NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Rudy's screen setting has a huge impact for us offensively though. John Hollinger had Rudy #2 on his MVP list this year. Conley/Mitchell missed a combined 40 games and we were still able to lock down the best record in the league. 

John Hollinger is a quack.

I have a ton of respect for Rudy. The jokes are funny to get off, but he’s definitely a very impactful player even if he’s doing it in a way that most don’t. 

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

John Hollinger is a quack.

I have a ton of respect for Rudy. The jokes are funny to get off, but he’s definitely a very impactful player even if he’s doing it in a way that most don’t. 

If you account for Rudy's screen assists he helped contribute nearly 30 points per game for us offensively. He was also 2nd in rebounding, 1st in blocks, 3rd in real +/-, 1st in defensive +/- (by a huge margin), and 2nd in wins +/- (behind Curry). While also having arguably the greatest defensive season in NBA history as he set the record for 5 separate defensive metrics. We were without Conley and/or Mitchell for over half of the season and still finished with the best record in the league. 

CBS Sports All-NBA teams. 

1st Team

G - Curry

G - Doncic

F - Giannis

C - Embiid 

C - Jokic

2nd Team

G - Lillard

G - Paul

F - Leonard

F - Butler

C - Gobert

Third Team

G - Irving

G - Beal 

F - LeBron

F - Randle

C - Adebayo 

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you account for Rudy's screen assists

I don't

. He was also 2nd in rebounding, 1st in blocks, 3rd in real +/-, 1st in defensive +/- (by a huge margin), and 2nd in wins +/- (behind Curry).

You don't have to convince me of his greatness. I know it.

While also having arguably the greatest defensive season in NBA history as he set the record for 5 separate defensive metrics.

I saw that tweet and while it is definitely a historic season those defensive stats skew big time towards bigs than they do POA defenders. I can appreciate Rudy and his greatness defensively, but I'll also admit he doesn't have it as hard as someone trying to defend the best scoring guards/wings in the league. His impact has been insane for you guys this year that's all I'll say. He's definitely in the top 10 for MVP and top 5 I really don't have any beef with Jazz fans wanting to stick him in there, but top 3? I can't do it. As amazing as his defensive impact is I just can't do it. He's definitely one of if not the most underrated players in the league at least by casuals. I see Rudy get a lot of love from the analytics crowd and knowledgeable basketball fans.

28 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You're the 1 seed. The pressure is on y'all and your historic big man and pretty loaded roster which should now be healthy to perform when it matters most. Job isn't finished.

I wouldn't say the pressure is really on us though, no one takes us seriously. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't say the pressure is really on us though, no one takes us seriously. 

Well if you don’t, they’ll never take you seriously. That’s where the pressure lies. You’ll be just another Hawks, Raptors (before Kawhi), Bucks etc.

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We were hurt all year and were smacking teams with Joe Ingles starting at PG. Houston won 17 games, please take Rockets talk to the draft thread. We aren't discussing teams that won less than 20 games in this thread. 

I’m not discussing the rockets. I’m discussing the jazz. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Ainge has done well drafting with early picks but he hasn't been great with selecting guys outside of the top 6. 

I would say he has just as much success as most GM's without the home run swing on a tough pitch. Terry Rozier is the most recent hit. Dude is a very solid starter. I still have high hopes for Rob Williams if the dude could just stay healthy. I also really like Nesmith and Pritchard. Grant Williams is a very good bench player; versatile, tough, defends well, and has 3 point capability. I think he has done well out of the top 6, he just doesn't have that big hit there. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Celtics were also able to acquire 4 max contract players in Hayward, Irving, Walker, and Horford and still haven't been able to get over the hump yet.

Here is the problem with this. Hayward's injury took 2 years from that deal and by the time he was a max player again, he was redundant. Irving was a great gamble that ended terribly because Irving couldn't be THE guy. It's why he went to Brooklyn and formed a super team after all the talk of Bron's shadow he retreated to that of KD's. Ainge took a calculated risk I think anyone would have taken and it failed. If that trade happened today, it MIGHT work out better with Tatum and Brown where they are. Irving also doesn't really fit with Brad. Horford and Kemba were overpays. Horford is the last piece you need and we got that piece first, before Tatum/Brown were ready to be the focal points. Then he aged out of being a max player. Kemba is almost the same. Last year, if not for covid-19 and injuries, was the prime year with Kemba on the squad. Now injuries and age are catching up to him making him extremely inconsistent. The timing on Kemba and Horford was just wrong. 

Ainge needs to find a third superstar if he is going to compete with Brooklyn and the other loaded teams. Only one of those max guys above are superstars, they are star players no doubt, but not that next tier. That's not to say he hasn't tried, he was in on Butler, he had Tom Brady at the visit with KD prior to him joining GS, he went out and got Kyrie, etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Well if you don’t, they’ll never take you seriously. That’s where the pressure lies. You’ll be just another Hawks, Raptors (before Kawhi), Bucks etc.

At least we'll never be another Nets, trying to buy a championship by signing some stars and a bunch of washed old dudes and then falling short. This is the second time you guys have tried this in Brooklyn, right?