What are you thinking about?

pwny

You ever spend all week at work getting things done and then spend a few hours after you get home getting things done in a video game only to get things done around the house on the weekend for like a 3 year stretch of time and realize you just need a ****ing vacation where all you do is sit on your *** on the beach and don’t do a Goddamn thing?

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

You ever spend all week at work getting things done and then spend a few hours after you get home getting things done in a video game only to get things done around the house on the weekend for like a 3 year stretch of time and realize you just need a ****ing vacation where all you do is sit on your *** on the beach and don’t do a Goddamn thing?

My wife and I basically had this exact same conversation this past weekend. 14+ months of COVID, along with being in the parenting trenches and our kids, who are amazing, just being a little "at each other" a lot more regularly, and us desperately needing a change of scenery. 

The plus is that from a financial perspective, things have never been better, and with COVID, I'm literally 2 years ahead of my projected timeline on projects and adding things to the house, but the downside is that we haven't been on a vacation in over 2 years.

We are trying to weigh what's worthwhile in traveling with COVID restrictions and spending money, along with a vacation that will be good for our whole family.

There's a place a few hours away from us that we can get away for 3+ days that's a "luxury camping" type setup, where we can get a cabin for our family, a lake with a bunch of activities, pools and other stuff for everyone, and it's less than $600. Then, we plan on having a huge family vacation and planning that for 2022.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My wife and I basically had this exact same conversation this past weekend. 14+ months of COVID, along with being in the parenting trenches and our kids, who are amazing, just being a little "at each other" a lot more regularly, and us desperately needing a change of scenery. 

The plus is that from a financial perspective, things have never been better, and with COVID, I'm literally 2 years ahead of my projected timeline on projects and adding things to the house, but the downside is that we haven't been on a vacation in over 2 years.

We are trying to weigh what's worthwhile in traveling with COVID restrictions and spending money, along with a vacation that will be good for our whole family.

There's a place a few hours away from us that we can get away for 3+ days that's a "luxury camping" type setup, where we can get a cabin for our family, a lake with a bunch of activities, pools and other stuff for everyone, and it's less than $600. Then, we plan on having a huge family vacation and planning that for 2022.

Go for it, man.

I need exotic wildlife and the beach.

Thinking about dropping 1,000 and going to Costa Rica.

Might not come back though.

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Go for it, man.

I need exotic wildlife and the beach.

Thinking about dropping 1,000 and going to Costa Rica.

Might not come back though.

I'm thinking Beach 2020 for sure. I've always wondered why no one in the U.S. has tried to capitalize on the "all inclusive resort" model in other countries. I'm looking at you Florida, Hawaii, the Carolinas...

18 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I told myself I'd take a vacation once I graduated last year. Didn't happen.

Told myself I would take a vacation after I got settled into my job. My 90 day "eval" was yesterday. So I'm sure I won't push this into Dec, or next year, as I continue to learn in a new industry.

And today there is a seminar going over the education assistance benefit. Because I'm kicking around the idea of getting my MBA.

I haven't had a serious vacation in 10+ years. Starting to see why.

2 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I told myself I'd take a vacation once I graduated last year. Didn't happen.

Told myself I would take a vacation after I got settled into my job. My 90 day "eval" was yesterday. So I'm sure I won't push this into Dec, or next year, as I continue to learn in a new industry.

And today there is a seminar going over the education assistance benefit. Because I'm kicking around the idea of getting my MBA.

I haven't had a serious vacation in 10+ years. Starting to see why.

You didn't ask for advice, but I'm giving you some anyway. Sorry.

Taking PTO sustainably is a skill. Force it, delegate, and if that doesn't work, pick a few things that you would be okay letting fail. Sometimes things have to break for people to see that there is a problem, and your relationship with an employer is like any other in that both parties need to set firm boundaries. 

• Like 3