NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What other players are publicly calling out their coaches on Instagram for a lack of PT? And hears more cap than most? Who cares about Harrell, he's not some amazing, superstar player, lol. 

Did the Clippers coaching staff screw him over too? Or is the reality of the situation that he's not that effective in playoff basketball? 

He's going to opt out but if you were a team that was considering signing him this would definitely have to be apart of your decision making process. Because he's a guy that can put up numbers in the regular season, get played off the court in the playoffs, then will cry about it on social media. A huge distraction for a player that isn't going to help you win when it matters. 

Lol, you just had Drummond saying damn near the same thing a few days ago...You just had Oubre blaming Kerr for his subpar season. The hell do you mean? This happens all the time.

Harrell plays for the Lakers after playing for the Clippers last season. I'm sure he gets dragged on social media daily.

Cool, a team can do whatever they want. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lol, you just had Drummond saying damn near the same thing a few days ago...You just had Oubre blaming Kerr for his subpar season. The hell do you mean? This happens all the time.

Harrell plays for the Lakers after playing for the Clippers last season. I'm sure he gets dragged on social media daily.

Cool, a team can do whatever they want. 

So you've had 3 role players that think they're better than they are do it. So let them go to teams who will give them PT because as we've seen with Drummond/Oubre if they're a starter on your team, you ain't making the damn playoffs, lol. 

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, beekay414 said:

It's not a shocker that NBA players have zero self awareness. They've had their **** slobbered all over since they were teenagers. 

Agreed. That's why I always say I think the most underrated aspect of being a good NBA coach is ego management. Because you have to be able to get guys to buy into lesser roles and trust your system when they've been by far the best player on every team they've ever played on since they were kids. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:
1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

It's not a shocker that NBA players have zero self awareness. They've had their **** slobbered all over since they were teenagers. 

Agreed. That's why I always say I think the most underrated aspect of being a good NBA coach is ego management. Because you have to be able to get guys to buy into lesser roles and trust your system when they've been by far the best player on every team they've ever played on since they were kids. 

It's what made The Zen Master one of the best coaches ever. 

Yes, he had two of the greatest duos ever, but he did a great job managing those huge egos.

Did a quick google of Phil Jackson and ego and came to a Reddit thread with this comment:

pSe39IE.png

I know I've posted this video a couple times in the other thread, but I'm gonna do it one more time cause its filled with gems and goes over just what you and @beekay414 are talking about here.

That Shaq quote was always one of my favorite parts.

"First time in my career a coach came in and said... look this is what you're gonna do. This is what you're going to master. If you aren't gonna do that, then you aren't gonna be here."

Real as ****.

I didn't realize or forgot (been a while since I read his book) that he majored in psychology, but it makes perfect sense. Dude loved playing mind games lol. It probably made him an ******* and might've ended up making Kobe/Shaq's relationship worse, but it yielded results. At the end of the day I don't blame him, Shaq, or Kobe solely for the break-up. They all played their role in it.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why do fans get mad when players say stuff like this? Are you going to convince Harrell he can't play in certain situations or against certain teams? Hell no, and nor should he think he is unplayable against certain teams. He's going to feel like he could have helped the team as will damn near every player in that situation. 

I get what you're saying. I'm more annoyed at Drummond than Harrell though.

I get Harrell's frustration. When he was put out there against Jokic too much by Doc he was set-up to fail. Vogel being a defensive minded coach held him out probably more than he needed to, because he didn't want his defense to hurt the team. But, his offense was needed at times against Phoenix, especially with Bron hobbled and AD going down in game 4. He only played 5 minutes of that game 4 in a stint at the beginning of the 4th quarter where we were down 16 already. Got only 12 and 8 minutes in the last 2 respectively.

Trez for the most part was a good soldier this year despite getting the short end of the stick after a great campaign the previous year off the bench. He missed a lot of time with Bron due to injury to get some chemistry and with Schroder in the starting line-up he didn't get as many reps to build chemistry there either like he did with Lou Will. 

Drummond on the other hand was defended by Vogel every chance Frank got only for him to throw his coach under the bus on social media. That's lame as hell. I don't care what you say.

Lakers brought him in late in the year with the promise of being a starter which was delivered upon up until the elimination game against Phoenix where he decided doing what he felt was best for the team with the season on the line was more important than keeping Drummond happy. Can't blame him for that.

Drummond wasn't like Trez though. He wasn't forced to a bench role and had to see his playing time take a hit. He came in late in the season and was handed the starting job on a silver platter. He got over 2X the amount of playing time per game that Suns series as opposed to Harrell and only 2nd in big man minutes to AD. Gasol unfairly had to suffer on his behalf. If anyone should be most upset its probably him.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It's funny that guys who have been career losers go to championship level teams, don't have a huge role, the team gets worse, and they cry about it. @J-ALL-DAY

Lakers have no one to blame, but themselves for Drummond at the end of the day. 

They knew the risk they were taking on with him like I'm sure its no secret around the league what his personality/attitude is like. Plus, they botched the Howard signing at the start of FA which kind of necessitated the move down the line for us.

They gave him the entitlement. It's not really surprising, but still lame to see how he is talking after the season.

We let Schroder come in puffing out his chest about being a starter. Gave him the job cause they wanted to keep him happy to possibly re-sign him. Same as Drummond. 

For the most part this year I loved how Dennis was buying in to defense. He was working his butt off picking guys up full court all the time and being a pest. It's his choice, but I still do blame him for being the only one on the team not to get the vaccine and getting sent to COVID protocol for the 2nd time that season making our road to locking up a playoff spot that much harder and probably bringing conditioning issues into that Suns series, especially early on as a result.

Like I said I don't blame Trez as much and definitely don't blame Gasol one bit.

If anyone should have gripes its those two.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Nigeria giving Argentina that momma's cooking!! 

Hilarious to see the reactions to that game from Saturday. Nigeria is legit, they have plenty of talent on that team. USA should be able to beat them, but there is no need to be shocked when other countries beat or compete with USA. The game globally is awesome right now and on any given day, team USA can lose, especially when they are playing their first game together. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hilarious to see the reactions to that game from Saturday. Nigeria is legit, they have plenty of talent on that team. USA should be able to beat them, but there is no need to be shocked when other countries beat or compete with USA. The game globally is awesome right now and on any given day, team USA can lose, especially when they are playing their first game together. 

Except the US has a massive talent advantage overall.

It's one thing if these guys were all major NBA starters playing together for years at a time. It's another when it's a bunch of relative role players. 

2 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

It's one thing if these guys were all major NBA starters playing together for years at a time. It's another when it's a bunch of relative role players. 

Talent level on a team where roles are not defined yet and a team that severely lacks perimeter defense. Your main perimeter guards are Dame, Lavine and Beal. When you have no chemistry, especially on the defensive end, they will get taken to the woodshed. Nigeria has NBA caliber players and have a set system and everyone knows their role. It's not crazy for a team like that to win, especially when they hit 20 3s. If team USA had been practicing and playing together for months? Then sure, but that was not the case on Saturday. 

A better team in 2006 lost, and basketball has grown in the last 15 years globally. USA technically had the most talent in the last world championships and we saw what happened. Only team it is unlikely to happen to this team once the real games start is because they have KD. 

58 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Next Jordan

miye-oni-of-the-nigeria-mens-national-te

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Talent level on a team where roles are not defined yet and a team that severely lacks perimeter defense. Your main perimeter guards are Dame, Lavine and Beal. When you have no chemistry, especially on the defensive end, they will get taken to the woodshed. Nigeria has NBA caliber players and have a set system and everyone knows their role. It's not crazy for a team like that to win, especially when they hit 20 3s. If team USA had been practicing and playing together for months? Then sure, but that was not the case on Saturday. 

A better team in 2006 lost, and basketball has grown in the last 15 years globally. USA technically had the most talent in the last world championships and we saw what happened. Only team it is unlikely to happen to this team once the real games start is because they have KD. 

58 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

You also have to account for the fact that USA basketball is also being coached by Greg Pop instead of the GOAT, Coach K.