Packer Prospect Interest Thread

Arthur Penske

7 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Gute will draft on the side of caution.  His selection of Jordan Love will make or break him, especially after Rodgers is eventually traded .   Farley is likely too risky.  I think Gute is approaching this draft for the post Rodgers era, not necessarily next year, but building a future foundation around Love.  You might not see the draft built for Rodgers this year, but one built for a new QB without much experience.  

The draft is likely going to be the best players they feel are available and the media will spin it in the best way to get clicks. For example: can you give me an example of a selection that would be for Rodgers vs one that would be for Love?

• Like 1

One player isn't going to swing it, but we'll have to look at their draft as a whole when its over.  They need lots of help on defense, but more importantly for Gutekunst is the success of Jordan Love when that transition takes place.  Hes got a lot riding on his selection of Love last year.  What if Adams takes off as a FA knowing Rodgers may not be around?  Who is Love going to throw to?   Would that change their philosophy of not taking a WR in round 1?  They probably wouldn't with Rodgers staying a few years, they might with Love coming soon.  Same with OL, if your plan is to transition to Love after next year, you might want to beef up your front with a inexperienced QB coming in vs the league MVP.   Agree, I think he'll pick the best players he can, I'll be interested in what positions he goes for with a potential new QB in 2022 and building for that possibility.  

16 hours ago, deathstar said:

The draft is likely going to be the best players they feel are available and the media will spin it in the best way to get clicks. For example: can you give me an example of a selection that would be for Rodgers vs one that would be for Love?

So I thought about this and the only thing I can come up with is maybe an edge rusher early?

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 12:00 PM, NFLGURU said:

...I think Gute is approaching this draft for the post Rodgers era, not necessarily next year, but building a future foundation around Love.  You might not see the draft built for Rodgers this year, but one built for a new QB without much experience.  

I fully agree that Gute is drafting for the long haul, GM's always do, at least good ones.  But I don't anticipate any QB distinction, or that the players drafted are going to provide much insight into the future at QB. 

Gute is going to be drafting with the intent of getting good players who will be good throughout their rookie contracts and beyond.  Adding the best players you can is always the goal; and is desirable regardless of who's playing QB.  Certainly Gute is drafting for the long run, GM's pretty much always do.  We just saw him do that last year; coming off a 13-win season, his first picks were obviously guys he scouted as best long-haul values, but not as rookie game-changers.  Likewise Gary was a long-haul pick.  When you're drafting 29th per round, you're never going to expect a 29th-pick rookie to be an instant game-changer. 

Obviously drafting for the long haul does not preclude drafting players who might contribute as rookies.  *IF* you think you've scouted a guy who might be good already in year 1, you probably think he's got a chance to be good in years 2-3-4-5 also.  So I think it will be about the individual players available, not about the QB.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, deathstar said:

If the Packers draft a Personal Chef or a Massage Therapist for Rodgers individual needs, than they selecting to win now with Rodgers. All other selections are for Love. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 7:10 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Off topic, but is there a group of "smart" people that are dumber than engineers? College Professors do not count.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, incognito_man said:

Definitely depends on the engineering specialty ha. My specialty I've found has significantly more socially functional engineers than others :)

They exist? ;)

Seriously engineers are obviously important and a good job, but I find they frequently think more highly of their field than it really is thought of by outsiders. Lawyers could be as bad/worse though. 

Engineers that have math skills and communication/people skills are very rare and very sought after. And I think many engineers think they have people skills when they don't lol. I've met a handful in my industry which is dominated by engineers, and they're al executives.

On 4/18/2021 at 7:03 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Feel like you've never talked to a doctor

On 4/18/2021 at 9:10 AM, VonKarman said:

6 of them in my family, including my brother. Yeah, they are similar to engineers in that regard.

Eh, while often true for docs I think it's fair to say doctors are valued significantly higher in society than an engineer so at least their self of self importance is somewhat validated haha.

I don't hate engineers, just venting as I work with them as the Dbag MBA grad role. 

YARN | How's my favorite branch doing? | The Office (2005) - S05E01 Weight  Loss | Video gifs by quotes | d4ad04e6 | 紗

Edited by Arthur Penske

21 minutes ago, R T said:

If the Packers draft a Personal Chef or a Massage Therapist for Rodgers individual needs, than they selecting to win now with Rodgers. All other selections are for Love. 

DeShaun Watson puts out a good Massage Therapist draft guide.  The mock draft is done by Robert Kraft.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

I have a feeling Holland or Tyson Campbell will be our first pick. Or a tackle. ****. Idk. Hurry up draft, God damnit.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's either of those guys.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was Jayson Oweh, either.  I really don't think they'll take an OT in round 1.

EDIT:  With that said, they'll probably grab an OT in round 1.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1