NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

16 hours ago, Kirill said:

Just feel he deserves more hate as THE reason Curry and GSW will never win another chip. Having him on the max ruins that cap sheet.

Meh. The Warriors did the best they could when KD decided he was leaving, instead of losing him for nothing they were able to land Russell back in a S&T, then parlayed Russell into Wiggins and the #7 pick. They were going to have limited cap flexibility regardless because of how much they're paying Curry, Klay, and Draymond. 

I think what will be the main factor in if they're able to compete for a title or not in Curry's final years depends on what they do with Wiggins, Wiseman, and their two early picks. If they're able to trade them for another key piece then they should be right back in championship contention. If they just stand pat, unless we see significant development from Wiggins/Wiseman and they hit on both picks, their championship window is probably closed.  

17 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What would a title, this year, do for Giannis' legacy? He's already a 2x MVP and a MVP-DPOY in the same season. Where would a title put him in the all-time standings, potentially?

Absolutely huge, Giannis doesn't get nearly the amount of hype or love that he deserves. If he wins a title this year he'll be more accomplished than LeBron was at the same stage of his career. And in terms of legacy I think it means even more because he will have won a title with the small market team that drafted him as opposed to bouncing to form a super team elsewhere to ring chase. 

He'd be join Duncan as the only player to win a title with the small market team he started his career with. And join Jordan, Wade, Kobe, Curry, and Hakeem as the only players to win a title with the team that drafted him as their best player. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just because you have to match salaries doesn't negate the fact that you're having to take on Wiggins' deal.  So if you're asking me (as the Blazers' GM to take on Wiggins), I want extra value.  Dame is under contract for 4 more years.  Even if Dame goes full Harden on them, the Blazers have leverage.

Wiggins is also only under contract for the next 2 seasons. So if you're a rebuilding, small market team that trades for him you're likely going to have to massively overpay him again or lose him in free agency. 

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Then why were you "upset" when I suggested that you needed to attach extra assets to get rid of Wiggins.  If you truly believe Wiggins is negative value, which one of those assets are you using to get rid of Wiggins?

Agreed. Wiggins primary value in a trade is that his big salary can be used for salary matching purposes. If the Warriors are going to net a good player in a deal that involves Wiggins they're going to have to send Wiseman and their two picks with him. 

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Warriors with Wiseman (18-21): 108.5 ORtg, 112.9 DRtg, 

The Warriors without Wiseman (21-12): 115.4 ORtg, 107.8 DRtg 

They were 7 points better offensively and 5 points better defensively when Wiseman wasn't in the rotation. 

I already explained that. He doesn't know how to play defense yet and those without games included Poole emerging with Oubre getting hurt. 

That's not how you should judge rookies. Having plus player rookies is very difficult, especially bigs. That's why fans want the lotto picks traded since it takes them some time to be effective and there's not any time to waste with the current core. 

I rally don't think Wiseman has a lot of trade value...He barely played in college, and looked completely mediocre in the NBA. It was a small sample size for sure, but I don't think teams will be scrambling to acquire him. 

Edited by MookieMonstah

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, Capela certainly contributed to Atlanta's success, far more than Covington did for Portland. And funny you completly ignored why the trade got made in the first place. 

I was referring to Trae Young...

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Wiggins is also only under contract for the next 2 seasons. So if you're a rebuilding, small market team that trades for him you're likely going to have to massively overpay him again or lose him in free agency. 

I can't be having the same discussion over and over again can I @beekay414?

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Wiggins primary value in a trade is that his big salary can be used for salary matching purposes. If the Warriors are going to net a good player in a deal that involves Wiggins they're going to have to send Wiseman and their two picks with him. 

Again, that were assuming Wiggins were an expiring contract.  Which he isn't.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Trae was the only reason the Hawks were as good as they were? That makes no sense. 

Trae was the primary reason.  There were lot of secondary reasons (including Capela) why the Hawks made it to the ECF.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Trae was the primary reason.  There were lot of secondary reasons (including Capela) why the Hawks made it to the ECF.

Who ever said Capela was the main reason for the Hawks success? That was never stated, but he most definitely had a big impact on the team's success. 

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Again, that were assuming Wiggins were an expiring contract.  Which he isn't.

Two years will come and go so what value does Wiggins really have unless the whole haul comes with him. Not the 3 piece and a soda the Warriors have to send out the whole buffet and maybe we'll give up Joe Ingles.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:36 PM, beekay414 said:

Don't want to put this in the Finals thread because it's a hypothetical but I wanted to see what people here thought.

What would a title, this year, do for Giannis' legacy? He's already a 2x MVP and a MVP-DPOY in the same season. Where would a title put him in the all-time standings, potentially?

Passes Kawhi all time for me if it happens.

• Like 2