Texans release JJ Watt

.Buzz

17 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Yeah, but that’s only in respect to Super Bowl trophies, not actually him as a person.  

Don’t believe everything you hear.  

As opposed to believing anything you actually type on this site? Keep Rambling , the name is appropriate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Not claiming I know how JJ thinks.  

I’m just saying that if the guy says he respects Tom Brady I wouldn’t take that on face value.  

Sure he respects him as long as he doesn’t have to play on the same team as him.

A lot of players wouldn’t want to.  

a lot of players want to win and receive a lot of money doing that. And there sure as heck are a whole lot more players who want to play with TB12 than not.

16 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

In danger of derailing the thread, but I need to dig down into this...what exactly are you saying? That Brady is a garbage person or a bad team mate? Because in 20 years I don't recall any team mate ever having anything but good things to say about him.

In terms of professionalism, competitiveness and drive to win it's hard to see how Watt and Brady wouldn't get along.

100%

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Oh, I have. I'm out on the Texans as long as Jack Easterby is here.

This decision doesn't have the same weight - I'm still processing my thoughts, so can't say them exactly as I want - but this wouldn't be why I jumped ship.

I actually applaud the McNair's for this direction - in this instance only.

Has anyone in the NFL looked into the Easterby situation? Not suggesting it's all his fault but the team has been imploding since he came on board.

It's hard to imagine J.J. Watt in any other team's uniform. He is the most iconic Houston player since the Texans were founded in 2002. It'll never be the same without him.

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Don't let the Texans say this was about "class". They could have asked JJ where he wanted to go, traded him, had the new team restructure his deal so he got paid, and gotten late picks back in exchange for salary cap space that is highly desirable for other teams but totally useless for a rebuilding team. There was a legitimate "everyone wins" scenario for a rebuilding team.

This was about saving money, and they're lying for the PR.

I fail to see how this saved them money, as opposed to trading him.

He had a base salary of 17.5m. The first portion of that money gets paid out on week 1. Until that date, watt was not going to get paid a cent by them. There is zero financial reason why he was released rather than trying to trade him into april or may.

So yes, this was about trying to win a PR battle. I would bet they called a lot of other teams and everyone told them "we will just wait for you to release him, you arent paying him 17m". So its not as much about class as it is - their only friggin option

Now if we really want to troll the texans, we could guess that Watt met with Cal McNair and asked for his release, Cal said no, we arent going to release you. Then Watt releases that video "they told me they were going to release me" and now the texans either have to release him under the guise of "class" or risk looking like buffoons telling their two best players one thing, then doing something else in the span of like 1 month L O L

32 minutes ago, N4L said:

I fail to see how this saved them money, as opposed to trading him.

He had a base salary of 17.5m. The first portion of that money gets paid out on week 1. Until that date, watt was not going to get paid a cent by them. There is zero financial reason why he was released rather than trying to trade him into april or may.

The Texans could restructure his deal before trading him so that some of the cap hit stays with Houston to increase the return. In a year with a deflating salary cap, teams would pay a premium price in draft picks for that.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I still don't get how this tracks. Why wouldn't we take it on face value? 

Because it’s 100% rudimentary.  

He’s saying that because the guy has 7 Super Bowl rings.

If I was in the league, I would say the same thing about Tom Brady. 

But, Brady also has too much power in the league.

No different than LeBron James in the NBA.  

Very much like the NBA, the NFL has been excruciatingly fixated on one player.  

Brady goes to a new team entirely on his own and calls the shots.  In New England, it was really down to him or Belichick and that’s why he left.  

Chris Godwin says it was an “honor” to give Brady his number.  No, he had to. Probably wanted to keep his own jersey number because that, like any other player, is part of his on-field identity.  The whole story of Brady willing to wear number 7 was fabricated.  Godwin probably would have been cut from the team or forced into a trade if he didn’t give Brady his jersey number.  

In the beginning of the season, Arians has Brady running play action, he whines, and Arians had to let him stay in the pocket like he demanded.  Arians was also right when he said he had “nothing to do” with them getting to the Super Bowl and winning.  

Why? Because, at the end of the day, Tampa is Brady’s team.  Not anybody else’s.  

For Watt I think these are the top contenders.

• Pittsburgh for Triple Watt Brothers Action
  • Tampa to chase the ring.
  • Tennessee to reunite with Vrabel
    • He might love the city but he hates Easterby and the Texans are only Easterby now
    • I can't speak for ET but I won't mind
  • Buffalo might intrigue him as an team on the rise that could use him to restore their D (guessing here)

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Texans could restructure his deal before trading him so that some of the cap hit stays with Houston to increase the return. In a year with a deflating salary cap, teams would pay a premium price in draft picks for that.

Oh, gotcha. 

Yeah, they were never going to do that lol 

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not possible.

JJ would have zero reason to do this only to join a team that now has less assets.