Propose A Trade Thread

the lone star

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think if he is bought out soon he ends up with the Lakers.  He is a fill in for AD for a few weeks, again gets to be a fourth option on a team and can help off the bench in the playoffs.  He gets to go back to his city he planned to stay in and compete for a title in his old building. 

I really have a hard time seeing him going anywhere other than Brooklyn to be honest. They can pay him more, he'll reunite with DJ, he'll play for a contender, and quite frankly he will have a bigger role in Brooklyn. With the Nets he'll be competing for minutes with Luwawu-Cabarrot and Jeff Green. With the Lakers he'll be competing for minutes with Morris, Davis (assuming he's back soon), Kuzma, Harrell, and Gasol. The Lakers rotation is one of the deepest in the league and already set for the most part. The Nets are one of the thinnest teams in the league and can pay him more. 

What would happen with Griffin's contract, if Detroit just does nothing with him?  He has a player option next year, that he either picks up for a place he is refusing to be, or he declines it, and hits the market/is off of their payroll.  His trade value is negative.  What kind of cost is a buyout going to come to?  It would have to be more than the remaining few months of his contract, due to that option year, right?  Can they just sit on him, fine him for not reporting?  Maybe I am not understanding, but it feels like Detroit has a lot more leverage here than is being talked about anywhere that I've seen. 

47 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

What would happen with Griffin's contract, if Detroit just does nothing with him?  He has a player option next year, that he either picks up for a place he is refusing to be, or he declines it, and hits the market/is off of their payroll.  His trade value is negative.  What kind of cost is a buyout going to come to?  It would have to be more than the remaining few months of his contract, due to that option year, right?  Can they just sit on him, fine him for not reporting?  Maybe I am not understanding, but it feels like Detroit has a lot more leverage here than is being talked about anywhere that I've seen. 

From my understanding this isn't all Griffin. Detroit doesn't want him there anymore either.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

The Pistons have no leverage as far as trading him because of that option but if they decide to sit him and not play him, his choice is either to sit and not play for two years or take a buyout, likely more so based on this year only with maybe a slight bump for the option year.  They have to make him not want to be there more than wanting his money next year.  TBH, we will likely overpay in a buyout instead of just waiting it out or send someone a first round pick to take him off the books which will turn into a great pick for someone because we are a god awful franchise.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, the lone star said:

I'd like that for sure.

I mentioned it a few times during the offseason as well. They should be able to acquire him pretty cheap and it's a good fit for both parties. Oladipo goes to a team where he only has to be the third option/secondary creator and the Mavericks get another playmaker that can take some off the pressure off of Luka. Not to mention Oladipo/Luka/KP is the middle class man's version of the Heatles big 3 of Wade/LeBron/Bosh. Plus Oladipo is a FA after the season so if it doesn't work out the Mavericks can just move on while maintaining their cap flexibility going into this off-season. 

Edited by NYRaider

On 2/18/2021 at 1:31 PM, NYRaider said:

I mentioned it a few times during the offseason as well. They should be able to acquire him pretty cheap and it's a good fit for both parties. Oladipo goes to a team where he only has to be the third option/secondary creator and the Mavericks get another playmaker that can take some off the pressure off of Luka. Not to mention Oladipo/Luka/KP is the middle class man's version of the Heatles big 3 of Wade/LeBron/Bosh. Plus Oladipo is a FA after the season so if it doesn't work out the Mavericks can just move on while maintaining their cap flexibility going into this off-season. 

Agreed. I hope it happens, but I think the Mavs want Lavine.