Jamison Crowder will likely be a cap casualty

turtle28

19 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He was hurt a lot here wasn't he ? Hamstrings frequently  it seems . Still, only 28 years old in June . I'm good==IF,,,, we don't OVERpay ..

He did battle a few injuries but it wasn’t any different than what most WRs deal with. One thing is clear, his production in the slot was missed the last two years. I’d take Crowder on one leg over Quinn or what we got out of Steven Sims/Wright combined last year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Signing Crowder and then drafting Bateman at 19 would greatly improve our passing game!

Would be an interesting approach. Certainly much cheaper than a top WR FA, but perhaps that would be all we’d need (assuming Bateman hits quickly). 

I’d be okay with this IF they took the money they saved at WR and used it elsewhere. I’m thinking specifically FS, where there are some very interesting FA options. Not saying necessarily Justin Simmons — though that would be awesome — but even one of these guys like Marcus Maye, Marcus Williams, Anthony Harris, etc. would be a big upgrade on the back end. 

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

Would be an interesting approach. Certainly much cheaper than a top WR FA, but perhaps that would be all we’d need (assuming Bateman hits quickly). 

I’d be okay with this IF they took the money they saved at WR and used it elsewhere. I’m thinking specifically FS, where there are some very interesting FA options. Not saying necessarily Justin Simmons — though that would be awesome — but even one of these guys like Marcus Maye, Marcus Williams, Anthony Harris, etc. would be a big upgrade on the back end. 

Problem is, Rivera does not have a history of spending big in FA.  Not sure if your invest it somewhere else includes an investment in contract extensions though.  That is certainly happening.  I am taking the viewpoint of any big contract being a surprise, so I won't be disappointed when they don't make a big splash.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Problem is, Rivera does not have a history of spending big in FA.  Not sure if your invest it somewhere else includes an investment in contract extensions though.  That is certainly happening.  I am taking the viewpoint of any big contract being a surprise, so I won't be disappointed when they don't make a big splash.  

I won’t be surprised, but I’ll still be disappointed. 

Crowder makes a lot of sense for them, in many respects. Proven, professional guy. Potentially buy-low because he’s had the injuries and because he spent the last couple seasons in the football hinterlands. Somewhat multiple, can be a guy who does your gadget stuff. Won’t affect the comp pick formula because he’d be a release, not a UFA.

But the one big competitive advantage we have over most of the teams who had some success last season is cap space. It’s a more rare commodity than ever, and it would be so painfully stupid to just sit on it at a time when we could capitalize on being one of the better teams with cap space. Windows don’t last forever in the NFL, at least not when you don’t have a QB — you have to strike while the iron is hot. And the iron is at least warm here, at this point. I really hope they won’t shrink from the opportunity, even just one high-level talent at a big need position could make a major impact. If not WR, one of those FS options could help take the defense to another level. 

• Like 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but Rivera went all in on Stafford, last time I checked he’s not on a vet minimum salary. I think if there’s a FA he feels is worthy the $ that he’ll invest in them, like they tried w/ Cooper & Hooper last year but they didn’t offer as much guarantee $ plus Cooper probably wanted to stay with his franchise Qb instead of our unknown QB situation.

Rivera Also spent moderately at CB with Fuller.

Edited by turtle28

I was okay with them letting Crowder walk because he was always hurt and I’m okay with them not bringing him back. I’d much rather go after a big fish and just be done with this position for awhile. I’m still expecting we’ll end up with Cam Newton and Curtis Samuel though. I bet they make a run at Kenyan Drake as well like they were going to last year. 

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Rivera went all in on Stafford, last time I checked he’s not on a vet minimum salary. I think if there’s a FA he feels is worthy the $ that he’ll invest in them, like they tried w/ Cooper & Hooper last year but they didn’t offer as much guarantee $ plus Cooper probably wanted to stay with his franchise Qb instead of our unknown QB situation.

Rivera Also spent moderately at CB with Fuller.

The fact that we didn’t close any of those deals, and were rumored to be well behind the guaranteed money for Cooper and Hooper, indicates an extreme hesitancy to give out those kind of deals.  

Stafford, I can’t argue that, but it’s also the QB position.