Jrry32's First Stafford Mock Draft

jrry32

I am still working to come to terms with the trade. But I don't think I'll quit rooting for the Rams. I will however root for the Lions if they keep Goff. I did the same with Warner after the Rams let him go. This mock assumes the salary cap will be set around $185 million, give or take $5 million. I am hopeful the NFL will just freeze the cap instead of dropping it and spread losses into future years, but that might be too rational for the league to do. There are reports that some veterans are interested in ring chasing with the Rams and Stafford. I took that into account in this mock. I am assuming we traded our earliest third (pick #24) for Stafford. I might be wrong about that. The details have not been announced yet on that front.

Departing Free Agents

OLB Leonard Floyd

SS John Johnson III

CB Troy Hill

OL Austin Blythe

HB Malcolm Brown

TE Gerald Everett

WR Josh Reynolds

DL Morgan Fox

OLB Samson Ebukam

Cut

ILB Kenny Young

Restructure

DL Aaron Donald

Extension

QB Matt Stafford

Resignings

LS Jake McQuaide

CB Darious Williams (Second Round Tender)

ILB Travin Howard

OL Coleman Shelton

TE Johnny Mundt

Trades

Rams trade WR Cooper Kupp

Dolphins trade Round 2 Pick #4

The Dolphins want to help Tua out. They plan to draft Penei Sewell at #3, so they make a move for a top WR to play with DeVante Parker. I'm one of Cooper's biggest fans, but with Goff gone to Detroit and Van Jefferson waiting in the wings, it could make sense to trade him. He was Goff's security blanket, and Goff is no longer here. 

Rams trade OT Joe Noteboom

Bears trade Round 5 Pick #20

There is some speculation that the Bears could cut one or both of their starting OTs. If they make a trade for a QB as expected, cap will be tight. Getting Noteboom to start at LT or RT on an affordable salary is something the Bears could use with their present cap situation.

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #4

Jaguars trade Round 2 Pick #13 and Round 4 Pick #1

The Jaguars trade up for CB Tyson Campbell. 

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #25

Vikings trade Round 3 Pick #14 and Round 3 Pick #26

Vikings trade up for an OL.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #14 and Round 3 Pick #39

Jaguars trade Round 3 Pick #1 and Round 4 Pick #25

We make another trade with the Jaguars. This time, we trade up.

Free Agency

Marvin Jones WR

Jones reportedly wants to follow Stafford to LA. He played at Cal and might be willing to sign a short-term, team-friendly deal to be on a winner.

Alex Mack C

Mack has mentioned playing for the 49ers, but I could see him chasing a ring with us. He played at Cal and is from Santa Barbara, CA. He's no longer elite, but he's still smart and effective. 

Preston Smith OLB

We'll have to be creative with the cap to sign Smith, but I think he makes perfect sense as the Leonard Floyd replacement. He's coming off a down year, will likely be cut by the Packers, and should be amenable to one year "prove it" deal to earn his final big contract. 

NFL Draft

Round 2 Pick #13 - D'Wayne Eskridge WR Western Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hxASGk6RA

Analysis: I wouldn't be surprised if Eskridge finds his way into the starting lineup sooner than later. He's a dangerous returnman who has game-breaking speed (4.3 40), sure hands, and runs crisp routes. He's a twitchy athlete who reminds me a lot of Brandin Cooks coming out of Oregon State.

Round 3 Pick #1 - Quinn Meinerz OL Wisconsin-Whitewater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvGv36ecl-w

Analysis: I expect Meinerz to be our Center of the future. He dominated at the Senior Bowl, possesses great power, has one heck of a mean streak, and moves well for a big guy. He'll develop for a year behind Alex Mack and be ready to start in 2022.

Round 3 Pick #26 - Aaron Robinson CB Central Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdl0PfDue10

Analysis: Robinson is a sticky cover CB who should fit well in our scheme. He is a physical player who can play in the slot and outside. His lack of height and length (5'11" 190 with shortish arms) will be mitigated by our zone-heavy scheme. Could push David Long Jr. and Terrell Burgess for the nickel CB job as a rookie.

Round 3 Pick #37 - Jaylon Moore OL Western Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wlN0lj6MSY

Analysis: I think Moore could be the LT of the future. He just barely meets the length thresholds (6'4" 310 with 33.5" inch arms). But he has stellar feet, balance, and mirroring ability. He has some technical flaws to solve, but after a year, he should be ready to start at OT or OG (can play four OL positions).

Round 4 Pick #1 - Tommy Tremble TE/FB Notre Dame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CYOkec-UOM

Analysis: Tremble is a physical, punishing blocker who has a lot of upside in the passing game. He's raw as a pass catcher, but he's very athletic. As a blocker, he can lead the way as a FB or blow guys off the ball lining up inline. I love his physicality.

Round 4 Pick #25 - Jaret Patterson HB Buffalo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwRiI0jVyLs

Analysis: Patterson and Rhamondre Stevenson are my two favorite Day 2/3 HBs. Patterson reminds me of Devonta Freeman. Small HB (5'8" 195) with elite feet and contact balance. Physical pass protector who has the tools to be a major threat in the passing game. Very creative runner with great vision.

Round 4 Pick #37 - Isaiah McDuffie LB Boston College

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEtGM4WwiFA

Analysis: McDuffie is an experienced and productive LB for Boston College. Undersized at 6'1" 225 pounds, he's a fast, instinctive player who makes plays all over the field. But what really impressed me was how good he was at fighting off blockers at his size. Think he could develop into a good LB for us.

Round 5 Pick #20 - Jonathan Adams Jr. WR Arkansas State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQJZPVUkWk

Analysis: Intriguing developmental WR talent here in Adams. Props to @8to12 for bringing him up. He's listed at 6'3" 220 and plays to it. Bully while the ball is in the air and dominated in contested catch situations in college. Has the athleticism to create separation, but his route running needs a lot of work.

Round 6 Pick #25 - Chris Rumph II LB Duke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJSWt8KC9s

Analysis: Rumph has fallen down the board in my mocks because I am recognizing he's the type of guy I love who always falls. He's a great football player with savvy and instincts, but he's doesn't meet the NFL thresholds in a physical trait for his position (size; he's only 6'3" 235 and plays on the edge). Might need to slide inside.

Round 7 Pick #25 - Grant Stuard LB/S Houston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJH_5gpjNac

Analysis: Stuard is undersized for a LB at 5'11" 230 with short arms, but I love him as a special teamer. He's fast, twitchy, and hits very hard. He tackles well in space too. He's a guy who will bring speed, relentlessness, and hitting to our coverage units. That'll give him time to develop as a LB (as a recent safety convert).

Projected Starters

QB: Matt Stafford

HB: Cam Akers

WR: Robert Woods

WR: Marvin Jones

WR: Van Jefferson

TE: Tyler Higbee

LT: Andrew Whitworth

LG: David Edwards

C; Alex Mack

RG: Austin Corbett

RT: Rob Havenstein

DE: Michael Brockers

NT: Sebastian Joseph-Day

DE: Aaron Donald

OLB: Terrell Lewis

ILB: Travin Howard

ILB: Micah Kiser

OLB: Preston Smith

CB: Jalen Ramsey

CB: Darious Williams

CB: David Long Jr.

FS: Jordan Fuller

SS: Terrell Burgess

K: Matt Gay

P: Johnny Hekker

LS: Jake McQuaide

KR: D'Wayne Eskridge

PR: D'Wayne Eskridge

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I am still working to come to terms with the trade. But I don't think I'll quit rooting for the Rams. I will however root for the Lions if they keep Goff.

I'm glad to hear this, and am in the same boat. I knew I could never quit the Rams, but I'm hoping Goff does great things in Detroit and will be watching most games.

I'd hate trading Kupp, but I was toying around with the idea of trading a WR as well. Trading one of Woods/Kupp with Van on the roster and going out and getting a guy that can go up and get it would make sense. Would love the Mack and Smith signings.

• Like 3

I don't like the Kupp trade at all. Also prefer no Marvin. He does offer chemistry with Stafford but I think Van's game is very similar. Marvin is better at contested catches but I think Van is definitely better at getting separation. 

I do love the draft. Especially Eskridge but to me he's not worth losing Kupp. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I don't like the Kupp trade at all. Also prefer no Marvin. He does offer chemistry with Stafford but I think Van's game is very similar. Marvin is better at contested catches but I think Van is definitely better at getting separation. 

I do love the draft. Especially Eskridge but to me he's not worth losing Kupp. 

Understandable. I am a big Kupp fan. Just keep in mind that trading Kupp also helps our cap situation. We save $10 million in cap room. I would disagree on Marvin and Van. I think they're very different players. Marvin is an outside the numbers vertical threat. Van is a polished route runner who does the most damage in the short and intermediate ranges. 

• Like 1

Breaks my heart to not see a Middle Backer upgrade but I really like this. The Kupp trade made me feel some type of way but I could see it if we draft Eskridge AND grab Marvin. Would be tough to see Kupp leave and see yet another guy get signed and traded immediately. 

• Like 1

It’s hard to give up on Kupp, but he gets banged up an awful lot. I couldn’t do it, but McSnead have shown they’re capable of trading away their grandmothers. 
McVay especially is all in on Stafford being the guy to take us to the promised land. They aren’t going into diffident mode now. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Understandable. I am a big Kupp fan. Just keep in mind that trading Kupp also helps our cap situation. We save $10 million in cap room. I would disagree on Marvin and Van. I think they're very different players. Marvin is an outside the numbers vertical threat. Van is a polished route runner who does the most damage in the short and intermediate ranges. 

I understand it saves cap but we'd likely be using the bulk of that savings on Marvin. 

I didn’t know the Goff trade hit you this hard. I know you was a huge Goff fan but I didn’t know it was this hard. It’s not like the Rams traded Goff and brought in an Oswelier type QB. For me I was the biggest Gurley fan and when they cut him it was hard personally for me but I was like ok the Rams have Henderson and then they drafted Akers which most people love both equally if not Akers more than Henderson. 

Stafford as I stated seems to fit McVay system perfectly. I’ve said Goff is doing everything McVay ask but he is still learning to do those things. The Rams already have a guy in Stafford that can step in day one and do everything. Now Stafford probably has at best 3yrs of high production but in 3yrs the Rams will then have their 1st round picks and we will see what direction they will go in terms of a long term QB solution. McVay never truly drafted his QB like we saw Reid did with Mahomes, Harbaugh did with Jackson, Carroll did with Wilson. I’m thinking of some of the best coaching in the NFL getting their first shot at drafting their potential franchise QB. So it’s going to be interesting to see if McVay go that route or if he does what Arians did and continue to bring in vets like Warner, Palmer, and Brady to run his scheme over drafting young guys high in the draft. It seemed to work for Arians too. Warner helped Arians to great seasons and a Superbowl appearance. Palmer helped Arians to great seasons and to the NFCCG. Brady obviously just helped Arians to winning the Superbowl and is the NFC favorites next season by most. 

As for Kupp, if the Rams traded him it would be the equivalent as to the Texans trading away Hopkins. It would be the biggest “what are you doing” moment by Snead. McVay would never sign off on it and it would have to be all Snead. Then by doing that Snead is legit on the clock to get fired. I can more understand trading away Woods than Kupp but even Woods I don’t see that happening. I could see the Rams going back to 11 personnel a lot more like they did in 2018 and so Woods Kupp and Jones (assuming they sign him in FA) would be lethal. Then you can throw in Jefferson a little more then obviously when the Rams go 4 or 5 wide he will he on the field. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 3:55 PM, stl4life07 said:

I didn’t know the Goff trade hit you this hard. I know you was a huge Goff fan but I didn’t know it was this hard. It’s not like the Rams traded Goff and brought in an Oswelier type QB. For me I was the biggest Gurley fan and when they cut him it was hard personally for me but I was like ok the Rams have Henderson and then they drafted Akers which most people love both equally if not Akers more than Henderson. 

I hated the decision to mortgage the future to go all in on a short-term window with a QB I don't see as special.

• Like 1

Glad to see Rumph in there, I've been a big fan of his for a while too.  He's a "roster sticker" even if he may never carve himself out a regular starter's spot.

My only real objection to the Kupp trade - well, along with turning around and sinking the pick obtained into another receiver, is that the receiver that Stafford has the most consistent chemistry with, at least since Megatron, (and yes, Golladay has a case) is Danny Amendola... a player who is a lot like Kupp before Cooper Kupp was Cooper Kupp.  Meinerz and Mack feels a bit redundant.  And yes, I get that this team continues on the Super Bowl or bust track, but Meinerz can step in Day One as a RG

Jaylon Moore is a guy I like.  Honestly, this is one of the stronger and deeper tackle classes in a while, so I'll likely be disappointed if we don't make at least some investment in a developmental apprentice to Whitworth this draft.  I also like the fit, albeit in need of some seasoning, of the likes of Walker Little and Teven Jenkins; both can also provide some depth at guard in the interim to the time when they might take over for Whit.

I'd also add Chris Evans to a list of underheralded Day 2-3 that I'm a fan of.  Michigan did him no favors the last two seasons, but his early seasons, he was IMMENSE.  Honestly, if he can bring that early collegiate quality to the NFL, he's a higher-ceiling, better version of Malcolm Brown.  He has good vision, he just doesn't trust it as he should.  This is a lofty comparison, I realize, but running style wise, he reminds me of a smaller, poor-man's Nick Chubb.  Because of his reduced role once Karan Higdon became the flavor-of-the-team, as well as his one-year suspension for academic issues, you've got to go back to his freshman and sophomore tape to really get a feel for him, but you watch him then and the guy runs like his mentor (Big Blue RB coach Ty Wheatley).

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Glad to see Rumph in there, I've been a big fan of his for a while too.  He's a "roster sticker" even if he may never carve himself out a regular starter's spot.

My only real objection to the Kupp trade - well, along with turning around and sinking the pick obtained into another receiver, is that the receiver that Stafford has the most consistent chemistry with, at least since Megatron, (and yes, Golladay has a case) is Danny Amendola... a player who is a lot like Kupp before Cooper Kupp was Cooper Kupp.  Meinerz and Mack feels a bit redundant.  And yes, I get that this team continues on the Super Bowl or bust track, but Meinerz can step in Day One as a RG

Jaylon Moore is a guy I like.  Honestly, this is one of the stronger and deeper tackle classes in a while, so I'll likely be disappointed if we don't make at least some investment in a developmental apprentice to Whitworth this draft.  I also like the fit, albeit in need of some seasoning, of the likes of Walker Little and Teven Jenkins; both can also provide some depth at guard in the interim to the time when they might take over for Whit.

I'd also add Chris Evans to a list of underheralded Day 2-3 that I'm a fan of.  Michigan did him no favors the last two seasons, but his early seasons, he was IMMENSE.  Honestly, if he can bring that early collegiate quality to the NFL, he's a higher-ceiling, better version of Malcolm Brown.  He has good vision, he just doesn't trust it as he should.  This is a lofty comparison, I realize, but running style wise, he reminds me of a smaller, poor-man's Nick Chubb.  Because of his reduced role once Karan Higdon became the flavor-of-the-team, as well as his one-year suspension for academic issues, you've got to go back to his freshman and sophomore tape to really get a feel for him, but you watch him then and the guy runs like his mentor (Big Blue RB coach Ty Wheatley).

Well, Meinerz isn't redundant because Mack will only be here for a year. It gives Meinerz a season to develop and us some depth. As for Kupp, I see the point. We could trade Woods or Kupp. I think Woods is more versatile and a better blocker, but I love both guys as players. On the LT, I see Moore as a developmental LT. I didn't like Walker Little, and it sounds like Jenkins will go in the top 50. I'll take a look at Evans. Right now, I'm really digging Patterson and Rhamondre Stevenson. Khalil Herbert also looks to be a solid HB in a ZBS. If his hands become more consistent, he could be a Justin Forsett type HB.