NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:
PLAYER TEAM OFFENSIVE ARCHETYPE MINUTES POSITION AGE TIER LEBRON O-LEBRON D-LEBRON WINS ADDED BOXLEBRON BOXOLEBRON BOXDLEBRON LA-RAPM LA-O-RAPM LA-D-RAPM
Rudy Gobert UTA Roll + Cut Big 1,537 C 28 Tier 1 6.09 1.28 4.81 8.40 5.28 1.26 4.01 2.45 1.07 1.38
Nikola Jokic DEN Post Scorer 1,748 C 25 Tier 1 5.99 5.74 0.25 9.40 5.47 5.03 0.44 1.87 2.25 -0.38
Giannis Antetokounmpo MIL Slasher 1,529 PF 26 Tier 1 5.70 3.63 2.07 8.00 5.89 4.23 1.66 1.92 0.93 1.00
Joel Embiid PHI Post Scorer 1,038 C 26 Tier 1 5.66 3.98 1.68 5.40 5.35 3.88 1.47 1.65 0.88 0.77
LeBron James LAL Shot Creator 1,388 PG 36 Tier 2 5.26 3.99 1.27 6.90 4.36 3.26 1.09 2.16 1.04 1.12
Kawhi Leonard LAC Shot Creator 1,452 SF 29 Tier 2 5.12 4.00 1.12 7.10 4.97 4.33 0.63 2.03 1.23 0.80
Jimmy Butler MIA Slasher 1,178 SF 31 Tier 2 4.95 3.32 1.63 5.60 4.33 3.25 1.08 1.68 0.57 1.11
Stephen Curry GSW Primary Ball Handler 1,419 PG 32 Tier 2 4.49 5.12 -0.62 6.40 2.84 3.98 -1.14 1.59 1.16 0.43
James Harden HOU/BRK Shot Creator 1,558 PG-SG 31 Tier 3A 4.12 4.75 -0.64 6.60 4.85 4.64 0.21 0.73 1.51 -0.78
Anthony Davis LAL Post Scorer 755 PF 27 Tier 3A 4.06 2.42 1.64 3.20 3.55 1.83 1.72 1.31 0.82 0.49

I've been saying it, #RUDY4MVP

• Like 1

I'm really curious what a title this year would do for the GOAT debate IF the Lakers complete the repeat.

I know a lot didn't take last year's title seriously since it was in the bubble despite the fact it meant we didn't have home court like we should've if not for COVID and we still won and did it pretty handily, but the opponents we faced weren't the best obviously. Denver gave us some trouble and Jimmy went crazy in a few, but yeah I can see why its downplayed some on that front.

But, this year even with Denver taking the rough hit they did. I still think the Jazz, Suns or Clippers can push us and/or beat us if we aren't healthy or on our game. I never know if we are gonna hit 5 or 19 threes on a given night. We also won't have home court against any of those teams.... lol well besides the Clippers for obvious reasons. The current situation now is our role players are starting to figure out how to play without a savant like Bron or freak of nature like Davis to go to for a score which is good, but AD hasn't played in a long *** time and will take a while to get back to where he was in last years playoffs if he can even reach that level this time around. Bron's ramp up got messed up. I wonder if he'll be able to return before the month is over, but we'll see. Either way both of them trying to come back late isn't ideal.

If Bron repeats while going through teams like two of Jazz, Clippers and Suns then the Nets, Bucks, or Sixers. I feel like people will downplay it if its against anyone besides Brooklyn, despite Bucks and Sixers having MVP caliber players, but whatever lol. That would be a much tougher path than last year and that fact combined with the lack of home court and injury situation right now. A lot of people aren't gonna budge on which they think is the GOAT, but could be the push for those undecided. Not sure if we'll win it, but we have a good chance if we get healthy. We still haven't seen the final form of this Lakers team. I feel like there has been flashes, but it hasn't got there. Kinda hard when we were spending most of the regular season before Bron got hurt trying to fit the new guys in their best roles and go through a bunch of guys slumping. Maybe we'll see them reach their peak in the playoffs or at least that's what I'm hoping. The way the role players have started playing without Bron and AD has been encouraging after they looked completely lost without Bron at first lol.

Anyways, I don't know what the point of this was. I'm just excited for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

harden has the record for most missed 3s in a game, which he has done 6 times lol

Give Mighty Mouse some credit he is tied for the record. Curry actually came up 1 short this season, but most of the others past the 6 that are tied for 1st are him too... lol.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/who-has-the-most-missed-threes-in-a-game#:~:text=James Harden and Damon Stoudamire,a game with 16 misses.

37 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm really curious what a title this year would do for the GOAT debate IF the Lakers complete the repeat.

I'd personally rank LeBron as the GOAT even with his current resume. It's hard to compare players across generations but throughout his career he has shown that wherever he goes immediately becomes a title contender. People hold the finals losses against him but he played in a different era than Jordan and had to compete against two dynasty's in the Warriors and Spurs. The fact that he has been able to lead 3 different organizations to championships is incredible especially considering that the Lakers and Cavaliers were pretty mediocre in the years before his arrival. 

But I think in general it will be hard for him to ever really surpass Jordan as consensus GOAT. People will always reference back to Jordan going 6/6 in the Finals and being able to do it with one team. But what I always find funny is that people hold LeBron being 3-6 in the Finals against his legacy but ignore the fact that Jordan didn't even make the finals in 7/13 years with the Bulls. 

LeBron's longevity has been incredible to watch, 25+ ppg in 17 straight seasons, leading his team to the playoffs in 15/18 seasons, and to the NBA Finals in 9/17 seasons (with another appearance possible this year) is enough to qualify him for GOAT status to me. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd personally rank LeBron as the GOAT even with his current resume. It's hard to compare players across generations but throughout his career he has shown that wherever he goes immediately becomes a title contender. People hold the finals losses against him but he played in a different era than Jordan and had to compete against two dynasty's in the Warriors and Spurs. The fact that he has been able to lead 3 different organizations to championships is incredible especially considering that the Lakers and Cavaliers were pretty mediocre in the years before his arrival. 

But I think in general it will be hard for him to ever really surpass Jordan as consensus GOAT. People will always reference back to Jordan going 6/6 in the Finals and being able to do it with one team. But what I always find funny is that people hold LeBron being 3-6 in the Finals against his legacy but ignore the fact that Jordan didn't even make the finals in 7/13 years with the Bulls. 

LeBron's longevity has been incredible to watch, 25+ ppg in 17 straight seasons, leading his team to the playoffs in 15/18 seasons, and to the NBA Finals in 9/17 seasons (with another appearance possible this year) is enough to qualify him for GOAT status to me. 

Well, we never saw Jordan leave a team and go elsewhere.

I don't think you can surpass Jordan. I think LeBron's a better player from what I know but LeBron will never be the cultural icon that Jordan is and was 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah. If LeBron would've fell off these past years I could see writing him off for the discussion, but his longevity and how impactful he is to his teams whenever he's on the court is his legacy to me. He's been under the biggest microscope since HS that any basketball player has ever been under. Social media has made it much worse for criticism in today's era. But, yeah the whole 6/6 argument is tired and just a way to ignore a more nuanced argument that is there to be had. I think Jordan probably had a higher peak in the early to mid 90s than Bron's Heat+Cleveland "prime". 

3 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I don't think you can surpass Jordan. I think LeBron's a better player from what I know but LeBron will never be the cultural icon that Jordan is and was 

CqqeIN3UEAIy_ev.jpg

I C O N

how does this dude have such cool sneakers? lol

But, no I think the cultural impact and what he did for the NBA and basketball in general back then. That was probably the peak of NBA popularity.

kTzmb.jpg

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah. If LeBron would've fell off these past years I could see writing him off for the discussion, but his longevity and how impactful he is to his teams whenever he's on the court is his legacy to me. He's been under the biggest microscope since HS that any basketball player has ever been under. Social media has made it much worse for criticism in today's era. But, yeah the whole 6/6 argument is tired and just a way to ignore a more nuanced argument that is there to be had. I think Jordan probably had a higher peak in the early to mid 90s than Bron's Heat+Cleveland "prime". 

I think comparing LeBron to Jordan is like comparing apples to oranges though. Jordan was definitely a better scorer but LeBron is definitely a more well rounded player. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

collins-678x381.jpg

Jordan also played in a different era and also took 3 years off during the peak of his career. But I agree, I think LeBron is a better player but from a legacy standpoint Jordan will likely always be viewed as the GOAT. Not only because of his stats and championships but also because of the way he transcended the sport and was an icon off the court with his shoes, etc.