What does a team “going all in” look like to you?

CP3MVP

In the wake of the Bucs Super Bowl championship I see a lot of teams can see getting angry at the idea that they’re team isn’t “going all in” like tampa allegedly did. Seahawks Packers Ravens fans for example have been saying “we need to go all in for our QB” and stop playing it safe. 

The thing with Tampa is, it’s not like they mortgaged their future for this title like other teams we associate “going all in” with. They didn’t trade all their first round picks for years like the rams, they have cap space, they don’t have any Vets on terrible immovable contracts. They have an “old” QB surrounded by a young talented team. The old QB is also has 1 year left on his deal being paid below market value for how good he still is.

The “all in” moves were 

-Signing LF off the scrap heap after he was released by the worst team in football for peanuts. He was a below average back the whole season and turned it on in January.

-Trading a 4th round pick for retired Rob Gronkowski off his couch. Took him about 6-8 games to really get it going and he effectively was just a blocker in the playoffs until the Superbowl. 

-Signing AB 8 games into the season off his couch for peanuts to be a role player playing 50% or less of the snaps.

I would argue other than Brady the biggest acquisition  for Tampa this year was the drafting of Wirfs at RT who was a stud. But who considers drafting a rookie RT to be an “all in” move?

So I’m interested in people’s opinions on this, what does “going all in” mean for you? Has your team ever done it? 

I don't think you need to mortgage your future to be all-in.  It can just be a mentality thing or a combination of a lot of factors.  Anything less than a Super Bowl would have been a MASSIVE disappointment for the Bucs, even relative to other playoff contenders like the Seahawks or Rams.  In that sense, they were all-in.  And I think the coaches, front office, and players shared the same mentality too.  

I'd say bringing a guy like Gronk out of retirement or signing a risky player like AB are signs of going all-in.  They carry a lot of risk (Gronk - Injury; AB - Off-Field) and don't have a lot of long-term value but come with a lot of immediate upside.  I don't think a team that doesn't have a championship-or-bust mentality signs Brown.  At least not midseason.  But those are the moves you have to make sometimes.  Even signing Brady could be considered a risky, short-term move, because it really only works out if you make it to an NFC Championship game or a Super Bowl in 2-3 years.  I mean, yeah, a couple of playoff appearances for a franchise that needed it would have been cool.  But when you have a 43-year old QB, you either gotta be in a Championship game of some sorts within 2-3 years or it is a bust.  Because that is all you are getting until it is time to start again with another QB.  

So there are different ways to go all-in.  Bucs definitely went all-in and had an all-in mentality.  But they didn't mortgage their future to do so.  They did an amazing job.  

Edited by iknowcool

1994 49ers. Maybe the best example with all the free agent signings they did, with Deion Sanders being at the top of the list. It was a while ago though, and that was the first season of the salary cap I believe. 

Denver did it a few years ago I think after that Super Bowl beatdown. 

BTW, this thread makes me chuckle now that I think of it. I'm suddently reminded of the Redskins in the early 2000s handing out big contracts to guys like Adam Archuleta, or the Raiders seemingly every year signing has-beens that were on their last legs. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I don't think you need to mortgage your future to be all-in.

Unless we have very different interpretations of "all-in" then I really think you do.

All-in is essentially putting all of your chips on the table, not holding them for later.

11 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Moreover, what exactly is the difference between a team "going all in" and "going all out"? 🤨

Jaguars last year and the current Texans situation would surely count as “all out”?

But I get your point. Technically either phrase works!

Edited by Nightmare

I believe the 02 SB Champs Bucs were the definition of "All In".  A few years earlier, they traded 2 1st rds. for Keyshawn Johnson.  Then the Jon Gruden was a massive mortgaging of the future considering the age of the starting 22- 2 1sts and 2nds was a very high price.  It worked fortunately.   

• Like 1

I would say eagles are recent examples fall in love with Veteran players peter's , Alshon , Desean. In hopes of a win now mentality. They also offered ertz a top 3 contract last year would of been bad lol.

When you dish out the money like that in hopes of extending a window to guys who have peaked and are injury prone that screams all in to me.