There hasn't been a Hall of Fame-worthy RB drafted in over a decade

Apparition

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Which is why Yards from Scrimmage should be the benchmark. Not rushing yards.

I agree.

And by this metric, we should also be giving a second look at the careers of guys like Matt Forte, Chris Johnson and Warrick Dunn as well. 

And Roger Craig should have been inducted ages ago. 

Just like the HoF bar is moving up for QB and WR, the bar for RB is going to lower

Tiki, S-Jax, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor, Corey Dillion, Warrick Dunn, Eddie George.. those guys may not have gotten in with 10k yards in 10 seasons and no (or 1) All Pro

But If LeVeon or Gurley gets there with two All Pros? idk, it might be a product of this new era that he gets in when they don't. Henry or McCaffrey pick up another 1 or 2 All Pros? Barkley gets over the injury bug and wins a couple? We might be looking at an era where a shorter career of brilliance might be enough

22 minutes ago, Starless said:

I agree.

And by this metric, we should also be giving a second look at the careers of guys like Matt Forte, Chris Johnson and Warrick Dunn as well. 

And Roger Craig should have been inducted ages ago. 

Just like the upcoming debate of "are Rivers, Stafford, Ryan, etc Hall of Famers?" I think we will face the same thing with RB

You have to compare them to their eras. I don't disagree on CJ2K specifically.. but I think for Matt Forte and Warrick Dunn the issue isn't the comparative lack of rushing yards and the ignoring of the scrimmage yards, as much as they were never near the top of their eras and just don't stack up favorably to their peers (imo)

I think I'd include Jamaal Charles in there as well as someone who needs to get more HoF discussion

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 2

Big if, health being that biggest issue, but what about Dalvin Cook? He’s at 33 career rushing TD. As long as Zimmer is there, he will get plenty of opportunities. 4 more years at 1200 yards each would put him at 8k for his career. He’s 25 years old right now. 

Lots of ifs for sure, but that seems what this thread is going for.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Big if, health being that biggest issue, but what about Dalvin Cook? He’s at 33 career rushing TD. As long as Zimmer is there, he will get plenty of opportunities. 4 more years at 1200 yards each would put him at 8k for his career. He’s 25 years old right now. 

He'll get in if he stays healthy for the next 3 years and puts up All pro numbers. The issue with RBs is they usually need to produce right away. The same goes for Henry, he is already 26, the clock is running against him. Kamara has 4 straight Pro Bowl selections. If he even has only 2 more of those, he will be be a HOFer most likely. You really only have about 8 years tops in the league as a RB to produce at a top level, most cases closer to 6 years. So basically those RBs need to be great every year in their prime or have 1 or 2 insane playoff runs like T. Davis.

I'm okay with Hall Of Very Good for these guys. RB is already over-represented in the Hall of Fame. There are 32 RBs already in the Hall Of Fame. Meanwhile, there are only 48 OL, 38 DL, 31 LBs, and 36 DBs. There are other positions where guys that were named All-Pro a bunch of times (e.g. Steve Wisniewski, Karl Mecklenburg, Randy Gradishar, LeRoy Butler, Zach Thomas, Lomas Brown, Ray Childress) have been waiting a long time to get in the Hall of Fame.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/positions/

Edited by TheEagle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

If he puts together four more great years he has a chance. His pace is not there right now due to health. He's a longshot at this point.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire. He's a talented receiver and runner, big game performer, just had a great rookie season, his teammates voted him team rookie of the year. He had a great superbowl performance with the touches he was given, and will have many more chances in his career to collect super bowl MVPs.