If Jaguars draft Lawrence, how fast will they win two Super Bowls?

pf9

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Although I'm not disagreeing it's unlikely/not going to happen, what talent exactly did that Colts team have in 2012?

Those early Luck years Colts teams were bad imo.

They did lose a lot the year they drafted Luck... Garcon, Addai, Dallas Clark, Saturday etc... But they had a good draft and had Reggie Wayne (drafted TY) a decent O-line, some decent players on defense with Freeney and a great special teams.

They won 14 games, 10 games, tanked with Painter/Orlovksy intentionally then came back and won 11. Luck played terrible for the first 3 quarters of a lot of those wins and his team kept him within striking distance in the 4th where he suddenly turned into an all pro QB.

So yeah, not as strong as I remembered but not your usual 2-14 team either. Minshew had 2 more passing TDs and 9 fewer interceptions than the Colts had in 2001. So Luck throwing for 23 TD and 18 picks his rookie season was a good bit better than what they had the previous season (14-14). Jags were at 25 and 16 last year so Trevor has some work to do if the Jags are to make up the difference at the QB position predominately.

It's possible. I'd still guess year 3 would be when I'd expect them to potentially take over the division if things go well for Trevor.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

They did lose a lot the year they drafted Luck... Garcon, Addai, Dallas Clark, Saturday etc... But they had a good draft and had Reggie Wayne (drafted TY) a decent O-line, some decent players on defense with Freeney and a great special teams.

They won 14 games, 10 games, tanked with Painter/Orlovksy intentionally then came back and won 11. Luck played terrible for the first 3 quarters of a lot of those wins and his team kept him within striking distance in the 4th where he suddenly turned into an all pro QB.

So yeah, not as strong as I remembered but not your usual 2-14 team either. Minshew had 2 more passing TDs and 9 fewer interceptions than the Colts had in 2001. So Luck throwing for 23 TD and 18 picks his rookie season was a good bit better than what they had the previous season (14-14). Jags were at 25 and 16 last year so Trevor has some work to do if the Jags are to make up the difference at the QB position predominately.

It's possible. I'd still guess year 3 would be when I'd expect them to potentially take over the division if things go well for Trevor.

Fair enough.

Personally, I look at that roster and see TY, Castonzo, Freeman, Vontae, and little else. Also helped the division was trash back then but that roster seemed fairly barren. Definitely doesn't look like even a decent OL on paper when looking at it.

Jaguars are just so young so hard to know how the talent either takes off or never lives up to the potential, but the offense (weapons and OL) definitely looks better on paper to me. 

2023 / 2024 is probably the best window for them to land one championship given Lawrence would have a few seasons to adjust and other teams in the AFC are paying the Lamar Jackson/Patrick Mahomes/Deshaun Watson/Justin Herbert other than rookie deals maybe.

12 of 55 Super Bowls were won by a 1st overall QB still on his original team

• 4 were Bradshaw because they drafted HoF players left and right.
    • They drafted 4 HoF players in 1974 alone (Swann, Stallworth, Webster, Lambert)
  • 3 were Aikman because of the Hershel Walker trade, the Charles Haley trade, and lots of other brilliant moves
  • 2 were Eli because of him forcing a trade and a series of playoff miracles
  • 2 were Elway in years 15 and 16
  • 1 was Peyton Manning in year 9 on coach 2, surrounded by HoF and pro bowl talent brought in by Polian
    • that coach was a once every 20 years type pickup (like Reid in KC and Shula in Miami)
    • Polian also built the 2000s Bills. I don't like the guy but he's got an eye for evaluation
      • 12 teams of 12+ wins in 23 years as a GM
        • 11 in 20 if you don't count the expansion team he got to the NFCCG in year 2

So just assuming Lawrence will win is not really a thing

He's a great start but there is a lot of building to do.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

More importantly, what will Jacksonville's TV schedule look like in 2028? 

If you want to search the OP post history, that if is now probably available .

Enjoy the other reading you come across in your travels!!!!

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

This brings up a very interesting counterpoint to the thread...

Trevor Lawrence is considered "the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck" who was "the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning" who was "the best QB prospect since John Elway".

Using history as our barometer, how long did it take this "line of succession" to win their #2?

- Elway: 15 years (drafted 1983, won first in 1997, 2nd in 1998).

- Manning: 17 years (drafted 1998, won first in 2006, 2nd in 2015).

- Luck: N/A (Never made a SB).

Notes and Observations on a Friday morning:

- Elway was 0-3 in Super Bowls prior to his two wins; Only when Terrell Davis was the bellcow in the Mike Shanahan ZBS offense did Elway achieve his championships.

- Manning won his 1st Super Bowl with a post season run from S Bob Sanders that launched his status into the 2007 DPOY; His 2nd SB was alongside a Wade Phillips/Von Miller defense that is widely considered one of the top 5 defenses in NFL History.

- Luck has no SB appearances to his name, largely because the Colts had no meaningful assets outside of TY Hilton during Luck's tenure.

- Elway played for the Broncos his entire career. Luck played for the Colts his entire career. Manning played his career with the Colts and Broncos.

So, the safe assumptions are as follows:

- Trevor Lawrence will not win a SB because a Jaguar is not a horse of any kind. It is a cat of sorts.

- Trevor Lawrence will need a boost from either a defense or run game (or both). He cannot do it on his own.

- A fair milestone to notate would be the year 2040; that would be 19 years from today, which would align with the trendline of odd numbers in the teens for #2 (Elway '15, Manning '17, etc).

- Please note, this trendline might have already failed because Luck in '19 should have continued continuity, leading to Lawrence in '21. With Luck's abrupt retirement in 2019, the highest odds is that Trevor Lawrence will retire immediately after being drafted.

- With the connection between Urban Meyer and Ohio State University, it's more likely that Justin Fields wull be drafted #1.

- With the connection to Charlie Strong and David Ash, it's even more likely that the Jaguars will draft Sam Ehlinger at #1.

This is my analytic review. Please provide feedback.

Pf9 hacked @ET80 account!!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

When the Angels win the pennant.

Then I welcome you to my suffering.  I've been numbed through attrition at this point.  So, I feel in a fine position to say, "Buckle up, buttercup."

Though, seriously, with regard to the OP, there's a certain scene in Any Given Sunday between Pacino and Cameron Diaz that comes to mind as an appropriate response.