the lone star

17 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Let's play SAT Prep for a second...

A.) Nikola Jokic is a Center.

B.) Rudy Gobert is a Center.

C.) Andre Drummond is a Center.

D.) Jarett Allen is a Center.

Which one is not like the others?

I know I said I'd stop, but this is a ridiculous stance you're taking. You're claiming that because one player is better than another that they don't play the same position. This is wild.

Michael Jordan and Reggie Miller were both SGs. Just because MJ was better and more versatile doesn't mean he wasn't still a SG.

Jokic and KAT are C's. That is the only position they play. They are obviously better and more well-rounded players than the other 3 you listed, but that doesn't negate the fact that they are Cs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Let's play SAT Prep for a second...

A.) Nikola Jokic is a Center.

B.) Rudy Gobert is a Center.

C.) Andre Drummond is a Center.

D.) Jarett Allen is a Center.

Which one is not like the others?

Two of them are not like the others with those two being Rudy Gobert the 3x DPOY and Nikola Jokic the reigning MVP. Both of those players have taken their team past the first round of the playoffs in the Western Conference multiple times. While Allen and Drummond have put up okay production on terrible teams. 

If you were trying to make a Jokic/KAT comparison, get real. Jokic is a much better offensive player, more efficient scorer, and light years better as a passer. The Nuggets have been one of the best defensive teams in the league over the last 3 seasons while the Timberwolves have been one of the worst. 

Besides that Jokic and Embiid were 1/2 in MVP voting this year and neither got to the conference finals. The starting centers for the teams that made the conference finals were Nicolas Batum, DeAndre Ayton, Brook Lopez, and Clint Capela. 

25 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Jokic and KAT are C's. That is the only position they play. They are obviously better and more well-rounded players than the other 3 you listed, but that doesn't negate the fact that they are Cs.

KAT is better offensively but Rudy is definitely a better and more impactful player overall. KAT literally plays zero defense. 

This argument is like saying the Clippers shouldn't have built around two wing players in Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, should've went after a center instead. When was the last time an NBA team won a title with their center as the secondary offensive option? 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I know I said I'd stop, but this is a ridiculous stance you're taking. You're claiming that because one player is better than another that they don't play the same position. This is wild.

Michael Jordan and Reggie Miller were both SGs. Just because MJ was better and more versatile doesn't mean he wasn't still a SG.

Not my claim. Using someone's position on paper to make a point is disingenuous. Traditional basketball positions have become murkier and murkier over the last 5 years. Lonzo Ball and Steph Curry are both considered PG'sl in no way do they play the same despite both being labeled a Point Guard. It's a meaningless moniker to use when saying "YoU wOuLd TrAdE a WiNg fOr A cEnTer!?"

Recency bias is the main driver the outrage here. Brown coming off his best year, while KAT is coming off his worst. KAT already has an All NBA (3rd team) to his name and Brown has just one All Star nod. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

This argument is like saying the Clippers shouldn't have built around two wing players in Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, should've went after a center instead. When was the last time an NBA team won a title with their center as the secondary offensive option? 

Lakers had Anthony Davis playing 40% of his regular season minutes at Center the year he won the title and he typically closed games at Center(more meangingful). Next season, he's moving to Center because that's how he is most effective in today's NBA. 

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Lakers had Anthony Davis playing 40% of his regular season minutes at Center the year he won the title and he typically closed games at Center(more meangingful). Next season, he's moving to Center because that's how he is most effective in today's NBA. 

Anthony Davis is also a 4x All-NBA defender and probably one of the top 5 best defensive players in the league. He's an elite rim protector and quick enough to switch everything. KAT is one of the worst defensive bigs in the NBA. 

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Recency bias is the main driver the outrage here. Brown coming off his best year, while KAT is coming off his worst. KAT already has an All NBA (3rd team) to his name and Brown has just one All Star nod. 

Jaylen Brown has made a significant leap the last two seasons and has been a key piece in the rotation on 2 teams that made deep playoff runs. The Timberwolves have been one of the worst teams in the league in 5/6 KAT's years with the team with the one outlier being the year they snuck into the playoffs as the 8th seed with Jimmy Butler. 

10 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the Celtics should give it one or two more years and then split the duo of Brown/Tatum if they do not make progress.  They need to get lucky in the draft and have some depth players develop but I think they could make a move in a year or two like Milwaukee did for Holiday that could boost them.  TBH if the Nets are healthy they will be otugh to beat for the next few years no matter what.  Same with the Bucks now that they have experience.  So any team in the East needs to build for that and I think Brown and Tatum match up better against the Nets or Bucks than Tatum and KAT.  Its the filler around them that needs improving. 

I honestly don't think it's even that.  I think it's a PG issue.  They thought they were solving it with Kyrie Irving, and he checked out.  They thought they had it with Kemba Walker, and he couldn't stay healthy.  If they had a legitimate starting PG, I think it'd improve them significantly.  If I were Boston, I'd be trying to acquire Goran Dragic.  Or if Rajon Rondo gets bought out, maybe try and bring him back.  But both are likely temporary fixes.

11 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Towns is not a "Center" in the traditional sense. He shot 38% from 3 last season on 6 attempts per game. He shot 41% on nearly 8 attempts per game the year prior. Calling him a Center to shape your argument is disingenuous.

The traditional C is dead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I honestly don't think it's even that.  I think it's a PG issue.  They thought they were solving it with Kyrie Irving, and he checked out.  They thought they had it with Kemba Walker, and he couldn't stay healthy.  If they had a legitimate starting PG, I think it'd improve them significantly.  If I were Boston, I'd be trying to acquire Goran Dragic.  Or if Rajon Rondo gets bought out, maybe try and bring him back.  But both are likely temporary fixes.

I don't think they need a great PG to be a contender. The Clippers built around Kawhi/PG13 and Pat at PG, while the Heat built around LeBron/Wade with Chalmers at PG. They need Tatum and Brown to both make a leap and stay healthy. I think Schroder and Smart are a decent short term fix for this season, especially if Schroder is willing to come off the bench, 

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don’t think either of those PGs are fixes tbh.  They just flat out need more talent around them.  Guys who don’t need the ball but can score when they get the chance.  If their youth can progress and be decent role players, they can win.  The big issues is big money spent on failed or aging assets.  Right now they have a ton tied up in Horford and they aren’t getting the ROI on him.  But that’s due to Kemba backfiring.  They are trying, just failing in getting the right piece to complement them.  

40 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don’t think either of those PGs are fixes tbh.  They just flat out need more talent around them.  Guys who don’t need the ball but can score when they get the chance.  If their youth can progress and be decent role players, they can win.  The big issues is big money spent on failed or aging assets.  Right now they have a ton tied up in Horford and they aren’t getting the ROI on him.  But that’s due to Kemba backfiring.  They are trying, just failing in getting the right piece to complement them.  

They've had stacked teams around them pretty much every year though. 

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Edwards seems like a stud, if I am Minny I keep him off limits. 

IIRC according to all the advanced defensive metrics he was the worst defensive player in the league last year. And in like 36 games he averaged 25 on 45% FG and the other 36 games averaged like 14 on 25% FG. Minnesota was just sold and their new ownership group has reportedly put pressure on the front office to make a move for Ben Simmons. Ben, KAT, and DLo are best friends so I can't imagine they'd want to include DLo so Edwards would have to be a part of the deal. But Philadelphia reportedly doesn't like Minnesota's offer so they'd need a third team to be involved.