What are you thinking about?

pwny

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I had a comment about scalping said person all lined up... Because I'll do it. I'm over the edge right now.

I miss heat, I miss my air fryer.

I just didn’t read the room before a unsober post. Definitely wasn’t the best timing. I’m just really angry for you guys down there. 

• Like 3

Finally got power back. 43 hours without, and I'm all but certain I'll lose it again before the weekend. Wife woke up half mad I turned on the lights while she was sleeping, but then realized it was actual power working through the house.

Charging all devices and turning the heater on right now...

• Like 5

From everyone in CA who lived through the 2020 hell fires, Texans, we stand in solidarity with you. I hope y'all get some normalcy in your lives soon. I know what it's like to be consumed by something like this 

To all of the Californians who moved to Texas recently because you were b****ing about how the state is run, we laugh in your faces 

I guess even the utility companies **** ups are bigger in Texas 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Finally got power back. 43 hours without, and I'm all but certain I'll lose it again before the weekend. Wife woke up half mad I turned on the lights while she was sleeping, but then realized it was actual power working through the house.

Lasted about 3.5 hours. Got some juice, got the house a bit warm and freezer cold, but that's it. Might get power again for 2+ hours later today...

This SUCKS.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

From everyone in CA who lived through the 2020 hell fires, Texans, we stand in solidarity with you. I hope y'all get some normalcy in your lives soon. I know what it's like to be consumed by something like this

Oh, this ain't our first Rodeo. We're used to this, hurricane season always knocks out power for a few days for us. I think I was without power from Ike for close to two weeks...

THIS is different because it's so damn cold. Hurricane season, it's usually still 65+ outside, so when you lose power you just crack open all the windows, light a bunch of candles, take a Tylenol PM and read a book until you pass out.

This 15-30 degree crap with no power? Nope... nope... hell to the no. Give me 110 degrees with 120% humidity any single day of the week over this cold nonsense.

I'm done with this cold forever.

Texas: Disconnects its power grid from the rest of the country so it doesn't have to meet federal safety regulations

Texas: Ignores warnings 30 years ago that their grid is outdated and will collapse in a situation like this

Texas: Ignores reminders 10 years ago that they need to upgrade or the grid will collapse

*grid collapses*

Texas: WhO cOuLd HaVe SeEn ThIs CoMiNg?? BlAmE SoLaR aNd WiNd!!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Texas: Disconnects its power grid from the rest of the country so it doesn't have to meet federal safety regulations

Texas: Ignores warnings 30 years ago that their grid is outdated and will collapse in a situation like this

Texas: Ignores reminders 10 years ago that they need to upgrade or the grid will collapse

*grid collapses*

This checks out, yup.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

*grid collapses*

Texas grid was designed to operate during hot summers. Not cold winters. To prevent this from happening again will require heavy investments to upgrade the grid. That can only be paid for by raising prices. 

In Cali the grid was designed to operate in a mild spring or fall. Same solution applies.

24 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Texas grid was designed to operate during hot summers. Not cold winters. To prevent this from happening again will require heavy investments to upgrade the grid. That can only be paid for by raising prices. 

In Cali the grid was designed to operate in a mild spring or fall. Same solution applies.

I'll start by saying that I don't have nearly the depth/breadth of knowledge to form an opinion - but I know this has been a line item to discuss for decades, not just years.

Those in power (no pun intended) kept kicking the can down the road. A viable 5-10 year plan could have mitigate costs and managed the changes necessary. A little bit of foresight could have prevented perhaps one of the worst natural disasters in this area.

There was time to manage for this, there were plenty of mild winters where people could ask "what if..." but nobody asked that question, or - worse still - they asked and someone said "nah, this is TEXAS, that'll never happene here..."

Pretty much everyone in charge of policy and infrastructure needs to be held accountable for this - and they need to feel this cold as badly as we do.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

We’ve had power since 2 minutes before midnight here. 11 and a half hours straight. I’m hoping this means that things are getting back to normal. Gonna put my food back in my fridge, because I believe in us!

• Like 1