Jump to content

NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)


Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Let’s go!

I’ll start, Cavs coming back from 3-1 in 2016 is overrated.

The Utah Jazz will make the NBA finals this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Utah Jazz will make the NBA finals this year. 

Maybe if they don’t draw the Lakers in the first 2 rounds and the Clippers beat us. I could more easily see Jazz going 7 games with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Maybe if they don’t draw the Lakers in the first 2 rounds and the Clippers beat us. I could more easily see Jazz going 7 games with them.

The Jazz are legit this year. The only team in the league that's top 3 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, on pace to be the greatest 3 point shooting team in NBA history, and Spida has taken his game up a notch, post ASB he's averaging like 30/5/5 on good efficiency. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Maybe if they don’t draw the Lakers in the first 2 rounds and the Clippers beat us. I could more easily see Jazz going 7 games with them.

I think the best case scenario for the Jazz is the Blazers passing the Lakers for the 5th seed in the West.

So the playoff matchups would be:

1. Jazz vs 8. Grizzles

4. Nuggets vs 5. Blazers

3. Clippers vs 6. Lakers

2. Suns vs 7. Mavericks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Jazz are legit this year. The only team in the league that's top 3 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, on pace to be the greatest 3 point shooting team in NBA history, and Spida has taken his game up a notch, post ASB he's averaging like 30/5/5 on good efficiency. 

Not saying they aren’t legit, cause they are. I just think Gobert would struggle against us is all. Mitchell would have to be amazing, so good that he’s turning the corner. We play better defense than Utah even with them having the DPOTY and being top 3. Also, playoff basketball is different. The refs let contact go more. Teams will match the Jazz intensity on an every night basis unlike the regular season. Ask the Clippers what happens when the jump shots aren’t falling. Isolation players become more important and besides Mitchell and I guess Clarkson. Who am I worried about? Lakers have the defenders to give them problems too and limit their percentages. Obviously they’ll get their share. But, yes this is the best we’ve seen the Jazz in a long time. They have a closer, DPOTY and great shooting around them. I’m not taking them or any of the top West teams lightly I just don’t see Utah winning with both teams healthy. Maybe if you guys draw us early? AD and Bron are gonna need time to get back and idk if they’ll be fully back at least Bron by that first series. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Lakers health is a major cause for concern, tbh. 

That’s the only thing for me. I need AD and Bron to get back soon, so they can start ramping up a bit before the playoffs start. AD is targeting the Jazz or Mavs games I believe. He’s pretty close. Bron they said 3 week time table a few days ago. But, yeah we’ve been getting banged up all year. I can’t rule out that doesn’t happen in the playoffs or Bron’s ankle heals up in time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the best case scenario for the Jazz is the Blazers passing the Lakers for the 5th seed in the West.

So the playoff matchups would be:

1. Jazz vs 8. Grizzles

4. Nuggets vs 5. Blazers

3. Clippers vs 6. Lakers

2. Suns vs 7. Mavericks 

So, you want us second round after the Grizzlies? Cause I’m pretty sure the Suns and us would move on.

But, that works for me. I’d rather face the Clippers round 1 than Jokic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Not saying they aren’t legit, cause they are. I just think Gobert would struggle against us is all. Mitchell would have to be amazing, so good that he’s turning the corner. We play better defense than Utah even with them having the DPOTY and being top 3. Also, playoff basketball is different. The refs let contact go more. Teams will match the Jazz intensity on an every night basis unlike the regular season. Ask the Clippers what happens when the jump shots aren’t falling. Isolation players become more important and besides Mitchell and I guess Clarkson. Who am I worried about? Lakers have the defenders to give them problems too and limit their percentages. Obviously they’ll get their share. But, yes this is the best we’ve seen the Jazz in a long time. They have a closer, DPOTY and great shooting around them. I’m not taking them or any of the top West teams lightly I just don’t see Utah winning with both teams healthy. Maybe if you guys draw us early? AD and Bron are gonna need time to get back and idk if they’ll be fully back at least Bron by that first series. 

Meh. Rudy had 18/9 in our first matchup this season and was +25 in 26 minutes. Last year I could see it because the Lakers had legit size and rim protection at the 5 with Howard/McGee. Drummond isn't very good defensively and having him on the floor with AD means that Rudy will be able to stay closer to the rim defensively. 

Those were two of the Jazz's biggest issues in the post-season the last few years: a lack of other guys that could create their own offense and limited shooting around Mitchell. Those two weaknesses allowed defenses to key in on Mitchell and we didn't have enough scoring from other players or the spacing to make up for it. People tend to forget that Mitchell averaged close to 40 ppg in the playoffs last year and we were one shot away from beating the Nuggets without our second best scorer and as a team that hadn't really found our identity. 

Now we are literally on pace to be the greatest 3 point shooting team in NBA history, Mitchell has shown he can take over games at a superstar level, and we have other guys that can get buckets in Bogdanovic, Clarkson, and Conley. 

I'm excited to see how we matchup in a week or so. The first time you guys came to Utah you got ran out of the gym and LeBron quit during the third quarter to go film space jam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

So, you want us second round after the Grizzlies? Cause I’m pretty sure the Suns and us would move on.

But, that works for me. I’d rather face the Clippers round 1 than Jokic.

In that scenario we'd play the winner of the Nuggets/Blazers series in the second round. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That’s the only thing for me. I need AD and Bron to get back soon, so they can start ramping up a bit before the playoffs start. AD is targeting the Jazz or Mavs games I believe. He’s pretty close. Bron they said 3 week time table a few days ago. But, yeah we’ve been getting banged up all year. I can’t rule out that doesn’t happen in the playoffs or Bron’s ankle heals up in time.

The reality is that AD has been injury prone his entire career and we just saw what happened to KD rushing back into action with a similar injury a couple of years ago. LeBron is 37 years old now and has missed significant time with injuries in 2/3 seasons with the Lakers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people are assuming that Lakers vs Jazz will be the WCF but I think the Suns and Nuggets are definite contenders. CP3 is playing some really good ball, and y'all know what Booker can do. Also teams like the Mavs, Blazers and Clippers aren't completely out of the picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...