Updated cuts, additions and losses: 2021

whodatworm23

The path to salary cap relevance:

This tread will be one to which we can all post, update and discuss all the Saints moves from here on out towards getting under the cap…

02-07-2021

Saints restructure Drew Brees contract:

Brees and the Saints rework his deal dropping his base salary for 2021 to 1 million saving the Saints 24 million against the 2021 cap. This move allows the Saints to split up the dead money owed to Brees over 2021 and 2022 at around 12 million per year. This move also basically assures that Brees will be retiring from the NFL as the greatest player to ever don the black and gold.

02-12-2021

Saints release offensive lineman Nick Easton

Easton’s release saves the Saints 6 million in cap space in 2021. Easton provided valuable depth on the interior of the offensive line but a rising salary and a slew of concussions made this move expected this off-season .

02-14-2021

Dolphins sign Saints reserve IOL Cameron Tom to a futures contract

Tom has bounced around the Saints practice squad and 53 man roster for a couple years now after signing on as a undrafted rookie free agent out of Southern Mississippi. Tom is athletic and versatile however undersized.

I will continue to update Saints transactions as they happen… feel free to discuss below.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I see we re-signed Ty Montgomery. This is a good keep. He can do so much, and when you bring a guy like this in as a back up running back and he churns off 100+ yards, that's pretty sweet!

Also gave JT Gray an extension.

And as you all probably saw, we've released long-time punter Thomas Morstead. A bummer, but probably time.

We've also parted ways with TE's Jared Cook and Josh Hill. I'm a little surprised that we cut Hill, but not at all surprised to let Cook go. I'm guessing Hill may have had too high a salary, and likely didn't want to restructure.

4 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm guessing Hill may have had too high a salary, and likely didn't want to restructure.

I don't think a restructure was ever on the table since he just had one year left on the deal. It wouldn't really make sense to restructure.

Unless you meant signing an extension and adding voidable years to his contract then restructuring, because that would provide a little benefit in 2021. But then you have to wonder if furthering your dead money over the next two seasons is worth a single year of TE2 services.

I really hope we don't mess with Peat's contract at all. I don't want us to be stuck with him for the entirety of the contract. I think we can get out after 3 years as long as Loomis doesn't do any Loodoo.

Also, we restructured Davis and Jordan. Jordan is a little worrisome since he had a down year and isn't getting any younger, but hopefully he returns to form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

I really hope we don't mess with Peat's contract at all. I don't want us to be stuck with him for the entirety of the contract. I think we can get out after 3 years as long as Loomis doesn't do any Loodoo.

Also, we restructured Davis and Jordan. Jordan is a little worrisome since he had a down year and isn't getting any younger, but hopefully he returns to form.

I'm almost certain we'll restructure Peat. Payton loves him, he can kick out to LT when needed. He's gonna be here a while unless he falls off a cliff.

On 3/6/2021 at 8:12 AM, Dome said:

I don't think a restructure was ever on the table since he just had one year left on the deal. It wouldn't really make sense to restructure.

Unless you meant signing an extension and adding voidable years to his contract then restructuring, because that would provide a little benefit in 2021. But then you have to wonder if furthering your dead money over the next two seasons is worth a single year of TE2 services.

Yeah, honestly, I didn't look at his current deal, so kind of uninformed typing. So, I'm guessing it was likely a "here's what we'll pay you" to which he likely said no. That's just my guess.

7 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Peat and Malcolm Jenkins restructured to create $9.4 M in cap space. Armstead and CGM are next according to Terrell.

currently only $45M over the cap lol. 

Now we can't cut Peat until 2023.