Robinson and Bears haven't spoken in "some time now"

beardown3231

“I would say it’s an open line of communication,” Robinson said. “We haven’t spoken to them for some time now, but there’s definitely an open line of communication. I’ve always said that I’ll be here if they’ll have me. That’s the main thing. Even dating to the season for myself, it wasn’t too much of frustration. I was just trying to do what was best for myself. At the same time, as far as the contract and things like that, if I wasn’t going to get a contract extension, I understood that. For myself, it was just weighing all my options and weighing as far as what would be best. I’ve got nothing but respect and appreciation for the franchise and for the organization. I think things get twisted with players when they start talking about frustration and things like that, rather than a player just trying to figure out what’s best for themselves and for their career at that specific time. It’s never been too much frustration. It’s a business.”

per PFT

I don't see how you let Robinson go unless you have another good vet signing in mind.

You are shopping your 1 and you best and really only remaining capable receiver weighs like 110 lbs.

Robinson and Mooney, 1-2, sounds good.   

Mooney and Miller, 1-2, not so much.   I don't care if Mahomes plays QB for Bears next year for no trade.  That isn't going to be good enough to win games.

59 minutes ago, G08 said:

You don't let him go. You tag him and piss him off, then when he cools off you make him a fair offer with most of the money coming in 2022 and 2023, etc.

What would the cost of the tag be? I'm sure someone has brought this up before, but I can't recall any figures...

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What would the cost of the tag be? I'm sure someone has brought this up before, but I can't recall any figures...

Will be around $16-17M.

Robinson apparently wants somewhere between $20-25M per year average which I find a bit ridiculous since he's not a top-5 WR in this league but good on him for standing up for what he believes is his value

I just think he's going to be sadly mistaken if he is to hit the open market with those kinds of demands since this year's crop of free agent WRs is pretty deep

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

For him, it would be 120% of his 2020 salary, which was $15M. That'd put his specific tag number at $18M.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Will be around $16-17M.

Robinson apparently wants somewhere between $20-25M per year average which I find a bit ridiculous since he's not a top-5 WR in this league but good on him for standing up for what he believes is his value

I just think he's going to be sadly mistaken if he is to hit the open market with those kinds of demands since this year's crop of free agent WRs is pretty deep

He's the best of that crop, though, unless the Browns release Jarvis Landry to create cap space...then there is at least sort of an argument to be had (but Robinson is truly better than Landry). 

It doesn't matter, though. Robinson still isn't a $20 mil/year receiver.  And with the reduced cap, absolutely no one is going to pay him that kind of money. Hopefully his stance is simply a negotiating ploy, and he comes around. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He's the best of that crop, though, unless the Browns release Jarvis Landry to create cap space...then there is at least sort of an argument to be had (but Robinson is truly better than Landry). 

It doesn't matter, though. Robinson still isn't a $20 mil/year receiver.  And with the reduced cap, absolutely no one is going to pay him that kind of money. Hopefully his stance is simply a negotiating ploy, and he comes around. 

I’ll bet you $100 if we let him walk with no tag he gets $20M+ annually from someone. No BS. Venmo/PayPal you the day the signing is official if I’m wrong.

He’s the best player at a premium position. Lots of teams are in bad cap shape, but several others who need a #1 WR have plenty. The Jets and Patriots both have $60M+ in cap space right now. Jacksonville has $77M and is adding Lawrence at QB. Cincinnati nearly $40M. Miami nearly $30M. All those teams have or will have young QBs on rookie deals who would absolutely have bolstered growth with a true #1 receiver. If ARob got less AAV than Keenan Allen and Amari Cooper as a UFA I’d be shocked (he’s better than both and both are at $20M). 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Also, the 17-game schedule is going to adjust the market for contracts going forward too. 

• Like 1

They should've extended him before the season but since they didn't the price has gone up exponentially. 

14 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Robinson apparently wants somewhere between $20-25M per year average which I find a bit ridiculous since he's not a top-5 WR in this league

He should want that much now and he's deserved it.  He's a humble player who has played at a high level for 6 years despite playing with 3 terrible QBs. 

The Bears fans who wanted him gone are complete idiots.