NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

if you think the 2nd harden trade is worse than the first one then IDK what to tell you. 

Context matters.

The first trade was 6th man of the year Harden and he needed an extension from a small market franchise already paying Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

The second trade was perennial MVP contender Harden, with 2 years on his deal, traded by a cheap owner for late picks and pick swaps. The second trade is definitely worse in context.

• Like 2

Just now, beekay414 said:

Context matters.

The first trade was 6th man of the year Harden and he needed an extension from a small market franchise already paying Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

The second trade was perennial MVP contender Harden, with 2 years on his deal, traded by a cheap owner for late picks and pick swaps. The second trade is definitely worse in context.

LOL..ok

Some Raptors thoughts: 

Matt Thomas for a 2nd - Meh. I like him he has been in and out of the rotation and out of it for a while. He’s an excellent shooter if he gets more opportunity in Utah that’s great for him. 

TD for a 2nd - He’s been really really bad this year and has some on court stuff his promising rookie season was likely why we attempted to give it a go but to get a second for him is pretty good. There is a chance he’s dealing with a ton of it and a change of scenery does him well and he did have a very good rookie year as a reserve. 

Norm Powell for Hood and Trent Jr. - I love Norm he has been absolutely going the hell off as of late and it does kinda suck to see him leave but as a 28 year old who will decline his PO getting a guy like Trent for him is pretty nice. 

The non trade of Kyle Lowry - Considering what else we did I felt it may be cool to see a new group of guys and send Lowry some place to win a ring however according to reports some of which is silly like LA desperately wanting to hold onto THT and some rather justifiable MIA not wanting to include Herro despite the fact he’s starting to become somewhat of an overrated piece in his own right and some right down the middle who knows what Morey actually had on the table and off for Lowry. While it would have been cool to get something for him as I imagine he will test FA and barring something significant we will be going in another direction to simply just give him away because teams think we are boxed into a corner and forced to give him away would have also been rather silly. Miami I think is farther away than some think and may be a preferred destination for him if they have the room had the least incentive. He honestly would have been perfect for Philly and I hope they pay dearly for this in the playoffs and as for the Lakers they are good enough to win regardless but if they don’t and THT leaves anyways that would be perfect. I don’t view THT as nothing either but if this was the difference between Lowry or not I find it ridiculous as what the hell else were they even offering? 

8 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Some Raptors thoughts: 

Matt Thomas for a 2nd - Meh. I like him he has been in and out of the rotation and out of it for a while. He’s an excellent shooter if he gets more opportunity in Utah that’s great for him. 

I'm happy that we pretty much got him for free. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm happy that we pretty much got him for free. 

Yea we’ll see. There’s definitely a non zero chance he just rides the bench for you as he’s done for us but it’s also possible he can get more of an established role and not be moved in and out of the rotation constantly and if he can make the most out of it. Definitely worth the risk however I think. 

10 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Yea we’ll see. There’s definitely a non zero chance he just rides the bench for you as he’s done for us but it’s also possible he can get more of an established role and not be moved in and out of the rotation constantly and if he can make the most out of it. Definitely worth the risk however I think. 

Never bad to add more shooting and as it stands we could be the first team in NBA history to average more than 40 3PA and while shooting over 40% on 3s in a season. 

42 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Norm Powell for Hood and Trent Jr. - I love Norm he has been absolutely going the hell off as of late and it does kinda suck to see him leave but as a 28 year old who will decline his PO getting a guy like Trent for him is pretty nice. 

i thought norm powell was 25 tops 

56 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Context matters.

They had also just extended Serge Ibaka as well and were a game away from making the finals two years later without Harden. In Harden's first 3 seasons with the Thunder he averaged 12.7 ppg and was nowhere near superstar status. He hadn't even made an All-Star game and played terribly in the finals the year before they traded him. 

The Thunder made the playoffs in 7/8 seasons since the Harden trade and the only year that they didn't they still had a winning record at 45-37. They were also able to acquire two other top 15 players in Paul George and Chris Paul. And even now after trading Paul George they're in a solid spot with an emerging All-Star in SGA and 17 1st round picks over the next 7 years. 

Houston traded away an MVP candidate in his prime and the best player they received back was Oladipo who they just flipped for Bradley and Olynyk because he didn't want to be there.

Edited by NYRaider

54 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Context matters.

Context does matter and your leaving out that harden killed his value. Everyone knew harden wasn’t going to play or when he did just half effort it. And Tillman fertita isn’t cheap. I know that’s an easy go to for you but it isn’t rooted in reality.

Just now, NYRaider said:

They had also just extended Serge Ibaka as well and were a game away from making the finals two years later without Harden. In Harden's first 3 seasons with the Thunder he averaged 12.7 ppg and was nowhere near superstar status. He hadn't even made an All-Star game and played terribly in the finals the year before they traded him. 

The Thunder made the playoffs in 7/8 seasons since the Harden trade and the only year that they didn't they still had a winning record at 45-37. They were also able to acquire two other top 15 players in Paul George and Chris Paul. And even now after trading Paul George their in a solid spot with an emerging All-Star in SGA and 17 1st round picks over the next 7 years. 

Houston traded away an MVP candidate in his prime and the best player they received back was Oladipo who they just flipped for Bradley and Olynyk because he didn't want to be there.

so in other words the thunder is stupid for not extending harden?  Aka they got fleeced bad in the trade.