NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

10 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Wiseman got so much hype in the beginning of the year and I couldn't figure out why. There was very little chance he helped the Warriors this year, which is why I wanted them to draft him (before Klay got hurt)

Yeah Wiseman is definitely more of a long-term prospect, he had hardly played basketball in over a year when this season started. If Minnesota's pick falls outside of the top 3, the Warriors will have another chance to add a young stud to their core. I think that Jalen Suggs would be an excellent fit with the Warriors. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Skillset was crazy but you never know with these dudes, man. This is why the interview portion of the draft process is so huge.

he had the one tweet or interview or something about being #1 overall pick and people trashed him for it IIRC

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

he had the one tweet or interview or something about being #1 overall pick and people trashed him for it IIRC

I don't recall that, I'm just referencing that article that came out about the draft process awhile ago. It was so spot on.

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

It's clear to me that Drummond would have been a much better player had he gone to a real franchise. It's difficult enough to become as "productive" as he was on a bad team

Piss poor excuse IMO. Some guys want it, others don't. It's very clear Drummond doesn't want it. Don't really mean to bring this back around to Giannis but the Bucks weren't a "real" franchise when we took him and he managed to do a little something.

I dunno. Basketball culture and players are weird. They're not all cut from the same cloth. That's what makes guys like Kobe, KG, Giannis, etc special and Drummond, KAT, etc disappointments. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Piss poor excuse IMO. Some guys want it, others don't. It's very clear Drummond doesn't want it. Don't really mean to bring this back around to Giannis but the Bucks weren't a "real" franchise when we took him and he managed to do a little something.

I dunno. Basketball culture and players are weird. They're not all cut from the same cloth. That's what makes guys like Kobe, KG, Giannis, etc special and Drummond, KAT, etc disappointments. 

I don't think it's an excuse. Drummond is clearly a talented player hampered by poor habits and basketball IQ. The kind of things you pick up by not being coached well. Giannis is also a generational talent and Drummond wasn't as mature/ambitious as Giannis and that much is clear. Not giving Drummond a pass, I don't care enough about him to do that, it's more a shot at the way NBA franchises ruin talented players that need actual coaching/development. NBA players tend to be so young and need nurturing or end up like Sam Darnold and we see it too often to pretend it doesn't happen

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

hes gonna make some fan base very delusional and then very upset within a week

This. I love seeing him advertised as "athletic rim protector" by some people. From what we've seen of Drummond in his career? Stat stuffing defensive liability. He gets boards, I'll give him that. His defensive stats have never translated to good defense, consistently makes his team's D worse. His scoring efficiency is terrible given his position.

Doesn't mean all that can't change in a different role, a different situation, he is a very big body that moves well, but we'll see. 

40 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I don't think it's an excuse. Drummond is clearly a talented player hampered by poor habits and basketball IQ. The kind of things you pick up by not being coached well. Giannis is also a generational talent and Drummond wasn't as mature/ambitious as Giannis and that much is clear. Not giving Drummond a pass, I don't care enough about him to do that, it's more a shot at the way NBA franchises ruin talented players that need actual coaching/development. NBA players tend to be so young and need nurturing or end up like Sam Darnold and we see it too often to pretend it doesn't happen

I mean, don't get me wrong, some franchises certainly ruin players with veteran driven agendas and what not but, at some point, you have to hold the player accountable for not developing too. Drummond just looked like he didn't give two ****s from the moment he came into the game and it only got worse after he got paid. Same as KAT IMO. They'll get theirs but they aren't going to impact the games in a meaningful way on a consistent basis. I don't think these ultra talented dudes should need their hands held just because they were coddled in high school/college. You either want it or you don't.

Prime example? Zion right now. There is zero reason he should be the worst PF in the NBA on defense (he's last in defensive RPM the last I looked and is a negative on BB-Ref). At what point is that on coaching or the player? 

I dunno. Maybe it's because I'm a 5'10" white kid that could only shoot but I simply don't get it.