Ravens Rundown: Week 6 2017

drd23

The good

- Our special teams showed up big and almost saved us

- There is some talent on defense

- We are resilient - although it is something shown when things are not going well

The bad

- Offense playcalling and execution

- We lost the ball 3 times because wide receivers/tight ends has no hands

- Too many high draft picks are busts and it begins to show

I somewhat understand Weddle trying to go for the strip, as the defense should have zero confidence in the offense doing anything, but that was a bad bad decision by a player who should be our most experienced captain on defense.

- Joe Flacco didn't get injured

- Alex Collins 

Dislike

- John Harbaugh

- Fraudy Mornhinweg

- Dean Pees

- Not running the ball down their throats with Alex Collins even though he was averaging like 3.5 ypc

- Our WRs

- Everyone who signed off on the PERRY-MAN Pick

- Maxx Williams not being who I wanted him to be

- Injuries

- The fact that everyone else can have a #1 WR and Flacco can't

- Bears did everything in their life source to give the Ravens this game and they do the job, At HOME, AT THE VAULT

This Was Good

1. Matthew Judon. Dude came to play and had a huge game. With Williams inactive someone figured to get more snaps and I thought it would be Bowser to impress. Nope. This is pretty nice to see regardless though.

2. Alex Collins. He just keeps making plays running the ball. Allen wasn't bad either today, and actually a bit more consistent without relying on a big run to get yardage, but Alex should see consistent touches every game. As long as he doesn't fumble it at least.

3. Return TDs. Rainey came up big in his first game with the Ravens this season and then Campanaro made a big play late. It's been a long time since we've seen this kind of performance in the return game... maybe prime(ish) Jacoby Jones?

This Was Not So Good

1. Receivers. Drops, drops, drops. Moore made some plays after he got in the game but everybody else was meh at best to very disappointing catching the ball.

2. Offensive Line. Yeah, it's still terrible. We're lucky the running game gets a little bit of push to work with. Otherwise this would be downright excruciating to watch.

3. Joe Flacco. Yup, he's working with trash catching the ball and blocking in front of him. But he still makes bad decisions and throws all on his own. It's one big mess that I don't have a lot of faith being cleaned up even with better receivers and blocking. He's just not the same QB he was three and five years ago.

I know it doesn't work that way, and every team has wide receivers who can't catch the ball, but if Perriman actually makes the catch on the interception, if Moore does the same and Watson holds on to the ball in the end zone, then what would Flaccos stats look like?

That was 3 huge plays right there, that make him look bad, but was all on the TE/WR's. If you guys gave seen the Texans games, Watson is bailed out on 3-4 hail mary type of plays. Trubiskys receivers made plays today. Flacco plays bad, but he has zero zero zero help and it makes sense the guy don't trust his receivers.

The playcalling should be much more aggressive. We saw how it opened stuff up against the Raiders. All the underneath stuff gotta go.

4 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

the call to pass it to Wallace in the middle w/o timeouts left was the Mornhinweg special of the day. just brilliant, thanks for keeping Tucker from kicking the game winner. 

We had, what, 24 seconds? I actually thought it would be possible to get reset and spike it. A little more heads up and better execution and we could have made it. There a plenty of really questionable calls in the game though.

7 hours ago, Danand said:

We had, what, 24 seconds? I actually thought it would be possible to get reset and spike it. A little more heads up and better execution and we could have made it. There a plenty of really questionable calls in the game though.

nope, it was 12 seconds left.

MM either has to tell his players how to f*cking execute his BS call properly or maybe, just maybe call a pass to the outside. probably just didn't have any proper call in his highschool playbook. this guy to me is just fully in over his head, week in week out.

Our offense is a perfect storm of incompetence all coming together. We have a GM who has never been able to scout and draft offensive playmakers or invest properly on that side of the ball, injuries all over the place, a clueless offensive coordinator with a hilariously ineffective scheme and zero situational awareness,, and an awful quarterback who takes a bad situation and makes it worse. 

I think we're probably screwed for the next couple of years as long as we have to reserve a huge chunk of our cap for a special needs QB but any chance we do have has to come from completely rebuilding the offense this offseason from both a coaching and personnel standpoint. 

44 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Our offense is a perfect storm of incompetence all coming together. We have a GM who has never been able to scout and draft offensive playmakers or invest properly on that side of the ball, injuries all over the place, a clueless offensive coordinator with a hilariously ineffective scheme and zero situational awareness,, and an awful quarterback who takes a bad situation and makes it worse. 

I think we're probably screwed for the next couple of years as long as we have to reserve a huge chunk of our cap for a special needs QB but any chance we do have has to come from completely rebuilding the offense this offseason from both a coaching and personnel standpoint. 

Yup, this isn't a quick fix at all. Every single unit is below average (OL when healthy might be dece). That's ABSURD to even think about. QB, RB, WR, TE, OL are ALL below average. WR might even be the worst in the league. Kendall Wright even made a play for the Bears while NONE of our guys made a play all game.

Don't care if Brandon Williams is out, you can't give up 230 rushing yards when you know they are going to run EVERY play. Tony Jefferson can't cover anyone, Weddle's tackling is questionable, our pass rush STINKS. Our CBs are good tho so at least we have that going for us.

Reason why we aren't a good team, too many busts/non contributors in the first three rounds recently:

Perriman, Williams, Correa, Kaufusi, Davis, Jernigan (good player for Eagles but traded for peanuts), Brooks (playing decent now but no longer with us), Elam, Brown. Wormley/Bowser/Williams have all been no shows so far this year. 

Good Players we drafted in the first three rounds the last five years: Mosley, Williams, Stanley. That's it (Hump looks promising tho).

Edit: Is John Harbaugh the worst coordinator selector in the NFL? Seriously.

Good

Collins and Allen ran hard, and flashed some talent again. If they could get consistent run blocking, they'd be a nice one-two punch.

Special Teams plays - smart thinking by Rainey, and we finally got to see Camp show why he's on punt returns (though I wish he'd be involved in the passing game more).

Justin Tucker is still reliable, and probably the single player on offense worth anything.

Bad

Clearly last week was an anomaly for the offense. This is the worst offense I've ever seen in my (admittedly short) time watching the NFL. Just... garbage.

Mornhinweg is terrible at calling plays, seemingly in the same wrong-headed vein of 'they think we're going to do the sensible thing? Let's do something dumb instead!' as previous Ravens OCs.

Flacco doesn't seem to care any more. Not that I can really blame him, when he's constantly given trash to work with.

The defense talks a bigger game than it plays. You want to be seen as dominant? Play that way.

The Ravens' inadequacy at drafting is becoming more and more evident, as already highlighted in this thread. A combination of not filling needs, drafting bad players, stacking positions to the point that you can't even put them all on the field. Time for a new approach.

I'm not going to do a good/bad this week, because there wasn't enough good outside of Alex Collins to formulate a list, and there's too much bad to adequately get it all on paper, so I'll kind of ramble my thoughts on yesterday's game:

So, what did the defense spend all week game planning? I really would like to know because it damn well seemed like they didn't expect Chicago to try to run the ball 90% of the time, despite Chicago doing pretty much that same strategy against Minnesota - run the ball, and use play action to bootleg Trubiski. They ran this EXACT same garbage all game long, and our defense looked like they had no idea what to expect. So again, what the heck did they spend all week game planning for? That goes STRAIGHT to coaching.

This week was another example where I think the narrative of "oh wow we miss Brandon Williams so much!" is overblown. I can't count the number of tackles we missed, or the amount of times our edge rushers gave up the edge, but again neither of those things are fixable by having Brandon Williams on the field. The Bears weren't doing anything creative or unique, just simple counters, stretches, and blast runs and our defense was just getting beat, man on man, all day long.

I'm pretty much done with Tony Jefferson already. It's been 6 weeks, and has the guy made a single notable play yet? 2 weeks in a row now I've seen him get beat in coverage for a long TD, and it happened twice yesterday. The guy is the new Kendrick Lewis, and by far our worst FA signing this year. Weddle continues to not be able to tackle, as I lost track yesterday of how many times he had a guy lined up in the box, only to flail and arm tackle and miss the tackle. I don't even really blame him for the missed tackle in OT because without a turnover, we aren't scoring anyways, but still man, you gotta make that tackle and that was pretty pathetic.

Lastly for the defense, why do we even bother drafting DE's? If the consensus is they all suck, why even bother? It seems the only guy even close to being able to play on Sunday's is Willie Henry. The other guys are beyond terrible. Chris Wormley actually managed to miss a tackle on a basically stationary Mitchell Trubiski for a safety yesterday, which was his most impressive play of the day. OH and also, WHY DO WE PLAY MATTHEW JUDON IN COVERAGE SO OFTEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

---------------------------------------------------------

As for the offense, not much to say other than it was a beyond pathetic showing. Both of Flacco's INT's were balls that hit WR's in the hands, which isn't to say that Flacco played good, but neither of those INT's are his fault in any way. Someone posted on Twitter yesterday all of the offensive day 1 and day 2 draft picks since 2012, and IIRC the list is: Crockett Gillmore, Maxx Williams, Breshad Perriman, and Ronnie Stanley. That just gives you an indication of how little investment this FO has with the offense. How they even justify paying Joe Flacco the money they do to be surrounded with absolute garbage is beyond me, because Flacco has shown that he is as good as the players around him, but the FO is paying him to be the person who elevates those around him, and it's crumbling down pretty viciously. 

The drive in OT where the defense managed to get a punt and we got the ball on our own 40, only needing a FG to win it, but couldn't even manage a 1st down, was beyond pathetic.

And what is with our play calling? Where did the creativity go? Where did the rub routes, the crossing routes, the slant routes, where did they go?! I saw ONE trail route yesterday (to Camp, which he dropped....) and Camp was wide open, but other than that it was the typical curl/out/comeback routes, everything to the sidelines with checkdowns over the middle. This offense, beyond being void of any talent at the skill positions, is just as bland as ever.

So overall it was a crappy game to watch, where the only reason it even went to OT was because Chicago imploded at the tail end of the 4th quarter and tried their hardest to give us the game, but we refused to take it. On the final play in the 4th quarter, I understand if you want to try to run a quick slant, get down and spike it, but with 12 seconds left either communicate to Wallace that he's gotta get that yardage and get down, or run a play to the sidelines. That was horribly executed.

i believe many of the short comings of this team is directly assigned to Dean Pees and Marty Mornhinweg.

what more does it take for the owner of this team or maybe the GM to acknowledge that, no matter how many draft picks and cap you hand DP, he will never be able to field a consistently top unit. i do believe we have talent on defense and should be able to do A LOT better, secondary should be a top5 unit league wide, pass rush should be able to get to the qb every damn game... nope.

OLine should be good when they stay/get healthy. i think D'Allessandris did a good job so far. imagine the current line coached by Castillo :|

i won't comment on MM any further because he is the most astrocius guy ever to be named coach.

Archived