🎵So let it be written

🎶So let it be done

🎵To kill your credit score and run

I'm crippling debt-ah! 🎵🎶

Edited by Starless
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mission27 said:

@swoosh

thoughts on the new Mr Perfectly Smug song?

@TLO

Wow, I can't believe I missed this release. I'm listening it to the first time and it's giving me goosebumps. Granted, I'm three claws deep but oh my, this song is a real treat. Queen blesses us once again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swoosh said:

Wow, I can't believe I missed this release. I'm listening it to the first time and it's giving me goosebumps. Granted, I'm three claws deep but oh my, this song is a real treat. Queen blesses us once again. 

Such an inspirational song

mission is Mr Perfectly Smug 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Mine were impacted and they had to give me local anesthesia; I had one of my many knee surgeries about a year before and told the Dr. I took Vicodin during that recovery - he felt as if I'd need something stronger, so he prescribed me Oxycontin.

I legitimately don't remember a single thing after I got out of the chair, for like - six days straight. I apparently had conversations with people, watched movies, ate ice cream and made jokes, and I remember nothing

Damn that sounds kinda dope tbh

meanwhile im just over here with 2 gauze pads in my mouth all day like a damn chipmunk

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm 29 and just got my wisdom teeth taken out. Man, that was surreal. No gas, but they numbed me up and it just felt like the dude was crushing my teeth.

I got mine out when I was 18 but got it without gas because I didn’t know what I’d say while under, even though I wasn’t into any sketchball behaviors outside of smoking marijuana’s and underage drinking really 

• Like 1

@ET80, I’m confident I could make the tzatki (so) sauce to my liking.  Done that before.  I’m confident in the rest of the toppings.  I’m semi-confident in the hummus (got really close the last batch, tips are welcome), but how in TF do I make lamb and pita bread for an authentic tasting gyro?

Nobody ever gets the pita bread or the lamb right except for like three places I have ever tried.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@ET80, I’m confident I could make the tzatki (so) sauce to my liking.  Done that before.  I’m confident in the rest of the toppings.  I’m semi-confident in the hummus (got really close the last batch, tips are welcome), but how in TF do I make lamb and pita bread for an authentic tasting gyro?

Nobody ever gets the pita bread or the lamb right except for like three places I have ever tried.

Oof - let me check around. I've never made either from scratch, but I know a few folks who have.

I'll report back soon.

19 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

So, a reliable source sent me in this direction - I've tried a few recipes from this site, pretty good overall:

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/homemade-pita-bread-recipe/

Same source told me to go here to make a traditional gyro cone if you want to shave pieces off like a restaurant would do:

https://askthefoodgeek.com/gyro-meat-recipe/

This being said, I don't like the idea of mixing beef into my lamb gyro; I have made this leg of lamb before, and I actually think it would come off the bone very well for a lamb gyro, and it's legit 100% lamb:

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-style-leg-of-lamb-recipe-with-potatoes/

This might actually taste BETTER than lamb/beef gyro meat. It's not authentic to what you'd get in the US, but might be more authentic to what you'd get in the Mediterranean.

As far as hummus - I've only made cauliflower hummus, but I'd put my stuff up against any chickpea version, and I'd win (handily, at that). Key is the tahini paste and paprika, the tahini paste is critical in getting the right consistency, so don't be afraid to eyeball it a little more than what this recipe asks for.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/spicy-roasted-cauliflower-tahini-dip-turmeric/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Forge said:

You guys make food? 

SardonicColossalElkhound-size_restricted

I'm sure you're familiar with this image. Michael Jordan over Craig Ehlo, game winner against the Cavs. One of the most iconic images in sports history.

Little known fact about this moment - Jordan isn't pumping his fist because he won. Jordan won many times in his life, big moments too. No, Jordan is pumping his fist after burying the Cavs because it was in this moment... He realized he had The GIFT. All that he surveyed on a basketball court was his, he could alter time, space and reality into whatever he chose. 

This takes us... into my journey into the kitchen. It was the tail end of 2020, we had all been cooped in for the year and we all needed to pick up something to occupy us. I ventured into cooking, and it was an entertaining distraction. I had an air fryer, an Instant Pot, a Cast Iron skillet, a Traeger grill - good tools for their specific lot in life, but nothing that could create magic. I did some great things early on -  North Carolina pork chops, Chinese beef spare ribs, Italian style sausage and peppers, Dr Pepper soaked baby back ribs - you knew there was something special here, much like Jordan.

So, we're closing in on Christmas dinner. For Thanksgiving, I volunteered to make a turkey - I had made a turkey before, but never on my own. I made it myself and it was a resounding success; I then took the leftover turkey, shredded it with some bacon, made my own cream sauce and boom, we had turkey carbonara - absolutely amazing. In my journey, Thanksgiving was the equivalent of Jordan dropping 63 vs the Celtics. Incredible effort... but just an introduction.

So, after Thanksgiving, it's decreed that I'm doing EVERYTHING for Christmas dinner - main course, sides, dessert. Wife wants to help, but after she butchered the Thanksgiving ham (who the HELL uses a dutch oven on a ham!?) I simply opened a bottle of wine and told her to watch the kids and dogs - too much was on the line. In my journey, this is sending Dennis Rodman to party with Carmen Electra. (I think that's how it happened with Jordan).

Menu was created ahead of time by me - I was going to leave it all on the floor that day:

- A Standing Rib roast/Prime Rib (six ribs) with au jus and horseradish. (I also made a Argentinian chimichuri sauce if anyone wasn't a fan of au jus and horseradish)

- Traditional yorkshire pudding made from rib roast fat drippings

- Spiral Ham (in a proper baking pan, in another oven at my mom's place).

- Mushroom Rissoto

- Cucumber Salad (I'll concede that my wife made this - it's her speciality, she knows what she's doing).

- Spicy glazed carrots

- Cheesy broiled asparagus

- Dessert was a "sweet nacho bar" with crushed waffle cones, warm caramel, melted chocolate, vanilla/chocolate/mint chocolate chip ice cream. (Full disclosure, this brilliant idea is courtesy of @SwAg).

I had planned about two weeks in advance - I started dry aging the rib roast a week before go time, I glazed and wrapped the ham, cut all veggies on Christmas Eve while watching A Christmas Story - everything was ready.

Day of is a blur, but my wife came through in the clutch, much like Rodman - she bought me a legitimate carving knife, one of those with a rounded end. I was now ready. I worked multiple stations, checking on everything all at once while rotating everything for maximum preparation. Only thing I remember was the 6th alarm going off - that was the moment I had to run out of my house down to my mom's house (she lives in the same neighborhood as I do) to get the ham out of the oven. I sprinted to her house, took the ham out, glazed it with a spicy honey base and tented it. My sister said she could have done that for me, but... Well, I could see her using a dutch oven to make it, so I couldn't delegate this effort. She could bring the ham when they were ready to come over, that works.

When the roast was done, I took out my new carver; One single slice to remove the ribs... and the aroma? The juice? I started to fist pump like Jordan. In that moment, I realized I had... The GIFT.

Dinner was phenomenal that day, my mom was legitimately speechless (might have to do with the wine, but I don't know) on how I managed to create from start to finish. My sister said it was the best prime rib she's ever had, she forced herself to have one with the au jus/horseradish and another one with the chimichuri because she simply wanted to experience both. My wife was excited that she was no longer on the hook to screw up another ham. I simply shrugged my shoulders...

GIF by NBA

So, to field your inquiry - no, I don't make food. I make art.

Because I have... The GIFT.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2021 at 4:46 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Do you guys tip on take out?

Only during this COVID year. Before that, no. 

Eating Out, I tip pretty generous though, 30-35% if great service if at restaurant or bar, 20-25% if ok. And then stuff like Door Dash or Pizza Delivery is usually just $5 cash (Never tip DoorDash on the App, they actually lower their hourly wage in return which I don't get how is legal... you're basically tipping DoorDash), unless a huge order for the entire family then maybe $10. I know how it is to work a tipped position and it's basically the reason you work that job. Nothing irritates me more than horrible tippers.