Former Chargers / Bucs WR Vincent Jackson found deceased at 38

Forge

16 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I still hate that if it wasn’t for the 2008 DUI and the 2009 police incident before the Jets playoff game, he would have been a Charger pass 2011.

Was that the dealbreaker? Imo you either cut a guy outright or ride with him. Although holding something from 2 years prior does seem to be a very Spanos thing to me...

1 minute ago, DutchFalcon said:

Was that the dealbreaker? Imo you either cut a guy outright or ride with him. Although holding something from 2 years prior does seem to be a very Spanos thing to me...

It was more of an AJ Smith dealbreaker, which I completely understand. VJ was one incident away from being suspended an entire season after the DUI. He would have been extended if it wasn’t for that second DUI. They waited another year and he did great again, and then had the Jets situation, which threw another wrench into contracts talk. VJ held out the following 2010 season before returning towards the end of the year. He was franchise tagged in 2011 before leaving in 2012 to play with the Bucs.

• Like 1

This is a rough one. I can't remember being so down on a player death since Steve McNair died about a decade back, and I thought a lot about Jackson's death this morning when I got the news. Vincent Jackson was one of my favorite players to watch in the NFL. I guess because I'm a closeted Chargers fan to a degree. He perfectly fit the mold of what I would want in a receiver personally. Like others have already stated, he really appeared to be a super great guy that really invested his time in the community via his JacksonToAction83 charity for military families. He also had a couple of side business like his restaurant, and I think a real estate company he had started. Someone else referenced the spotlight article about him a few months ago. I read a bit of it here:

https://www.businessobserverfl.com/article/vincent-jackson-37-tampa

Okay, I know that is mostly a fluff piece, but it's hard not think that this dude had a pretty good life going for himself. Played a while the NFL, didn't have any major surgeries during his playing career, retired on his own terms, had three beautiful children along with a beautiful wife, and was making some positive impact with his charity that he loved doing. He said something along the lines of really being excited to get back into the civilian world to help make a change. A lot of players really struggle with that transition after their playing career is over. Especially having been in the NFL that long. Also, seemed like he really fell in love with the Tampa community. Real sharp sounding dude too:

I mean, who wouldn't want to be 6'5", good looking, and in great shape? Even his hairline stayed crisp. I think we'd all sign up for that. But, as it just goes to show you that you never know what's really going on. Not to get too personal, but after starting 2021 trying to get things back on track for myself, I went into the darkness the last few days. Kept getting tripped up on how life isn't fair, and all that jazz. Was spending way too much time going down internet rabbit holes regarding society. Then this happens. Grass isn't always greener I guess. From the outside, it would seem strange as to why someone in Jackson's situation, as sharp as he seemed, would be away from his wife and three kids for about a month to the point they had to file a missing person's report for him. After the police located him following a welfare check, he was found dead two days later. We'll probably never know unless his family decides to speak out, but it really makes me sad. Especially since he said he loved being a pops, and I have a young son myself. 

Side note: I know we don't know what led up to his death. Could have been a combination of marital issues, drugs, CTE, depression, whatever. However, I just want to say maybe if you have a friend you haven't heard from in a while, just shoot a text. Could be something simple like "sup G???" I only have about 5 folks I keep in touch with now, but a lot of the time I don't reach out because I don't want to seem like a bother. After today I just hit them up. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

That touchdown to beat the Chiefs to keep the Chargers season alive in 2008 was awesome to witness. Also, I thought the Steelers might be on their way that same year after Rivers threw the bomb TD to Jackson against the Steelers in the divisional right after the game started. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

It was more of an AJ Smith dealbreaker, which I completely understand. VJ was one incident away from being suspended an entire season after the DUI. He would have been extended if it wasn’t for that second DUI. They waited another year and he did great again, and then had the Jets situation, which threw another wrench into contracts talk. VJ held out the following 2010 season before returning towards the end of the year. He was franchise tagged in 2011 before leaving in 2012 to play with the Bucs.

This is spot on. To add context, there was a period of time (2004-2006 or so) where numerous Chargers were in trouble with the law.  Steve Foley was shot by an off duty cop (ending his career), Shaun Philips had multiple incidents in the Gaslamp District, Jamal Williams DUI, and I think there were more, I just can’t remember off the top of my head. Anyway, Spanos was reported to be deeply embarrassed by these incidents and basically laid down a zero tolerance rule. Most of those guys were jettisoned off the team.  Jackson’s run ins with the law directly related to him not getting a long term deal in San Diego (I miss saying that LOL).  To ownerships credit, I can’t remember the last player to have legal issues on the team. Also, I will guarantee the Chargers will not draft anyone with any sort of character red flag, it’s pretty much straight choir boys only.  

That aside, RIP VJ, a man’s life is bigger than football. I hope peace finds those you left behind

• Like 1