There hasn't been a Hall of Fame-worthy RB drafted in over a decade

Apparition

Kamara, McCaffrey, and Henry all seem like they could get there depending how these next few years go for them.

For example, Kamara through 4 seasons has over 6,000 scrimmage yards and 59 touchdowns (63 touchdowns including playoffs). If he does similar in the next 4 seasons I don't know how those aren't HOF numbers.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:03 AM, Starless said:

Do you really trust that, though? Barkley and McCaffrey have already had what should be prime years cut short by injury, and Zeke's production dropped precipitously last season. Look at what happened to guys like Gurley and David Johnson. Or hell, LeVeon Bell. RBs just don't last anymore. 

You’re using terrible examples.

LeVeon Bell sat out of the league for a whole year and thought he could continue where he left off.  Taking a year away from the league is like career suicide.  

Todd Gurley won Offensive Player of the Year and genius Sean McVay suddenly chooses not to utilize him anymore.  

David Johnson was more of a one season wonder.  Had one great year and never maintained that level of play.  

Great RBs (potentially Hall of Fame RBs) still exist in the NFL.  

As for the case of Zeke Elliot,  Dallas is going to give him a lot more touches and rely on the running game since they have to figure out how they’re going to move forward with their passing game.  

1 minute ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Todd Gurley won Offensive Player of the Year and genius Sean McVay suddenly chooses not to utilize him anymore.  
David Johnson was more of a one season wonder.  Had one great year and never maintained that level of play.  

uh huh... and what else happened to them? 🤔

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:01 PM, tyler735 said:

Kamara, McCaffrey, and Henry all seem like they could get there depending how these next few years go for them.

For example, Kamara through 4 seasons has over 6,000 scrimmage yards and 59 touchdowns (63 touchdowns including playoffs). If he does similar in the next 4 seasons I don't know how those aren't HOF numbers.

But if Kamara breaks only say 12,000 career YFS, is that a Hall of Famer when guys like Warrick Dunn, Tiki Barber, Frank Gore, LeSean McCoy and Steven Jackson aren't even really going to be considered for the HOF?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

But if Kamara breaks only say 12,000 career YFS, is that a Hall of Famer when guys like Warrick Dunn, Tiki Barber, Frank Gore, LeSean McCoy and Steven Jackson aren't even really going to be considered for the HOF?

I think that yardage combined with around 120 touchdowns would be pretty much a lock for HOF. He'd be right around top 10 all time in offensive touchdowns in just 8 seasons. 

On 2/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, SalvadorsDeli said:

Kamara and CMC are both on HoF paths right now. 

lotta RBs are on HoF paths in their first few seasons

On 2/11/2021 at 1:59 AM, Bolts223 said:

I mean Christian McCaffrey, Zeke and Barkley could all easily have HOF careers when it is all said and done.

They just need more years of being elite RB's.

go ahead and cross Zeke off that list, he's cooked

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Well, duh. Most guys need at least, what, ~10 years of high end play for consideration? Plus the 4 years for eligibility. There are guys in track, that’s about all we can ask for.

It's simply not realistic to expect 10 years of great production from a RB to consider them HoF-worthy. Give me 4-6 great years and somewhere around 2-4 good years. But but there's also a lot of "know it when I see it" to it. I generally (GENERALLY!!) need more than 3-4 really good years, but 10 just isn't realistic for the position

10 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Can't compare across eras. I'm judging a HoF RB's resume based heavily on how he performed compared to his peers, not how his career numbers stack up to players from 20 years ago.

Just now, DannyB said:

Can't compare across eras. I'm judging a HoF RB's resume based heavily on how he performed compared to his peers, not how his career numbers stack up to players from 20 years ago.

I don't think that's fair. Because we're in a golden age of QB's and longevity among them. Who's to say we have another QB throw for over 50k yards again and not a situation like Andrew Luck or Cam Newton's where they just take a pounding and retire within 11-12 years?

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I don't think that's fair. Because we're in a golden age of QB's and longevity among them. Who's to say we have another QB throw for over 50k yards again and not a situation like Andrew Luck or Cam Newton's where they just take a pounding and retire within 11-12 years?

I'm not saying this to be a wiseass, I'm being completely honest, zero sarcasm:

What are you talking about?

8 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Throwing out how eras aren't fair if some dudes are just ridiculous top performers all-time. Using QBs as a metaphor.

I feel like comparing QBs only serves to prove my point. If you take Elway's numbers, or Waterfield, or Blanda, or Stabler or Griese's numbers, and judge them by today's standards, they aren't HoF.

Furthermore, I don't think we're in a golden era of quarterbacks. I think we're in a golden era of quarterbacking. Meaning, these guys aren't necessary any better (with some exceptions obviously, as there always are), but that it's never been easier to play and succeed at the position. It's why neither Stafford nor Ryan are Hall of Fame worthy. In a vacuum they've put up huge numbers, but in context? Good-not-great with little postseason success to lean on.

• Like 1