever he ends up. He will tear it up with his work underneath and be a threat in the intermediate as well, Goff would make good use of that.

I think Rodgers is going to wind up as a second round guy. He's in the 3rd-4th round conversation right now but I think he'll be a quick riser.

He reminds me SO much of Golden Tate and maybe even a poor-man's OBJ with his body control and magnets in hands. From what you and @jrry32 have described as Goff's strengths, I just watch the tape and am like "that's the dude". 

• Like 2

- if anyone offered the Lions any pick for Collins or Shelton I would take it in a heartbeat. I'm skeptical though.

- I'd trade Flowers too, and that could maybe happen, who knows.

- I don't think Coleman is as worthless as everyone else seems to, I think he's still got value as a nickel corner.

- I've said elsewhere that I believe Golladay and Okwara are gone. I particularly wouldn't re-sign Okwara, I don't think he's as good as the money he will get. He gets to the QB enough times to look good but I don't see the consistency going forward.

- The FA pickups are fine, the draft doesn't impress me very much. I like Nixon but I feel like he's on the path to be a riser and get in the first round.

Edited by Superduperman

44 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

- if anyone offered the Lions any pick for Collins or Shelton I would take it in a heartbeat. I'm skeptical though

Yea that’s why I don’t have them being traded just cut. I threw that idea out there because some other person in B/R mentioned it. Very unlikely though. 

48 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

- I don't think Coleman is as worthless as everyone else seems to, I think he's still got value as a nickel corner

Ok, that’s fine if he has some value, but does he have atleast $15m in value? Because that’s what it would cost to keep him this year. Not just $11m in 2021, but also another $4m if you were to cut him next season (another full $11m if you would keep him again). So is a maybe decent Nickel Back with an extra $9m? I’d say no, especially for one who isn’t going to be here when the turn around happens

52 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

- I've said elsewhere that I believe Golladay and Okwara are gone. I particularly wouldn't re-sign Okwara, I don't think he's as good as the money he will get. He gets to the QB enough times to look good but I don't see the consistency going forward

It’s going to be hard to ever convince me that it’s a good idea to just let KG walk for basically nothing. 

But if that’s how you feel about Okwara I would agree with you, although I’m not advocating throwing him a 5 year deal, and paying him like an Elite Pass Rusher. I think it might be a circumstance of a messed up offseason, where the money (especially long term) isn’t going to be out there, and he could be retained on a shorter deal. One that lets you see him in the new defensive scheme, and you get another year or two to decide if he can be consistent in that environment. If it’s more of the same, you let him walk.