Hypothetical for Cleveland Fans: Tom Brady or Baker Mayfield

biggie.

Brady is in the final year of his contract with Tampa and, correct me if I'm wrong, Cleveland hasn't picked up Mayfield's fifth year option..

If Brady were to hit the market again and express interest in Cleveland (they did win a playoff game, have talent and are in ok shape cap wise), would you sign him?

Edited by biggie.

Brady isnt gonna last forever and Mayfield bounced back nicely last year.   So, youre basically asking if its better to have 1 year of Brady, or possibly 10+ more with Mayfield.

Id stay with Baker.   If you ho Brady, then you need a QB going forward, and Browns fans know that can take....a little time.

• Like 4

Mayfield. 

Brady would be better for teams looking to get out over the top, and while Cleveland bounced back nicely last year, they're not quite there yet. No point having Brady there for the rebuild process only to hang them up when they (ideally) really begin coming of age. 

If Cleveland he even an average defense, you’d have to at least consider Tom. However, they’re about 5-6 pieces away defensively and Mayfield the back half of 2020 looked like he picked up like the Freddie Kitchens 2019 regression never happened.

I know a lot of people outside of Cleveland don’t buy into Baker and I get it. I think 2021 will show why most of us Browns fans do. He’s 25 and 3 seasons in, while showing lots of promise. This is a big year for him and his future.

JMHO

It sounds like Baker is being extended this year.  Teams must really think the salary cap is going up after 2021 with the new TV deal on the horizon (with online streaming as an additional source of revenue), and are trying to get ahead of the bump in QB salaries when that happens.   Lamar & Baker both sound like they are getting extended ahead of schedule.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If Cleveland he even an average defense, you’d have to at least consider Tom.

I dont think so.   

Look, I get Brady is the GOAT and people are still mesmerized by him, but taking Tom also means giving up on Baker.    As you said, I get that not everyone is sold on Baker, but if the decision had to be made this offseason, I would much rather roll the dice with Baker being my guy for another decade than taking a chance on Brady being able to come in for likely only ONE season and win a championship....only to have to turn around and find another QB the next year.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont think so.   

Look, I get Brady is the GOAT and people are still mesmerized by him, but taking Tom also means giving up on Baker.    As you said, I get that not everyone is sold on Baker, but if the decision had to be made this offseason, I would much rather roll the dice with Baker being my guy for another decade than taking a chance on Brady being able to come in for likely only ONE season and win a championship....only to have to turn around and find another QB the next year.   

I more or less was saying that they aren’t in the position to do that period. People forget that Brady was savvy enough to choose a loaded defense and offense, not just one or the other.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I more or less was saying that they aren’t in the position to do that period. People forget that Brady was savvy enough to choose a loaded defense and offense, not just one or the other.

I know, but you were saying that if your team had a better defense, you'd have to consider him.

I personally wouldnt.      I dont know how good Baker will be going forward, but Im willing to take that risk.  Even if Cleveland had the 2000 Ravens defense, I wouldnt consider it.   

The biggest question in all of this isnt really "Could Brady win a SB with the Browns?", but really "Can Baker Mayfield win the SB with the Browns?"    

With Brady at 44YO and with what Baker showed in 2020, there is no scenario, for me, where Id take Brady over Baker....unless there was a way to bring in Brady and still keep Baker long term, but there would be virtually no chance of that.   

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baker costs $10 million next year.

Brady is $25 million.

Do you think Baker would be content to just play under that 5th year option, or will he seek a long-term deal? And if it's the latter, what's his number gonna look like for 2022, which is the year we're really talking about?