NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean we been knowing this. I think every intelligent Lakers fan/analyst would tell you he would be best as the primary ball handler on the 2nd unit. He can fit in with the starters but it isn’t clean and he wants to be the primary ball handler but you are on a team with LeBron James and also have AD who needs the ball a good amount too with his stuff in the post. His ego won’t let him be benched though. It was clear before the season started and nothing has changed. He thinks he’s worth 100 mill. He turned down a huge extension from us. Most we could offer in season was 4/84 and he we did. His camp thinks he’s worth 20 or more per year. I’ll cut him some slack for today and this past week since he came back from health and safety protocol and is clearly lacking in his conditioning. He claims he didn’t get COVID, but I don’t believe that.

What I won’t cut him slack for was getting sent to health and safety protocol for the second time this season most likely due to being careless. He’s still the only one on the Lakers I believe who hasn’t got the vaccine. That’s childish and irresponsible.

He definitely was playing in last nights game like he was gunning for his new contract rather than playing for the team and the ultimate goal. I get it. The pressure is on after you turn down a big extension, but playing the right way will gain you more mins and chances to do things to raise your price in FA.

I do think Lakers fans in general were too hard on Schroder last night. Yes he was playing for that contract and was terrible as reflected by his -20 which was by far the worst of anybody on either team. But, he’s been one of the few who has gave a **** all regular season. Picking guys up full court every game. He’s earned some slack from me for his regular season play when he wasn’t being dumb and getting sent to safety protocol.

But, at the end of the day Caruso should be in that starting and closing line-up over him if there was no politics involved. Alex has tremendous rapport with LeBron. Both are super smart players, so that’s really no surprise. Caruso is the ultimate glue guy. He’s gonna be where he needs to be and doing what he need to be 90% of the time at least. That’s super valuable, especially when playing along side superstars like Bron/AD. He’s not gonna get in their way. He’s there to do everything in his power to compliment them best he can. I can’t have any more respect for him than I already do.

But, Schroder and Gasol have had pretty good rapport when they are on the court together. They could do great things together off the bench. 

That’s the issue here, ego. He can go next year and I promise we wouldnt lose much sleep. As good of a playmaker he is, he will never be that guy on a team. Maybe we can work a S&T with the Knicks or someone who wants him. Either way free the money up and get a better compliment that does not mind second unit play.

LAL need to focus primarily on outside shooting. I have no idea what the options are for the off season but the lack of 3 making will potentially haunt them against elite comp / clippers & nets.

11 minutes ago, indifference said:

That’s the issue here, ego. He can go next year and I promise we wouldnt lose much sleep. As good of a playmaker he is, he will never be that guy on a team. Maybe we can work a S&T with the Knicks or someone who wants him. Either way free the money up and get a better compliment that does not mind second unit play.

LAL need to focus primarily on outside shooting. I have no idea what the options are for the off season but the lack of 3 making will potentially haunt them against elite comp / clippers & nets.

We can't just let him walk. That would be worst case scenario. Doesn't free up anything cause we are over the cap. 

But, yes a sign and trade could definitely be in play. 

Would it be possible to package him for Brogdon? I don't know.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He definitely was playing in last nights game like he was gunning for his new contract rather than playing for the team and the ultimate goal. I get it. The pressure is on after you turn down a big extension, but playing the right way will gain you more mins and chances to do things to raise your price in FA.

He passed the ball like **** last night. I stopped counting how many pick n' roll passes he forced / turned over. He's  confident enough with the ball and can drive/distribute it well enough I just wish he was more of a drop dead shooter. He gets a ton of mid-range jump shot opportunities that he either passes up or (seemingly....) shoots reluctantly with less than stellar results.  The LAL need a "nothing but net" shooter. It's something this roster's been missing since Kobe. 

5 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

i think the top 3 most watched gms this year were play-in gms

or maybe the lakers christmas gm 

That's nice. The play-in games still sucked for the most part besides Lakers-Warriors and the NBA lucked into that. If Kerr wasn't being dumb for a good portion of the year they probably don't land in the play-in. Lakers without all the injuries/covid absences and new pieces to incorporate definitely don't land in the play-in. 

The league got lucky with the 7 & 8 in the west. They got kinda unlucky (Brown's wrist and Beal's hamstring) with the 7 & 8 in the east though.

Point is they are likely never to see a play-in game with two teams that good with superstars that big even if they do it for the next decade or two.

To me I'm okay with the play-in staying, but remove the 7 & 10 teams from it. Just make it the 8 & 9 seeds if you wanna do that and even then I still don't understand it besides for $$$.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

He passed the ball like **** last night. I stopped counting how many pick n' roll passes he forced / turned over. He's  confident enough with the ball and can drive/distribute it well enough I just wish he was more of a drop dead shooter. He gets a ton of mid-range jump shot opportunities that he either passes up or (seemingly....) shoots reluctantly with less than stellar results.  The LAL need a "nothing but net" shooter. It's something this roster's been missing since Kobe. 

He's actually a good mid range shooter. Not sure what you watched this year.

From mid range:

Schroder 48.7%

Lillard 42.6%

Curry 47.9%

Young 45.2%

DeRozan 47.1%

Beal 47.4%

Mitchell 43.4%

Leonard 44.7%

Lavine 45.6%

George 48.6%

Now, I do agree with you he could take that mid range a little more? Yeah, especially considering his 3PT fell off by 5% from last year with the Thunder.

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He's actually a good mid range shooter. Not sure what you watched this year.

From mid range:

Schroder 48.7%

Lillard 42.6%

Curry 47.9%

Young 45.2%

DeRozan 47.1%

Beal 47.4%

Mitchell 43.4%

Leonard 44.7%

Lavine 45.6%

George 48.6%

Now, I do agree with you he could take that mid range a little more? Yeah, especially considering his 3PT fell off by 5% from last year with the Thunder.

If he's hitting almost 49% then he definitely should be shooting it more often and scoring more. The offensive unit can run dry of points when he's running it - thats what I've been watching.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

If he's hitting almost 49% then he definitely should be shooting it more often and scoring more. The offensive unit can run dry of points when he's running it - thats what I've been watching.

Oh no doubt.

Sometimes it definitely seems like he's just running around in circles like  a chicken with its head cut off lol.

I do think his ability to drive to the hoop is pretty big for us or will be with Bron's ankle right now. If this was last year Bron could just steam roll whenever he wanted to with proper lift at the rim. That isn't the case right now and may not be the case all playoffs to be fair.

We are definitely gonna need Dennis to take a bit more of those mid range and if he does it will just make it easier for him to blow by defenders trying to stop him from doing so. 

If we are gonna win a title this year he has to make an impact.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy