Chris Doyle resigns

pwny

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jack Kallenberger decided to retire from the Iowa football program in January 2019 and this is what he had to say about Chris Doyle, and he is a white football player.  Thank goodness the dude is no longer employed, that would have been an awful hire for the NFL with his track record.  Stupid choice by Urban especially with his history with Zach Smith, thought he would completely stay away from guys like that which he knew of.

Jack Kallenberger :

"I quit football not because of school, but because I was broken, beat down, bullied, unwanted, and unloved. I was stripped of every ounce of self-confidence I had. I wouldn't speak in classes out of fear that I was going to be called dumb because that was my reality for two years in the Iowa football building. I was forced to forget about my learning disability (much like the coaches ignored it) and forced to believe that I was a stupid individual."

He concluded.

"At Iowa, if you don't fit the mold, you're an outcast and will be treated accordingly by many of the coaches on the staff. It is an environment where mistakes can be made, but you better not make any. IT's an environment that causes crippling anxiety, something that [former Iowa DB] Manny Rugamaba mentioned in his own personal stories as well. CHANGE NEEDS TO HAPPEN AT IOWA."

Here is the full article.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Jack-Kallenberger-Iowa-Football-Seth-Wallace-Chris-Doyle-Kirk-Ferentz--147953928/

This makes it sound like the problem wasn’t just Doyle.

Not great at all. 

9 minutes ago, pwny said:

This makes it sound like the problem wasn’t just Doyle.

Not great at all. 

True but he did oversea all the summer work and not sure the HC has much contact with players during that time, but of course Ferentz knew what was going on to some degree, but got results so probably thought it was necessary and ok.  Some guys can easily take coach talk like that, others cannot and professionally I think players have very little patience for typical college type coaching.  

Still Doyle did what Doyle did, still shocking Urban Meyer hired him, what the hell is he doing?  That is crazy to me.  Maybe give the guy a second chance but not this soon, maybe 2-3 years from now maybe give him a chance.  He was just let go June 15 2020.

Sure some coaches try to gain relationships with players by making comments like he makes, but do so in an attempt to joke or get under the skin of a guy to motivate them.  That works for some, not for everyone though.  And the list of players who came forward is not a small list so it is not made up.  Then again Iowa did have a great season this past year and the players seemed motivated to show they are a solid program.  Will be curious what they look like in the years to come.  

He was there for over 20 years which is a really long time obviously.  In a 2012 recruiting video he said out of the last 112 senior starters 101 have "enjoyed the opportunity to move on and pursue the dream of playing in the NFL".  Not sure what that means, no freaking way 101 senior starters made it to the NFL, so that is deceptive talk if I ever heard it.  Odd to hear he is such a jerk but clearly many players felt that way.

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but he did oversea all the summer work and not sure the HC has much contact with players during that time, but of course Ferentz knew what was going on to some degree, but got results so probably thought it was necessary and ok.  Some guys can easily take coach talk like that, others cannot and professionally I think players have very little patience for typical college type coaching.  

Still Doyle did what Doyle did, still shocking Urban Meyer hired him, what the hell is he doing?  That is crazy to me.  Maybe give the guy a second chance but not this soon, maybe 2-3 years from now maybe give him a chance.  He was just let go June 15 2020.

Sure some coaches try to gain relationships with players by making comments like he makes, but do so in an attempt to joke or get under the skin of a guy to motivate them.  That works for some, not for everyone though.  And the list of players who came forward is not a small list so it is not made up.  Then again Iowa did have a great season this past year and the players seemed motivated to show they are a solid program.  Will be curious what they look like in the years to come.  

He was there for over 20 years which is a really long time obviously.  In a 2012 recruiting video he said out of the last 112 senior starters 101 have "enjoyed the opportunity to move on and pursue the dream of playing in the NFL".  Not sure what that means, no freaking way 101 senior starters made it to the NFL, so that is deceptive talk if I ever heard it.  Odd to hear he is such a jerk but clearly many players felt that way.

Look no further than what Urban Meyer did at Florida, then again at Ohio State.

Ultimately, I get why Urban made this hire.

He’s one of those guys that thinks that the only thing that matters is winning. He’s got it in his head that you have to have the best of the best everywhere and nothing else matters. You ask the best of the players, and supplement that with the best resources so there’s no excuse to not meet your potential. And that’s great when you’re spending every dollar to get every great coach you can and when you’re spending millions on the weight room. 

But boy does he need to learn that there’s nuance and that you cannot build a family when people in the organization view one of the people as a bigot. Sometimes its best to have the second best person at a position if the #1 [to put it kindly] doesn’t have the skills to connect with the players.

It’s really jarring to see interviews with Urban where he clearly understands that you cannot treat players like you’re in the shut up and dribble era anymore, and then to see that he thought that players would just shut up about a bigot who claims he did nothing wrong leading an entire department in this staff.

Hopefully it has no lasting effects going forward. And hopefully this is a wake up call for Urban that he needs to take more into account than just who he thinks the best is. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Still crazy to me Shad ok'd this/allowed Urban to bring him on in the first place.

Just happy the voices of the players/fanbase were heard.

I don’t think the players or fans have anything to do with it I think Urban was going to ride out the wave.. but the media scrutiny was too much complied with the scathing report released by the Fritz Alliance.. I don’t think they were going to ideally sit by without condemning the Jaguars at each turn until they back tracked. Ultimately that’s what ended up happening. Now there are reports of how Urban stated he’s known Doyle for 20 years even back to his days at Utah but upon research their time never overlapped Doyle was at Utah 5 yrs before Urban was there. Urban is off to piss poor start already. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/12/urban-meyer-chris-doyle-never-previously-worked-together/

Edited by DuvalsKing

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

I don’t think the players or fans have anything to do with it I think Urban was going to ride out the wave.. but the media scrutiny was too much complied with the scathing report released by the Fritz Alliance.. I don’t think they were going to ideally sit by without condemning the Jaguars at each turn until they back tracked. Ultimately that’s what ended up happening. Now there are reports of how Urban stated he’s known Doyle for 20 years even back to his days at Utah but upon research their time never overlapped Doyle was at Utah 5 yrs before Urban was there. Urban is off to piss poor start already. 

I'm sure players agents got one the phone with Urban and influenced it quite a bit just like back with TCs shenanigans.

Guess the fans/media probably had less to do with it than I like to think it did, but I'm going to take solace in it regardless lol.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I'm sure players agents got one the phone with Urban and influenced it quite a bit just like back with TCs shenanigans.

Guess the fans/media probably had less to do with it than I like to think it did, but I'm going to take solace in it regardless lol.

Probably but I can just see Urban sitting back like.. this will all just blow over and be forgotten in a few days and we’ll be back to regular schedule programming. Urban, Urban, Urban.. sometimes you just have to learn. When will it happen? Hopefully sooner than later. 

12 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Probably but I can just see Urban sitting back like.. this will all just blow over and be forgotten in a few days and we’ll be back to regular schedule programming. Urban, Urban, Urban.. sometimes you just have to learn. When will it happen? Hopefully sooner than later. 

That’s really how he’s always operated. He doesn’t care what the media says, he would have ridden this out and in a week or two, the media would have moved on. The media has already basically completely moved on from Brit Reid almost killing a kid, they’d have gotten bored with this story too. The players had to have made an impact on this, because that’s all he cares about—the on field product. If players are making a stink, that impacts Free Agency and causes issues, and that’s what’s going to get him to make a move. 

We had a nice run, of being talked about for the right reasons in the media, and maybe starting to gingerly build up some goodwill and excitement, shifting perceptions of the Jaguars organization around the league as a whole.

For about a month.

Sigh.

• Like 1