Packer Prospect Interest Thread

Arthur Penske

11 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Maybe interest?

“I’m told the speed-needy Green Bay Packers and New Orleans Saints are two teams that are high on Eskridge.”

Speculation. Also, a simple google search turns up that the Rams are looking at him. Do they pull the trigger on him at 57? Probably not, but they select again at 88 before we do at 92. 

I think a lot of these 5-9. 5-10 tiny receivers with super fast 40 times are getting all the buzz because people are trying to find the next Tyreek Hill. I'm willing to bet that these guys are all early Day 3 guys if Tyreek Hill didn't exist because people would remember Tavon Austin, Trindon Holiday, and some of these other smaller WR's that ultimately failed in the league because they were relegated into being RS's only. 

12 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Maybe interest?

“I’m told the speed-needy Green Bay Packers and New Orleans Saints are two teams that are high on Eskridge.”

If history tells us anything, it is if Pauline leaks that the Packers are interested in a certain player the last week before the draft, the Packers have no interest in that player. Total smokescreen. 

• Like 1

DeVonta Smith may be falling in this draft.  His size 6'0, 160 pounds may have some teams concerned.   Great college player, but the NFL is a different animal.    You might be able to get a similar player later on in the draft.    If he was  available at say #20-25, would you go up for him?    Would you take him at #29, or pass on him?      If there is a candidate to slip in this draft, he might be it.    

18 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

DeVonta Smith may be falling in this draft.  His size 6'0, 160 pounds may have some teams concerned.   Great college player, but the NFL is a different animal.    You might be able to get a similar player later on in the draft.    If he was  available at say #20-25, would you go up for him?    Would you take him at #29, or pass on him?      If there is a candidate to slip in this draft, he might be it.    

I don't think there's any realistic chance he falls past 15 much less 30 but if he's there when we pick he'd be very difficult to pass on. He's special with or without the size concerns.

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Ya know......there's no way to discount what he's accomplished at a major college level - but I see the highlights the TV shows put on when they're talking about him....and I'll tell ya.....he doesnt strike me as an outright burner and his route running isnt all that deceptive.

Nowwww.....the guy won the Heismann - so clearly these "highlights" arent doing him justice. I guess. Best I see of him are the contested catches he makes in the end zones. There's some good hand/eye coordination going on there.

He's a scheme fit IMO.....and I'm pretty confident MLF could get him open. How long he'll last is anybody's guess.

Edited by Leader

No offense to Tony Pauline, but he's not often correct about things when it comes to Green Bay. It's almost like someone on the inside is feeding him stuff to intentionally mislead. Off the top of my head, here are some things he's said in past years: 

- GB wanted to move DB69 to guard and draft a LT (in 2016)

- GB loved Jeffrey Simmons

- GB “loved” Jachai Polite

- GB “loved” Jessie Bates (they drafted Josh Jackson a handful of picks before he went)

I'm not suggesting that he's totally wrong about these things just because they didn't happen, but I wouldn't put too much stock in GB "targeting" Eskridge when he doesn't generally fit their profile. Even if they like him on some level, I don't expect them to target or move to get him too stridently. Gute isn't as tight-lipped as Ted Thompson, but he also doesn't generally let the draft stuff get out. Not a whiff of anything on Jaire before we drafted him. Then again, there was some smoke with JLove, so you never know. 

Edited by Isherwood

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Ya know......there's no way to discount what he's accomplished at a major college level - but I see the highlights the TV shows put on when they're talking about him....and I'll tell ya.....he doesnt strike me as an outright burner and his route running isnt all that deceptive.

Nowwww.....the guy won the Heismann - so clearly these "highlights" arent doing him justice. I guess. Best I see of him are the contested catches he makes in the end zones. There's some good hand/eye coordination going on there.

He's a scheme fit IMO.....and I'm pretty confident MLF could get him open. How long he'll last is anybody's guess.

He's no burner but he's a technician as a route runner. Unbelievably deceptive in and out of his breaks to go along with top notch body control. Leaves corners guessing as the game goes on. Size would concern me a lot more if he didn't have elite hands to boot but he does and thus I don't worry about him being able to hang on to it over the middle consistently like I would otherwise due to his slender build.

Edited by Rodjahs12

Truth is every team is high on Eskridge, I love a guy like that for GB.  There are half dozen others with similar profile going from 2-5 in this draft.  It will be interesting to see where they all go...I think we get one of them.  Eskridge very high on my list but will likely so sooner than we will go...

I more than anything want a D-Lineman high, but likely there won't be a worthy one at 29 no pun intended.

Beware the 3-Tech D-Tackle asked to 2-Gap, although in this new defense install we may not 2 Gap as much.

I am hoping for a quality D-Lineman or two in Rounds 2-4...

43 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Truth is every team is high on Eskridge, I love a guy like that for GB.  There are half dozen others with similar profile going from 2-5 in this draft.  It will be interesting to see where they all go...I think we get one of them.  Eskridge very high on my list but will likely so sooner than we will go...

I more than anything want a D-Lineman high, but likely there won't be a worthy one at 29 no pun intended.

Beware the 3-Tech D-Tackle asked to 2-Gap, although in this new defense install we may not 2 Gap as much.

I am hoping for a quality D-Lineman or two in Rounds 2-4...

Like who? This DL draft is pretty ****ty. I'd like Jalen Twyman in r4, maybe even with our pick in r3. 

Yes, I like Twyman too.  But where are Barmore and Onwuzurike going to go?   McNeill and Tufele?  Nixon, Williams and Togiai?   I know our picks in 2 and 3 are late, doesn't mean we won't trade up in those Rounds or out of the 1st all together.