Official 2021 RB Thread

goldfishwars

Well let me be the co-administrator on Mr. Williams fan account please! He's so awesome to watch. Excellent pass protection and really great ability to break tackles and gain yards after contact. Violent runner. Still, I can't put him higher than RB3. 
I watch Najee Harris and keep thinking he'll be a top 5 RB in the NFL. Incredible physical profile. Great pass catcher. Only knock on him is his long speed.
RB1 without a doubt for me.
Etienne I feel will be a better NFL back than a college one. Great speed and explosive traits. He would be my RB2. 
I also like Michael Carter and Kylin Hill later. 
Haven't seen enough tape on other to make real judgement. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 5:37 PM, goldfishwars said:

Couldn't find this thread, but just wanted to say I'm now running a Javonte Williams fan account on this website. His pass protection alone is a work of art, but as a runner he has it all. 

My thoughts on the HBs I've seen thus far (in no order):

Javonte Williams - Very well rounded HB. Has some Zach Moss/Kareem Hunt in him. Needs to become a better pass protector, but he doesn't lack the willingness or the physicality. Very difficult to tackle, good burst, and good hands.

Khalil Herbert - Great vision and feel. Will make a one-cut ZBS team very happy as a runner. Doesn't really have stand out traits otherwise. Contact balance, speed, burst, agility, etc. are all just solid. Willing blocker. Hands are hit and miss.

Jaret Patterson - He's one of my favorites in this class, but I tend to have a thing for short, stocky HBs. Outstanding feet and contact balance. Always falling forward due to leg drive and low center of gravity. Good burst. Won't be a breakaway runner on the field with NFL athletes. Willing and effective pass protector (but he can get better and will). Wasn't involved much in the passing game this year but showed well in the past (question mark for now). Has the agility to do it very well. Great vision and creativity. Reminds me of Devonta Freeman.

Najee Harris - First round talent. Reminds me of Steven Jackson. His vision has improved a lot during his time in college. Lethal in space and in the passing game. Powerful runner with good burst, contact balance, agility, and leg drive. Great hands in the passing game. DBs hate having to tackle him after the catch. Will do great work in an offense that uses him as a passing game weapon. Can improve as a pass protector, but he's willing.

Rhamondre Stevenson - I think he might be the most overlooked HB in this class. His style is reminiscent of Le'Veon Bell. He's a big HB at 6'0" 230, but he has more of a finesse style. Elusive runner with great feet and a nice spin move. Doesn't shy away from physical running, but he's a lot more creative than you expect at his size. True passing game weapon. Best pass protector in this class I've seen thus far. Soft hands and runs good routes. Has the agility to cause problems for LBs as a route runner. Looks like a potential bellcow HB who can contribute on all three down. You're basically getting a less violent/explosive Najee in the third or fourth round. Only major question for me is character (because of the suspension).

Michael Carter - Explosive runner who is more of a linear athlete. Can contribute in all phases. Seems more like a 1B HB to me. Small but compact and well built. Doesn't break tackles like Javonte, but he's faster. 

Travis Etienne - I think he's a lot like Raheem Mostert. He'll do his best work in a ZBS that allows him to plant and go when he has a seam. Is too linear of an athlete to be a first round pick imo. Has progressed a lot as a passing game weapon, but he's still not elite in that regard. Explosive runner when he puts his foot in the ground with the speed to house it. Is slippery and has impressive contact balance. He's not all that elusive.

Javian Hawkins - He seems like a #2 HB in a ZBS. Great feel for that blocking scheme. Outstanding vision and burst. Has the speed to house it. He's just too small to handle the load and too small to hold up in pass pro. Matt Breida might be a good comparison, but Breida is likely faster.

Kenny Gainwell - He's a very dangerous pass catcher. He has elusiveness and vision as a runner. My concern with him is that he's small and not physical. He might be better off as a slot receiver. But he has a lot of potential if a team can bulk him up a bit and get him to play more physically.

Demetric Felton - He's similar to Gainwell, but I think he's more physical and compact. Reminds me of J.D. McKissic. Could be a guy who sticks as a slot WR and returnman. But I think his greatest upside is as a third down HB and returnman.

Kylin Hill - He's a very well-rounded HB who does everything well but doesn't have special traits. Seems like a kid who will stick around for awhile as a backup HB because of all the ways he can contribute. I like the violence and contact balance in his game.

Pooka Williams - Explosive and very elusive. Creative runner. Can contribute as a receiver. But he's very small. Could be a kid who sticks because of his special teams value.

Trey Sermon - I didn't like his game. Felt he was too linear of an athlete and too upright of a runner. Also has some major questions about his ability to contribute in the passing game. He runs hard, and he has speed. But I don't see much creativeness to his game.

Chuba Hubbard - The fumbling and lack of physicality (especially in pass protection) completely turned me off of him.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

His contact balance is unreal

Williams_TD_4_at_Duke.gif

Javonte_Smash.gif

Javonte Williams is a stud no question and is easily the 3rd best RB in the draft if not the 2nd best.  Great player and could be as productive as JK Dobbins and Taylor were this year as rookies, and Williams also could fall to the 2nd round like they did and be an absolute steal there.

Still that Miami FL game is hard to go off that one.  They gave up 554 yards rushing at 10 yards per carry and 6 TDs.  Both Carter and Williams averaged 10+ yards per carry in that game so clearly the Canes were really small at the LB spot and they got just rocked and really lacked motivation and desire to tackle in that one.  Physically got pushed around and dominated in every way.  Williams and Carter were good the year before as well for UNC but are helped by a tough physical OL with Tucker and McKethan especially and Charlie Heck they had the year before that with those two.  Big strong group.  

Najee Harris to me is still the clear #1 RB though, has just as much balance and power Williams has and is arguably a better pass catcher and better side to side movement.  His jump cut is amazing and really does some great things when he cuts back inside instead of going out of bounce which he used to do earlier in his career.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

@jrry32 What are your thoughts on Jermar Jefferson from Oregon State. He doesn't seem to be getting any attention.

Good vision and instincts. Pretty good agility. Everything else is pretty average. He'll get what's blocked, but he's not going to create a lot of yardage. Can contribute in the passing game, but won't be overly dynamic there either. I'd compare him to Corey Clement.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 10:37 PM, goldfishwars said:

Couldn't find this thread, but just wanted to say I'm now running a Javonte Williams fan account on this website. His pass protection alone is a work of art, but as a runner he has it all. 

Yeah I'm high on him too. His tackle breaking and ability to ride and defeat contact reminds me of Jacobs a bit. I think he'll be good for any team.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 3:30 PM, jrry32 said:

Kenny Gainwell - He's a very dangerous pass catcher. He has elusiveness and vision as a runner. My concern with him is that he's small and not physical. He might be better off as a slot receiver. But he has a lot of potential if a team can bulk him up a bit and get him to play more physically.

I imagine he'll be treated similarly to Curtis Samuel at the next level. Perhaps more 50/50 positional split than Samuel, but two very similar size and ability profiles coming out.