Propose A Trade Thread

the lone star

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They already have Al Horford and Robert Williams at the 5 though. 

Boston has made the ECF in 2/3 years with a healthy Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Brown has made a significant leap every year he has been in the league and having good wings is what wins in playoff basketball. How often have even the best big men in the league made deep runs in the playoffs in recent history? 

You don't get gun shy on KAT because you have Horford and Robert Williams on the roster lol doesn't make any sense.

Giannis and Anthony Davis won rings in the last two seasons. KAT as a high end #2 option is a way to get the most of out him vs. expecting him to carry a franchise on his own. 

Tatum + KAT is scary IMO. 

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

You don't get gun shy on KAT because you have Horford and Robert Williams on the roster lol doesn't make any sense.

Giannis and Anthony Davis won rings in the last two seasons. KAT as a high end #2 option is a way to get the most of out him vs. expecting him to carry a franchise on his own. 

Tatum + KAT is scary IMO. 

Jaylen Brown averaged 25/6/4 last season on 48/40/76 splits and he's only 25 years old. 

Are you really going to compare Giannis to KAT? He just had one of the greatest performances in NBA playoff/finals history. Not to mention he's one of the elite defenders in the league. The Timberwolves have been bottom feeders despite KAT's great offensive production because he's not a good defender, like, at all. 

Anthony Davis won a title as a #2 option playing with LeBron James and he's arguably the best defensive player in the league. And is one of the top 10 players in the league overall. His defensive impact is what makes him so valuable, KAT doesn't play defense at all. 

ETA: As you said Boston shouldn't try to build around two wing players. So why would it make sense for Minnesota to build around Edwards/Brown? lol

Edited by NYRaider

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jaylen Brown averaged 25/6/4 last season on 48/40/76 splits and he's only 25 years old. 

Are you really going to compare Giannis to KAT? He just had one of the greatest performances in NBA playoff/finals history. Not to mention he's one of the elite defenders in the league. The Timberwolves have been bottom feeders despite KAT's great offensive production because he's not a good defender, like, at all. 

Anthony Davis won a title as a #2 option playing with LeBron James and he's arguably the best defensive player in the league. And is one of the top 10 players in the league overall. His defensive impact is what makes him so valuable, KAT doesn't play defense at all. 

ETA: As you said Boston shouldn't try to build around two wing players. So why would it make sense for Minnesota to build around Edwards/Brown? lol

You're limiting Tatum's full potential if he's alternating series with Brown as we saw last year. "Here your turn" may win regular season games, but come playoffs, you need people to understand roles and responsbilities. Brown defensively is one of the best in the league, but Tatum is the higher ceiling player.You build around Tatum and in order to do so you need to compliment him with a post player who can also stretch the floor. 

I wasnt comparing KAT and Giannis, you asked when was the last time the best big men made deep runs in recent playoff history. So I named the last two.

Brown and Edwards would be slightly diff than Tatum/Brown, but I agree there's some redundancy. 3 guard lineups are a big thing to Billy Donovan and will be used in CHI with Lavine/Ball/Derozan. Why not see how it looks with Edwards/Brown/Russell? Can't say MINN has anything to lose and it would certainly be a better fit in the West facing backcourts of Booker/Paul, Klay/Steph, Conley/Mitchell, Dame/McCollum

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

You're limiting Tatum's full potential if he's alternating series with Brown as we saw last year. "Here your turn" may win regular season games, but come playoffs, you need people to understand roles and responsbilities. Brown defensively is one of the best in the league, but Tatum is the higher ceiling player.You build around Tatum and in order to do so you need to compliment him with a post player who can also stretch the floor. 

I wasnt comparing KAT and Giannis, you asked when was the last time the best big men made deep runs in recent playoff history. So I named the last two.

Brown and Edwards would be slightly diff than Tatum/Brown, but I agree there's some redundancy. 3 guard lineups are a big thing to Billy Donovan and will be used in CHI with Lavine/Ball/Derozan. Why not see how it looks with Edwards/Brown/Russell? Can't say MINN has anything to lose and it would certainly be a better fit in the West facing backcourts of Booker/Paul, Klay/Steph, Conley/Mitchell, Dame/McCollum

The Celtics were in the Eastern Conference Finals during the bubble season with Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. When you look at the starting centers from the last few championship teams they include Brook Lopez, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, and Javale McGee. 

I wouldn't consider Giannis a big man, he's a big wing player, not a traditional 5. He handles the ball and initiate the offense, not to mention he is one of the top 3-5 best defensive players in the league. Anthony Davis is light years better than KAT because he actually plays defense and he had to play with LeBron James to win a title. 

In that hypothetical trade the Timberwolves would have to start Naz Reid or Ed Davis at center. Is a potential lineup of Russell - Edwards - Brown - McDaniels - Reid even going to come close to sniffing the playoffs in the Western Conference? Absolutely not. 

Chicago's 3 guard lineup hasn't even played together yet and they're going to be a fringe playoff team in the East this year with one of the best centers in the league on their roster in Vuc. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Celtics were in the Eastern Conference Finals during the bubble season with Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. When you look at the starting centers from the last few championship teams they include Brook Lopez, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, and Javale McGee. 

I wouldn't consider Giannis a big man, he's a big wing player, not a traditional 5. He handles the ball and initiate the offense, not to mention he is one of the top 3-5 best defensive players in the league. Anthony Davis is light years better than KAT because he actually plays defense and he had to play with LeBron James to win a title. 

In that hypothetical trade the Timberwolves would have to start Naz Reid or Ed Davis at center. Is a potential lineup of Russell - Edwards - Brown - McDaniels - Reid even going to come close to sniffing the playoffs in the Western Conference? Absolutely not. 

Chicago's 3 guard lineup hasn't even played together yet and they're going to be a fringe playoff team in the East this year with one of the best centers in the league on their roster in Vuc. 

The East was a joke in the bubble. MIL got beat in 5 in the Semi's and everyone knew that Miami team was one of the least talented Finals teams in NBA history. Bad example.

I understand on paper the players you named get a "C" next to them, but the Lakers play best with AD at the 5. The fact that you call Brook Lopez a Center and don't consider Giannis a big man after HOW we watched him dominate this Finals is all I need to hear to stop engaging in this part of the conversation.

Sign Aaron Baynes as I said. Russel-Edwards-Brown-McDaniels-Baynes could get to a play-in game which would give MIN fans enough hope to buy into a 3guard line up. 

The Bulls have the biggest range of where they could finish in the East next year. Wouldn't be shocked to see them at 4 or at 9 in the seeding.

19 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The East was a joke in the bubble. MIL got beat in 5 in the Semi's and everyone knew that Miami team was one of the least talented Finals teams in NBA history. Bad example.

I understand on paper the players you named get a "C" next to them, but the Lakers play best with AD at the 5. The fact that you call Brook Lopez a Center and don't consider Giannis a big man after HOW we watched him dominate this Finals is all I need to hear to stop engaging in this part of the conversation.

Sign Aaron Baynes as I said. Russel-Edwards-Brown-McDaniels-Baynes could get to a play-in game which would give MIN fans enough hope to buy into a 3guard line up. 

The Bulls have the biggest range of where they could finish in the East next year. Wouldn't be shocked to see them at 4 or at 9 in the seeding.

The Celtics made the ECF without Kyrie Irving or Gordon Hayward in 2017-2018 and took LeBron James to 7 games with a 19 year old Tatum and 21 year old Brown. 

Brook Lopez started every single game at center and played 29 mpg for the Bucks in the playoffs. The Lakers played AD at the 5 for stretches but Howard or McGee started every game at the 5 and played a combined 28 minutes per game during that playoff run. 

Giannis is a 4, not a center, and he was essentially a point forward for the Bucks this year. He had the ball in his hands and was iniating the offense for them most of the time. He's arguably the best player in the league and one of the elite defensive players in the NBA as well. KAT doesn't have the ability to play a point forward role where he can go coast to coast with the ball, operate in the pick-n-roll, and he's not a good defensive player. 

That lineup is getting nowhere near a play in bid, they just won 23 games last year and you think that swapping KAT for Brown/Baynes is going to make them 10-15 games better this year? How? 

The Bulls team looks solid on paper but we'll have to see how they mesh together. LaVine (31% USG), Vuc (28% USG), DeRozan (25% USG), and Ball (20% USG) all need the ball in their hands to be effective. LaVine, DeRozan, and Vuc have all put up solid numbers over the last couple of seasons but they did so on bad teams. And with that group they're likely going to need DeRozan to essentially play point forward because he's the only one that can't shoot. I also don't feel too confident about a team who's bench consists of Coby White, Alex Caruso, Troy Brown Jr, and Tony Bradley. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

You don't trade a high end wing for a C that doesn't play defense. That is insane.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

You don't trade a high end wing for a C that doesn't play defense. That is insane.

Defense in the NBA is more about "want to" then anything else. No one plays defense until the playoffs. Hence, why we've never seen KAT play defense. 

Towns is not a "Center" in the traditional sense. He shot 38% from 3 last season on 6 attempts per game. He shot 41% on nearly 8 attempts per game the year prior. Calling him a Center to shape your argument is disingenuous.

In 2016, he was ranked as the #1 player GM's would want to start a franchise with. He's dealt with injuries and the death of his mother over the last 2 seasons, but he's an All NBA talent.

https://sportingsota.com/2016/10/18/karl-anthony-towns-picked-franchise/

24 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Defense in the NBA is more about "want to" then anything else. No one plays defense until the playoffs. Hence, why we've never seen KAT play defense. 

Towns is not a "Center" in the traditional sense. He shot 38% from 3 last season on 6 attempts per game. He shot 41% on nearly 8 attempts per game the year prior. Calling him a Center to shape your argument is disingenuous.

In 2016, he was ranked as the #1 player GM's would want to start a franchise with. He's dealt with injuries and the death of his mother over the last 2 seasons, but he's an All NBA talent.

https://sportingsota.com/2016/10/18/karl-anthony-towns-picked-franchise/

Calling him a center is disingenuous?!? Okay, I'm done talking to you now.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Calling him a center is disingenuous?!? Okay, I'm done talking to you now.

You're trying to paint him as Javale McGee and slapping the C label on him because the role of a rim running Center in todays NBA has diminished, but that's not him. 

Brown is coming off the best year in his career and KAT is coming off arguably his worst so it's a bit of a recency bias, but KAT for Brown is a very fair trade. 

I think the discussion of trading Edwards, Beverly some picks and salary filler for Simmons is a much smarter way for MN to go.  Edwards still needs to develop, and he may not ever be more than another Wiggins but the potential at this point should be enough to entice Philly, especially getting Beverly back to run point.  

Minny in that scenario would still allow Russ and KAT to be the 1-2 punch on offense with Ben running point and then Ben can improve the defense immensely and maybe get his buddies to try on that end of the court.  Its a much better roster going forward than Brown, DRuss, and Edwards and I think could compete this year.  

It doesn't help Philly as much but they still add a wing scorer with defensive upside, a PG that teams have to defend more outside than Ben, and allow Embiid a little more space to work. I am not sure Philly would improve from last year but it wouldnt be a far fall from Ben and if he isnt willing to play for them, is a solid return.  

I think the Celtics should give it one or two more years and then split the duo of Brown/Tatum if they do not make progress.  They need to get lucky in the draft and have some depth players develop but I think they could make a move in a year or two like Milwaukee did for Holiday that could boost them.  TBH if the Nets are healthy they will be otugh to beat for the next few years no matter what.  Same with the Bucks now that they have experience.  So any team in the East needs to build for that and I think Brown and Tatum match up better against the Nets or Bucks than Tatum and KAT.  Its the filler around them that needs improving. 

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

You're trying to paint him as Javale McGee and slapping the C label on him because the role of a rim running Center in todays NBA has diminished, but that's not him.

He is literally a C. That's the only position he plays. I wasn't trying to paint him as anything except a C...which is what he is.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

He is literally a C. That's the only position he plays. I wasn't trying to paint him as anything except a C...which is what he is.

Let's play SAT Prep for a second...

A.) Nikola Jokic is a Center.

B.) Rudy Gobert is a Center.

C.) Andre Drummond is a Center.

D.) Jarett Allen is a Center.

Which one is not like the others?

18 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Let's play SAT Prep for a second...

A.) Nikola Jokic is a Center.

B.) Rudy Gobert is a Center.

C.) Andre Drummond is a Center.

D.) Jarett Allen is a Center.

Which one is not like the others?

B. Rudy is the only one over 7 feet tall. 

• Like 1