Jump to content

Rank the Safeties


Recommended Posts

My initial rankings below. I guess Paris Ford and Richard LeCounte move down a bit from their proday performances though. I don't get why you guys don't like Elijah Molden as a top option in this class. He seems like a Tyrann Mathieu type to me with slot/safety versatility and rare hips with at least decent athleticism, but not the Melifonwu type athlete. The guys I have as my top 5 are the only ones I've seen as quick starters, but Hamsah Nasirildeen I think is close just not as toolsy as the Syracuse guys. Paris Ford's proday scares me a lot more than LeCounte's 4.71 or whatever it supposedly was. Paris Ford had some nice hits that I thought might translate to a box safety, but that proday is a lot of flags in like every event. Hamsah might take Ford's spot, Uphoff Hamsah's spot and then Ford to Upoff's. Still going to think about it more before rearranging.

1. Elijah Molden, Washington

2

2. Trevon Moehrig, TCU

2

3. Jevon Holland, Oregon

2

4. Richie Grant, UCF

2

5. Ar’Darius Washington, TCU

3

6. Ifeatu Melifonwu, Syracuse

3

7. Paris Ford, Pitt

3-4

8. Andre Cisco, Syracuse

3-4

9. Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State

3-5

10. Richard LeCounte, Georgia

3-5

11. Jamien Sherwood, Auburn

4-6

12. Jamar Johnson, Indiana

4-6

13. Christian Uphoff, Illinois State

5-7

14. Caden Sterns, Texas

5-7

15. Talanoa Hufanga, USC

5-7

Edited by Trojan
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

In the UDFA pile

Then please explain why Richard LeCounte III is such a bad safety.  He played in a complex defensive system in college, was the leader of that secondary for three years almost.  He can tackle in space, blitz when asked and defend the pass and athletic enough to make plays on the football and interception the ball.  Sucks he got hurt this year but how poor that secondary was without him shows how key he was to their success.  He has good range, great intelligence and has played at a high level against high competition for three years arguably four years, and allowed guys like Stokes, Daniel and Campbell to play aggressive because he had the back end cover up and was in the right position more often than not.  So why again is he so awful?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Then please explain why Richard LeCounte III is such a bad safety.  He played in a complex defensive system in college, was the leader of that secondary for three years almost.  He can tackle in space, blitz when asked and defend the pass and athletic enough to make plays on the football and interception the ball.  Sucks he got hurt this year but how poor that secondary was without him shows how key he was to their success.  He has good range, great intelligence and has played at a high level against high competition for three years arguably four years, and allowed guys like Stokes, Daniel and Campbell to play aggressive because he had the back end cover up and was in the right position more often than not.  So why again is he so awful?

I’m a UGA fan. And based on his testing that is where those numbers land you. Pro days are very important right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I’m a UGA fan. And based on his testing that is where those numbers land you. Pro days are very important right?

I did not see those times but isn't he still injured?  Sure that is bad but coming off an injury and if he is still kind of hurt that is a pretty decent time.  The dude is lucky to be alive, he was unresponsive at the scene originally, usually cars and dirtbikes do not mix well.  Also rips do not heal quickly, especially broken ones.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I did not see those times but isn't he still injured?  Sure that is bad but coming off an injury and if he is still kind of hurt that is a pretty decent time.  The dude is lucky to be alive, he was unresponsive at the scene originally, usually cars and dirtbikes do not mix well.  Also rips do not heal quickly, especially broken ones.  

And he may not be healed by next season if so meaning I believe he will go Undrafted not that I think his play warrants that. I was a big LeCounte fan but I’m a realist also.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

And he may not be healed by next season if so meaning I believe he will go Undrafted not that I think his play warrants that. I was a big LeCounte fan but I’m a realist also.  

True, still the dude is one of the most talented safeties in the draft and one of the smartest safeties in the draft.  Doubt teams will just pass on him when he is clearly more athletic than that time says and he is a very accomplished safety who can do a variety of things.  If he does fall in the draft a team will get a steal, and I would be shocked if he is undrafted considering his ability in a passing league like the NFL and how few safeties can actually cover.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What the hell Paris!? 
I hope he tweaked him hammy or something, then just tried to push through. A 1.56 10 yard split is pretty good iirc? Maybe I'm remembering wrong? What a terrible performance.

Edited by Jeezla
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, Ozzy said:

True, still the dude is one of the most talented safeties in the draft and one of the smartest safeties in the draft.  Doubt teams will just pass on him when he is clearly more athletic than that time says and he is a very accomplished safety who can do a variety of things.  If he does fall in the draft a team will get a steal, and I would be shocked if he is undrafted considering his ability in a passing league like the NFL and how few safeties can actually cover.  

Better chance than you think he goes undrafted. Doesn't have to mean he won't a future in the NFL though if that time comes from being injured. Players fall for a variety of reasons. NE loves to pick up undervalued UDFA DBs anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...