2021 DRAFT PROSPECTS

Karnage84

Pass rush is super important, but I dont live and die by it.  But based on our current make up, the DL and then the LBs are the weakest talent wise.  We struggle to get to the QB more than we do to cover IMO.  We struggle to get to the QB more than we struggle to stop the run.  Its all related, and we need talent in multiple areas, I guess I am just much more optimistic about our CBs excelling in a good system and with a solid pass rush than I am about our D line and LBs excelling with a better CB.  I think I would rather see if we can develop Okudah and AO than dump more resources in a position that will still struggle despite that.  I dont see a cant midd guy, so give me the best pieces to help our current young core. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Pass rush is super important, but I dont live and die by it.  But based on our current make up, the DL and then the LBs are the weakest talent wise.  We struggle to get to the QB more than we do to cover IMO.  We struggle to get to the QB more than we struggle to stop the run.  Its all related, and we need talent in multiple areas, I guess I am just much more optimistic about our CBs excelling in a good system and with a solid pass rush than I am about our D line and LBs excelling with a better CB.  I think I would rather see if we can develop Okudah and AO than dump more resources in a position that will still struggle despite that.  I dont see a cant midd guy, so give me the best pieces to help our current young core. 

And I get all of that, and I don't really disagree. (Although our coverage was also abysmal in 2020.)

With how common nickel defenses are in the NFL, a third CB plays quite a bit. I also tend not to look at just our 2021 roster, as I do feel we're in somewhat of a rebuild right now, but at the years that follow.

So, if there was a top-tier CB available, and if that player were BPA at #7, we could still bolster our front seven with a few of our 11 remaining 1st-3rd round picks over the next three years. I think that would be an effective way to revamp this defense.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

And I get all of that, and I don't really disagree. (Although our coverage was also abysmal in 2020.)

With how common nickel defenses are in the NFL, a third CB plays quite a bit. I also tend not to look at just our 2021 roster, as I do feel we're in somewhat of a rebuild right now, but at the years that follow.

So, if there was a top-tier CB available, and if that player were BPA at #7, we could still bolster our front seven with a few of our 11 remaining 1st-3rd round picks over the next three years. I think that would be an effective way to revamp this defense.

i disagree. i like top ten cbs as much as i like top 10 tes....NOT WORTH IT lol..

3 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I know we run in circles but our coverage was awful IMO due to lack of pass rush and overall poor scheme.  We had guys playing out of position and forced a lot on people that didnt make sense.  

And yes, i understand having a third CB is important, but so is having two starting DEs and two starting DTs.  A third CB is much easier to find than a starter at any D line position.  

And I also look ahead at our roster, and thats my point, I believe AO and Okudah are legit outside CBs in a couple of years.  I dont see the need in investing more into a future strength.  Now if they dont continue to develop that can be reassessed, but given my stance now, we dont have a front 7 player on the roster currently I see being a part of this team in 2022 as far as starters.  Not a single building block. Some decent rotational guys like Penisini and maybe Julian Okwara but the rest are roster fodder.  

Just now, NFL_Fan said:

i disagree. i like top ten cbs as much as i like top 10 tes....NOT WORTH IT lol..

So what made Henderson different in the 2020 draft? (Honest question. The "I would've preferred trading down and taking a CB prospect which rated close to the guy we drafted at #3" line of thinking is very reasonable.)

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I know we run in circles but our coverage was awful IMO due to lack of pass rush and overall poor scheme.  We had guys playing out of position and forced a lot on people that didnt make sense.  

And yes, i understand having a third CB is important, but so is having two starting DEs and two starting DTs.  A third CB is much easier to find than a starter at any D line position.  

And I also look ahead at our roster, and thats my point, I believe AO and Okudah are legit outside CBs in a couple of years.  I dont see the need in investing more into a future strength.  Now if they dont continue to develop that can be reassessed, but given my stance now, we dont have a front 7 player on the roster currently I see being a part of this team in 2022 as far as starters.  Not a single building block. Some decent rotational guys like Penisini and maybe Julian Okwara but the rest are roster fodder.  

I agree. I think we're running in circles.

We've already agreed that, if a CB were the clear-cut BPA at #7, you'd be fine with the pick. That's where I am, and why I'd be good with it: I can see the benefit. If two players were close, one CB and one DT/DE/LB, I wouldn't be against taking any of those players.

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think that's it for me. Instead of having to use two players to stop one, you'd only need one, freeing that other player up for another purpose. I don't see how that can go ignored.

Not really, no. Because you still only have two studs at CB. I think you're misunderstanding me when I talk about help. I am talking about rolling coverages. It often helps an entire side of the field. Even if you have two stud CBs, offenses still have slot WRs, TEs, HBs, etc. If you have coverage liabilities elsewhere, they can still punish them, especially if you lack a pass rush. Yes, you'll be able to help. But that can only do so much if you can't pressure the QB or stop the run effectively.

We definitely lack talent in the front seven, but guys like Julian Okwara, Jahlani Tavai, John Penisini, Da'Shawn Hand and Austin Bryant were either drafted early or flashed upside. Combined with Trey Flowers and Dan Campbell's interest in Jarrad Davis, it would make sense for the new coaching staff to see what they've got in some of these guys. We also have a bunch of picks that could be spent on the front seven.

I think there's a gulf of difference between a guy like Okudah, who was drafted at #3 overall, and the guys you named. You could throw Amani Oruwariye on that list too. But yes, I agree it makes sense to see what you have in those guys to some degree. Regardless, you're still left with holes at LB and on the DL.

If a CB prospect were the best player available at #7, I'd love the pick.

I'll just say that I don't expect a CB to be the BPA, and if one were, I'd trade down. I don't see enough value in taking a CB in the top 10. It's not an efficient allocation of resources.