Hypothetical for Cleveland Fans: Tom Brady or Baker Mayfield

biggie.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, the Browns should do one of two things:

*Extend him now for an upper mid level tier outside of that Top 8 range but with a lot of guaranteed money up front, sort of like Ryan Tannehill, so that way you can potentially get a "steal" for if he out-produces his contract, allowing the Browns to use a lot of their free cap space without mortgaging the next 5 or so years and allowing themselves flexibility to continue to load up at other positions. If he ends up being mediocre...then that's the price you pay and he'll be good enough to keep them playoff competitive during that stretch, and he'll be basically a "limbo" quarterback who keeps you in purgatory for a while.

*You wait and let him play out this 4th year, while picking up his fifth year option. If he essentially picks up in 2021 with where he left off, you know that you're going to have to shell out a monster Top 5 type deal in 2022 and beyond. 

JMHO

I agree with this, only slightly more conservative. if you can get him for ~25, you do that now. He isn't going to agree to that though

I think the Bills and Browns BOTH should pick up 5th year, and wait until mid season or next offseason to pay up. But I think for both guys the bar has to be ~top 5 / mvp candidate to justify the big, big

If they put up 4,000/25/10 - that's not "give him the money" kind of output

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I agree with this, only slightly more conservative. if you can get him for ~25, you do that now. He isn't going to agree to that though

Yes, which is why I'd try to see if ~30-32 with a lot of up front he'd bite on. It shows him that you believe in him, you guarantee him money/respect now, and then sell him on using that to continue to build around him and pay guys like Nick Chubb, Wyatt Teller, and maybe Denzel Ward, not to mention bringing in other FA types. Baker seems to want to win, so I think you may be able to get him on that type of deal...and he may out-perform it.

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I think the Bills and Browns BOTH should pick up 5th year, and wait until mid season or next offseason to pay up. But I think for both guys the bar has to be ~top 5 / mvp candidate to justify the big, big

If they put up 4,000/25/10 - that's not "give him the money" kind of output

Back 1/2 of 2020 Baker is worth a big deal. 2019-1st half of 2020 Baker isn't. While I believe that a lot of his progression is due to coaching/fixing the flaws that Kitchens and company made, getting him to the guy everyone thought he was after his rookie 2018 season...you can't pay him off of those last 8 games and playoff performances from a BIG MONEY standpoint...but I've seen enough to give him a Ryan Tannehill/Derek Carr/Kirk Cousins deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

If Cleveland would win the superbowl next season with Brady then I'd go Brady all day long. Nothing is guaranteed though except Brady is a few years over 40. So I'm going to say Baker Mayfield.  

MC

The scary thing is that you are probably more likely to win a ring with 2-3 years of Brady than you are with a full career of anybody else currently playing 

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

The scary thing is that you are probably more likely to win a ring with 2-3 years of Brady than you are with a full career of anybody else currently playing 

Then comes the question of do you value selling your soul for 1 ring--knowing your team will likely be in shambles for another 5-10 years after Brady retires. Or do you try to go for multiple rings and sustained success over a longer period of time by building organically.

Ask Broncos fans, that Super Bowl with Peyton in 2015 was amazing but its been a loooooooong 5 years after he retired with no end in sight.

It just matters how you want to build

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Then comes the question of do you value selling your soul for 1 ring--knowing your team will likely be in shambles for another 5-10 years after Brady retires. Or do you try to go for multiple rings and sustained success over a longer period of time by building organically.

Ask Broncos fans, that Super Bowl with Peyton in 2015 was amazing but its been a loooooooong 5 years after he retired with no end in sight.

It just matters how you want to build

As someone who lived in Denver since the year after they won that SB, I can tell you that as much suffering as they've had (and it has more to do with not finding a competent QB), they are still thriving off that ring which was the first in over 15 years. 

In the next 30 years, there will be a team that doesn't win a ring. Even if it's a new team every year. You go for the ring when you can get it. 

On 2/15/2021 at 7:30 AM, MWil23 said:

If Cleveland he even an average defense, you’d have to at least consider Tom. However, they’re about 5-6 pieces away defensively and Mayfield the back half of 2020 looked like he picked up like the Freddie Kitchens 2019 regression never happened.

I know a lot of people outside of Cleveland don’t buy into Baker and I get it. I think 2021 will show why most of us Browns fans do. He’s 25 and 3 seasons in, while showing lots of promise. This is a big year for him and his future.

JMHO

I definitely think he'll cement himself as a top-10 QB this year. Not sure he'll ever be a top-5 QB, but I can see him taking the Browns to the playoffs most years. He's a in a great situation, too. The Browns have an elite running game, a great O-line, solid weapons, and a ton of cap space to add to that defense. Great job by the Browns to continue building around their young QB. I can see them contending next year if they add some quality pieces to that defense.   

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

I definitely think he'll cement himself as a top-10 QB this year. Not sure he'll ever be a top-5 QB, but I can see him taking the Browns to the playoffs most years. He's a in a great situation, too. The Browns have an elite running game, a great O-line, solid weapons, and a ton of cap space to add to that defense. Great job by the Browns to continue building around their young QB. I can see them contending next year if they add some quality pieces to that defense.   

If Baker ends up being a Top 10 guy, then I'd be happy having him over the life of his career, because it's likely he'd be good enough to help contend for a Super Bowl. See: Russell Wilson twice (I'm sure I'll step on some toes there with that one), Big Ben twice, Joe Flacco once, Wentz/Foles once, The Ghost of Peyton Manning's Right arm in Denver once, and Eli Manning twice.

Yes, TB12, Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes are absolutely proving why they're worth big money in the last 15 years, but you can see how well built teams around "solid" and "very good" quarterbacks can still lead to titles and year in/year out contenders.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, lancerman said:

Can you guarantee Brady would play for another 2-3 season? If it was a sure thing that Cleveland would win a superbowl in the next 2-3 seasons with Brady then yes, I'd want Brady. 

Baker Mayfield has done something no Cleveland QB has ever done since they came back... He beat Pittsburgh twice in a row and won a playoff game. I was wrong to doubt him. Also he is not going to have the offense changed on him in the off season. Everyone will be on the same page with playoff experience. He's young and has a full career ahead of him.

Remember Bill and Tom's excellent adventure started off with a 2nd chance HC and a plucky 6th round pick. 

MC

7 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Can you guarantee Brady would play for another 2-3 season? If it was a sure thing that Cleveland would win a superbowl in the next 2-3 seasons with Brady then yes, I'd want Brady. 

Baker Mayfield has done something no Cleveland QB has ever done since they came back... He beat Pittsburgh twice in a row and won a playoff game. I was wrong to doubt him. Also he is not going to have the offense changed on him in the off season. Everyone will be on the same page with playoff experience. He's young and has a full career ahead of him.

Remember Bill and Tom's excellent adventure started off with a 2nd chance HC and a plucky 6th round pick. 

MC

Can you guarantee Mayfield will ever be consistent or win one

• 2 weeks later...

the browns should pursue brady so i can complete one of my footballing dreams, which is the steelers getting baker tbh. wanted him in the draft and hoped the browns wouldn't go and get wise and take him at numero uno, alas, eventually all the draftniks caught up to me tbh

• Like 1

Brady would go to Cleveland and have a better arsenal there than what he has at Tampa.

It would probably be the first Super Bowl win in franchise history for Cleveland.  

I could see them scrapping Baker Mayfield if that was the case.  

I mean, he’s the face of the Cleveland Browns and he’s only getting better as time passes, but if their offensive line stays healthy, Brady would be a great fit there.