NFL has no approval process for owners who transfer their team to family members

DigInBoys

The league should require teams to submit a succession plan to vet the next person up.  Rather than having teams vote ahead of time on them, they can conditionally take over where their performance as the head of ownership is reviewed.  Rooney's and the Mara's are two of the few families that seem to really understand how to prep the next generation to take over.

19 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

This may be why Cal McNair sucks. I do worry about the Falcons when Arthur Blank passes and who will own the team in that situation.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@jrry32 can confirm as the lawyer, but I think it'd look better if we avoid sticking a question mark at the end of the sentence where we tell people it's not a crime.

Push comes to shove, we'll get married. Can't convict a husband and husband of the same crime...

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

The league should require teams to submit a succession plan to vet the next person up.  Rather than having teams vote ahead of time on them, they can conditionally take over where their performance as the head of ownership is reviewed.  Rooney's and the Mara's are two of the few families that seem to really understand how to prep the next generation to take over.

The NYG families are amazing. The Jets might actually be better off in the hands of the son than the father. It's crazy to think how nuts some of these ownership situations could look. The Khans might actually be better off with Tony running them than with Shad too. But some families are going to absolutely destroy the franchises their owners built.

Edited by scar988

15 hours ago, Kirill said:

That's life. Part of growing up is realizing how corrupt and evil things are and realizing you can't do anything about it so not caring and moving on.

These younger kids think they are enacting widespread social change by posting hash tags on twitter and instagram but really they're all just narcissists. They're going to be in for a rude awakening when they get older and realize they're in a mental prison and nobody cares or has sympathy for them and guys like Cal McNair are still running the show.

If you compare the world to two hundred years ago things are so much better in a lot of ways. 

Life expectancy l, people coming out of poverty, womans rights. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If you compare the world to two hundred years ago things are so much better in a lot of ways. 

Life expectancy l, people coming out of poverty, womans rights. 

Add in smart phones, unlimited information at your fingertips, youtube, netflix, etc.

This is why we'll never get a revolution. Too much entertainment in the comfort of your own home.

12 hours ago, Starless said:

Good grief, the level of boomer bs in this thread is damn near nauseating.

Anyway, the ownership model of pro sports in this country is a joke and the Packers are the only team that gets it even halfway right. 

Besides being community owned (of course many us do not live in WI now) the only way the team will ever leave that town is if the majority of the shareholders approve.  I always feel bad for cities like Oakland and St. Louis when their teams are ripped away.

26 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Besides being community owned (of course many us do not live in WI now) the only way the team will ever leave that town is if the majority of the shareholders approve.  I always feel bad for cities like Oakland and St. Louis when their teams are ripped away.

Commies!

I do like the Packers way in relation to this. Feels 'right' that the fans own it or have a big say. Relocation is such a shame. JMO.

12 hours ago, Starless said:

Anyway, the ownership model of pro sports in this country is a joke and the Packers are the only team that gets it even halfway right. 

Are there other teams outside the US that do a better job? Legit curious. I always figured these teams were owned by conglomerates and/or the very wealthy. GB was unique to everyone in the world, right?

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Are there other teams outside the US that do a better job? Legit curious.

I wouldn't say it was exclusive to the US at all.

Just have a look at some of the owners in British football to see some absolute messes they've made of clubs.

There's supposedly a "fit and proper persons test" to ensure the prospective owner is suitable to be in that position. It's been labeled a joke on many occasions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Are there other teams outside the US that do a better job? Legit curious. I always figured these teams were owned by conglomerates and/or the very wealthy. GB was unique to everyone in the world, right?

I don't really follow pro sports outside the U.S. Although I know that there are soccer teams in Latin America that are publicly owned. Same is true of Liverpool FC. 

16 minutes ago, Starless said:

I don't really follow pro sports outside the U.S. Although I know that there are soccer teams in Latin America that are publicly owned. Same is true of Liverpool FC. 

Liverpool isn't publicly owned, they're owned by American capital (John Henry).

Germany has it the best IMO. Every club in the professional German pyramid is required to be at least 51% fan-owned. There are ways that corporate actors have gotten around it (namely Red Bull) but on the whole it leads to a far more community-oriented approach. 

In Europe teams are actually punished for failure and rewarded for success through promotion/relegation too, which both makes for more interesting competition and also ensures that Cal McNairs can't just leech off the rest of the league with no repercussions, but I suppose that's a story for another thread... 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli