Packer Prospect Interest Thread

Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, R T said:

This isn't a shot at anyone, but I'll never understand why fans think they need to make a decision on if the Packers should or shouldn't draft someone. Fans convince themselves in the pre draft process who would be good picks and bad picks off little to no information and than are upset with the Packers if they draft a player they concluded not worthy. Maybe a better idea would be to try and understand why the team drafted someone and except the fact that they probably know better. Like with Farley's medicals. Maybe. Just a thought. 

Except we have a track record of Farley's medicals and enough knowledge to know why they would be a major red flag. We don't want to go through Justin Harrell again...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R T said:

This isn't a shot at anyone, but I'll never understand why fans think they need to make a decision on if the Packers should or shouldn't draft someone. Fans convince themselves in the pre draft process who would be good picks and bad picks off little to no information and than are upset with the Packers if they draft a player they concluded not worthy. Maybe a better idea would be to try and understand why the team drafted someone and except the fact that they probably know better. Like with Farley's medicals. Maybe. Just a thought. 

I'd agree with just about any other injury but this one.  This type of injury is a career ender.  I am really surprised by the lack of knowledge about back surgeries.  Again if you know anyone that has had this procedure talk to them.  The Packer medical staff if they are competent will recommend not drafting him.  Back injuries and playing professional football don't mix.

I'll challenge you to name a player who had a microdiscetomy and went on to have a successful career in the NFL.  If the Packers to take him in the 1st round I will not be on board period.  I'll view it as a very bad mistake and wasted pick.  There is no full recovery from this type of injury.  I have had a microdisectomy procedure myself and know others that have.  The kid is going to have a short career.  Pick has bust written all over it of that I am sure.  Take a late round flyer and hope for a miracle sure.  No early than the 4th.  I'll be real curious to see where he gets taken.  If I was GM he'd be off my board completely.  

Really the kid should not be playing football.  He's putting his long term health at serious risk by doing so.  It's a real real bad injury RT.  The kid ruptured his disc.  They wouldn't have performed the procedure if he hadn't. 

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 1

Hey, I think Caleb Farley could be an outstanding cornerback too--if he didn't hurt his back. But he did. And Scoremore is absolutely correct--a ruptured disc is way more serious than commonly understood. It demands a microdisectomy.  And, yes, I am a person who recently had to have it done. Just like Farley, a few weeks after the operation I felt like a new human being. Everything was going to be great. Then a couple months later my right leg and hip went completely numb. Then my right arm. Two months after that and three trips a week for unsuccessful physical therapy, I had to have fusion surgery. Now my back is held together with titanium rods and screws. I can't bend over to tie my shoes. Scoremore speaks truth: "There is no full recovery from this type of injury." I learned this in spades during the months of rehab I endured as I sat in waiting rooms talking to others who had the procedure. Like I said, I would love for him to be a Packer's pick--but one good collision on a tackle and he could wind up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Just too risky.

• Like 2

I saw a video somewhere saying that Tony Romo and Tiger Woods had the same surgeries. Didn't solve much for those guys and Farley is gonna be subjected to much more contact. It's just not worth it IMO. Not to mention he will likely be making business decisions on every play that won't make anyone very happy

Edited by cannondale

8 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I'd agree with just about any other injury but this one.  This type of injury is a career ender.  I am really surprised by the lack of knowledge about back surgeries.  Again if you know anyone that has had this procedure talk to them.  The Packer medical staff if they are competent will recommend not drafting him.  Back injuries and playing professional football don't mix.

I'll challenge you to name a player who had a microdiscetomy and went on to have a successful career in the NFL.  If the Packers to take him in the 1st round I will not be on board period.  I'll view it as a very bad mistake and wasted pick.  There is no full recovery from this type of injury.  I have had a microdisectomy procedure myself and know others that have.  The kid is going to have a short career.  Pick has bust written all over it of that I am sure.  Take a late round flyer and hope for a miracle sure.  No early than the 4th.  I'll be real curious to see where he gets taken.  If I was GM he'd be off my board completely.  

Really the kid should not be playing football.  He's putting his long term health at serious risk by doing so.  It's a real real bad injury RT.  The kid ruptured his disc.  They wouldn't have performed the procedure if he hadn't. 

I feel this is drifting away from the point of my posting. I'm not campaigning for the drafting of Farley, with the Packers history I would guess he is not on their board. My point is that if the Packers draft ANYONE, Farley included, with a red flag medical history it is done with a great deal of thought and research that no fan has done. Every medical issue is not the same, every back issue is not the same. One thing that may point to the fact that teams do not think it is as big a deal as some fans is that he was still invited to the draft for the 1st round, even after the back procedure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

I feel this is drifting away from the point of my posting. I'm not campaigning for the drafting of Farley, with the Packers history I would guess he is not on their board. My point is that if the Packers draft ANYONE, Farley included, with a red flag medical history it is done with a great deal of thought and research that no fan has done. Every medical issue is not the same, every back issue is not the same. One thing that may point to the fact that teams do not think it is as big a deal as some fans is that he was still invited to the draft for the 1st round, even after the back procedure.

Yah I see that.  Pundits are also trying to minimize the injury.  Don't think doctors make mistakes?  Unless you have had the surgery you wouldn't understand.  Whenever you herniate a disc to the point of requiring surgery you are screwed.  It's that simple.  There is really no gray area here.  Outcomes can vary but no one is ever the same.  I am quite sure teams are all over this.  Different doctors will have different opinions some may advocate drafting him.  Fine let someone else take him.  Anyone that has had this surgery knows better.  Done posting on this we can revist it in a couple of years and see how his career unfolds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Yah I see that.  Pundits are also trying to minimize the injury.  Don't think doctors make mistakes?  Unless you have had the surgery you wouldn't understand.  Whenever you herniate a disc to the point of requiring surgery you are screwed.  It's that simple.  There is really no gray area here.  Outcomes can vary but no one is ever the same.  I am quite sure teams are all over this.  Different doctors will have different opinions some may advocate drafting him.  Fine let someone else take him.  Anyone that has had this surgery knows better.  Done posting on this we can revist it in a couple of years and see how his career unfolds. 

Then done deal. The GB medical staff surely knows what you know and he wont be drafted by GB.

23 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

As for actual Packers prospect interest, is CB Farley completely off of GB's board or do they select him in RD1 if he's there?

19 hours ago, Scoremore said:

God I hope he's off their board.  Pundits still have him going in the 1st.  2 back surgeries.  If you have had one you know the deal.  The kid will be battling this injury the rest of his life.  These pundits are seriously underestimating the long term impact of this injury.  It's not one that you ever fully recover from.  Wouldn't touch him until the 4th round.  He'll probably end up going high just hope it's not the Packers.  Talk about a medical red flag this is about the worst one you could have.

I think Gute will draft on the side of caution.  His selection of Jordan Love will make or break him, especially after Rodgers is eventually traded .   Farley is likely too risky.  I think Gute is approaching this draft for the post Rodgers era, not necessarily next year, but building a future foundation around Love.  You might not see the draft built for Rodgers this year, but one built for a new QB without much experience.  

42 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Gute will draft on the side of caution.  His selection of Jordan Love will make or break him, especially after Rodgers is eventually traded .   Farley is likely too risky.  I think Gute is approaching this draft for the post Rodgers era, not necessarily next year, but building a future foundation around Love.  You might not see the draft built for Rodgers this year, but one built for a new QB without much experience.  

Thanks for making me depressed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Thanks for making me depressed

Lol, its life in the NFL.  Rodgers hasn't been in a Super Bowl in 10 years and is 1-4 in the NFCCG.  He's won as many NFCCGs as Rex Grossman.   I think MLF (and perhaps Gute) thinks his offense is good enough to win with a lessor QB and wants more money spent across the board.  It doesn't make Rodgers any less great, it just comes down to dollars and time left.  37 and $40 million cap hits in the coming years won't help.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Lol, its life in the NFL.  Rodgers hasn't been in a Super Bowl in 10 years and is 1-4 in the NFCCG.  He's won as many NFCCGs as Rex Grossman.   I think MLF (and perhaps Gute) thinks his offense is good enough to win with a lessor QB and wants more money spent across the board.  It doesn't make Rodgers any less great, it just comes down to dollars and time left.  37 and $40 million cap hits in the coming years won't help.

I get it. I was fine with this philosophy for years and still sort of am but it's just gotten old now. It is what it is I guess. It's only football