Propose A Trade Thread

the lone star

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Boston is/was just in a weird spot because they signed a max contract guy in Hayward then he got hurt. And traded for Kyrie and he was hurt as well and then both guys bolted out of town.

brown/tatum weren't supposed to be this good this fast and was the reason both guys left. i still think the Cs are in a good spot but their situation is unlike most

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

brown/tatum weren't supposed to be this good this fast and was the reason both guys left. i still think the Cs are in a good spot but their situation is unlike most

Kyrie left because he was an egomaniac that wanted to play with Durant. Hayward left because he secured the bag down in Charlotte. Boston is definitely in a good spot, most teams would kill to have two young, dynamic wings like Tatum and Brown. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Kyrie left because he was an egomaniac that wanted to play with Durant. Hayward left because he secured the bag down in Charlotte. Boston is definitely in a good spot, most teams would kill to have two young, dynamic wings like Tatum and Brown. 

Hayward said the reason he left was more to do with wanting a bigger role in the offense and having the ball in his hands. Kyrie didn't like hearing his play style was holding Tatum and Brown back (which it was)

Obvi the sole reason Kyrie left wasn't because he didn't like sharing an offense with Brown/Tatum but their need for the ball and all of the attention that came with that was the start of his Boston deterioration 

Edited by Troy Brown

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Hayward said the reason he left was more to do with wanting a bigger role in the offense and having the ball in his hands. Kyrie didn't like hearing his play style was holding Tatum and Brown back (which it was)

IIRC Hayward turned down a pretty significant player option and then signed a 4 yr/$120M deal. He's 31 years old now, it was his last chance to secure the bag and he went for it. Michael Jordan has loved Hayward for years, when he was a RFA following his rookie contract they offered him a max contract. 

IIRC Hayward turned down a pretty significant player option and then signed a 4 yr/$120M deal. He's 31 years old now, it was his last chance to secure the bag and he went for it. Michael Jordan has loved Hayward for years, when he was a RFA following his rookie contract they offered him a max contract. 

bro I'm just tellin you his exact words lol 

i'm sure the money helped but he said he wanted to be the 1st option 

Just now, Troy Brown said:

bro I'm just tellin you his exact words lol 

i'm sure the money helped but he said he wanted to be the 1st option 

He can say whatever he wants to say but most people thought he was crazy for opting out of his player option. And then he secured $120M at the twilight of his career from the Hornets. The Celtics and likely no other team in the league was going to give him $30M APY. He left for money purposes. Had he stayed in Boston he would've been the #4 option and hit free agency in 2021 at 31 with no guarantee of a multi-year deal, especially with his injury history. 

He can say whatever he wants to say but most people thought he was crazy for opting out of his player option. And then he secured $120M at the twilight of his career from the Hornets. The Celtics and likely no other team in the league was going to give him $30M APY. He left for money purposes. Had he stayed in Boston he would've been the #4 option and hit free agency in 2021 at 31 with no guarantee of a multi-year deal, especially with his injury history. 

Pacers and Cs were reportedly offering around 100-110 mil so it ain't like he was going to be left out in the rain

As far as we know,  the Hornets offer came in pretty late so I don't think he thought he was going to get that kind of offer

7 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Pacers and Cs were reportedly offering around 100-110 mil so it ain't like he was going to be left out in the rain

As far as we know,  the Hornets offer came in pretty late so I don't think he thought he was going to get that kind of offer

Indiana might have but I doubt Boston would have offered $100M+ for Hayward. He has already had a horrific injury and as a 30+ year old player he had to secure the bag while he could. The Hornets aren't going to be a real contender anytime soon and he left Boston, who would've been a championship contender, to sign there. Because he got the bag down there. He knows he'll never see an NBA championship and sought long term financial security instead. 

Is a 33 year old Hayward going to be worth $31.5M? Probably not. The Hornets were desperate, had a ton of cap room, and Jordan has been known to love Hayward for years. 

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Indiana might have but I doubt Boston would have offered $100M+ for Hayward. He has already had a horrific injury and as a 30+ year old player he had to secure the bag while he could. The Hornets aren't going to be a real contender anytime soon and he left Boston, who would've been a championship contender, to sign there. Because he got the bag down there. He knows he'll never see an NBA championship and sought long term financial security instead. 

Is a 33 year old Hayward going to be worth $31.5M? Probably not. The Hornets were desperate, had a ton of cap room, and Jordan has been known to love Hayward for years. 

idk man i'm speakin the reports, you're speakin to the mind of a man you don't know

i think initially hayward left to have a bigger part on a team. charlotte just offered a bit more money than indiana. he didn't want to share the ball with tatum and brown. 

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/11/23/gordon-hayward-celtics-pacers-contract-offers-hornets-contract-nba-free-agency/

“You want to clown the contract? That’s fine. Just know it’s not like the Pacers and the Celtics were offering $80 million. They weren’t offering $120 million, but my best intel is something like $105 million, $108 million, $102 million, $110 million,” he said on the latest edition of The Lowe Post. “It’s not like the delta was so huge.”

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Literally multiple teams were offering him. We gave him more but lots of teams saw his value.

It took Jordan calling him directly to secure his signing.

16 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

idk man i'm speakin the reports, you're speakin to the mind of a man you don't know

i think initially hayward left to have a bigger part on a team. charlotte just offered a bit more money than indiana. he didn't want to share the ball with tatum and brown. 

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/11/23/gordon-hayward-celtics-pacers-contract-offers-hornets-contract-nba-free-agency/

So he went to Charlotte who was offering between $10-$18M more. And Indiana would've had to acquire him via a sign and trade. 

There is also the unlikely scenario in which Hayward re-signs on a longer-term deal to come back to Boston. But if that avenue had been desirable, it’s likely we’d know by now that the team and player were working towards that goal.

Instead, it appears that Hayward is operating with knowledge that other teams are willing to offer him long-term security. A team like the Atlanta Hawks could have the cap space to sign Hayward outright while teams like the New York Knicks have also been rumored to have interest.

Edited by NYRaider

7 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

Literally multiple teams were offering him. We gave him more but lots of teams saw his value.

It took Jordan calling him directly to secure his signing.

Very few teams had the cap space to offer him $30M+ per year. At the start of free agency the only teams with $30M+ in cap space were the Hawks, Grizzles, Knicks, Pistons, and Hornets. 

And the only three players to sign with new teams on deals worth $20M+ APY were Gallinari (3 yr/$61M from ATL), Jerami Grant (3 yr/$60M from DET), and Hayward. 

Hayward was the only player in free agency that got $30M+ APY.