What are you thinking about?

pwny

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

While you aren't wrong here, Boomers still believe it all because it worked for them and that's how it was for them. The correlation/causation argument here rings true unbelievably, and it's unbelievably frustrating.

The system worked well for them, but they also changed the system to benefit them.

As a millennial who graduated from college in the middle of a recession and had to grind for several years before being able to get a full time job, the reality is crystal clear. The irony of the boomers pounding the "plan ahead" drum while telling sob stories about why they can't retire when they knew Medicare/Medicaid was always 65 and how you should have your house paid off by the time you're going to retire (or at least have a plan) while they whine about it driving their $55,000 brand new truck is truly hysterical to me.

Yep.  The dudes with no retirement savings but a pension from a whopping 30 years of work, the new truck, a boat, an RV, etc.

Likely complains a lot about “kids these days don’t know what work is”

Throw in how the boomers who hire you want to pay you in experience instead of pay like when they were 18, you get the ultimate paradox.

Oh many are fine with paying you like when they were 18.  The exact same hourly wage in fact.

Being entitled isn't a millennial issue. It's a humanity issue that manifests itself differently in each generation.

Yep.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The system worked well for them, but they also changed the system to benefit them.

Response:

Old_Economy_Steve.png

Yep.  The dudes with no retirement savings but a pension from a whopping 30 years of work, the new truck, a boat, an RV, etc.

People make life WAY too complicated. Granted, sometimes life throws curves, but still:

below-your-means-e1581013449126.png

Living-below-your-means-ig.jpg

A buddy of mine and I regularly share this gif:

the-simpsons-principal-skinner.gif

Oh many are fine with paying you like when they were 18.  The exact same hourly wage in fact.

funny-millennials-vs-baby-boomers-tweets

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Ya'll get to program your TI-86 calculators though?  That was pretty valuable.  I'm pretty sure i could definitely do that now.  To calculate whatever that was calculating.

Calculator programming my junior year of high school is what got me interested in computer programming, which led to my career right now, so funnily enough I did get a lot of value out of that.

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Calculator programming my junior year of high school is what got me interested in computer programming, which led to my career right now, so funnily enough I did get a lot of value out of that.

Seems all you Giant fans on here are programmers. I’m actually 18 credits away from a CS degree. Discrete Math, Java Programming, Calculus were all rough. Struggling with Computer Architecture right now but that is basically my final tough class. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Seems all you Giant fans on here are programmers. I’m actually 18 credits away from a CS degree. Discrete Math, Java Programming, Calculus were all rough. Struggling with Computer Architecture right now but that is basically my final tough class. 

We're smart dudes. Or a bunch of nerds, depending on how you want to look at it.

I make really good money, but man, the work is tedious and boring. I lost all interest in programming pretty quickly after school. Good thing is that there really is no 'crunch time' in my line of computer science so I get my free time to pursue what I want to do. 

Looking at what MWil and LGB are talking about I looked at one of the family photos when I took my dad on vacation the last year he was alive and it reminded me of a conversation we had. It was over rent being ridiculous and loans having crazy standards.

Dad - "Just buy a house then, the mortgage is going to be lower than your rent."

Me - "Can't get approved for one."

Dad - "I bought our house right after I got done with barber school and your mom was still in nursing school!"

Me - "I know. I made $45K last year and should clear $60K this year, and our bank wanted me to have a co-signer on a $12,000 loan for a work truck."

Dad - "Why?"

Me - "Because the banks use to give loans out to people for full homes that were fresh out of barber school and their wife was still in nursing school."

Dad looks mad then thinks and nods his head - "Hmmm. Sounds kinda stupid when you say it. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that mess."

Miss the hell out of that man. He was always cracking everyone up. One of my favorite sayings was when he told my wife during a family camping trip before we got married (He was jokingly trying to persuade her not to marry me and run away with him) -  "He's smart but I have 20 times the experience. Now, I was also high through the 70s, 80s, 90s, and occasionally now too... so IDK how 'good' that experience is either. He can build a home, but I already had him help build mine. He's never been married but I've successfully divorced twice! Plus I'm old and have no retirement too. Well s**t. Might as well stick with Shane I guess."

• Like 7

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I did a lot of C++ programming in highschool, and then more C/MATLAB programming as part of my engineering major, and I consider any sort of programming to be unfathomably harder than calculus. I don't know how CS people do it.

13 hours ago, minutemancl said:

That truly is an anomaly i think.

But i'm happy for you.  It's dope that the convoluted graphing calculator math led you to what you really wanted to do.

I can't say the same for myself, or most of anyone i know.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.

It's almost like the system is rigged against people today.  Climbing to the heights it's an architecturally impossible feat.  Weird.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That truly is an anomaly i think.

But i'm happy for you.  It's dope that the convoluted graphing calculator math led you to what you really wanted to do.

I can't say the same for myself, or most of anyone i know.

I really enjoyed it. I ended up writing TI-83 programs for basically everything we learned in multiple math classes in high school since we were allowed to use our calculators on tests, especially for statistics. Then in lunch, I had a calculator transfer cable and was able to give everyone in the class the program that basically did all the work for them. I made it so it just prompted you for the type of problem and the inputs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I really enjoyed it. I ended up writing TI-83 programs for basically everything we learned in multiple math classes in high school since we were allowed to use our calculators on tests, especially for statistics. Then in lunch, I had a calculator transfer cable and was able to give everyone in the class the program that basically did all the work for them. I made it so it just prompted you for the type of problem and the inputs.

Looks like you and I were basically doing the same things in high school then…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Looks like you and I were basically doing the same things in high school then…

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

On 10/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The only thing I could do now is type out 55378008 so if you hold it upside down it looks like “boobless”.

I was joking. ;) 

32 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Are you in a CS field for work? Do you still enjoy it?

Lol no.  I can barely work apple products.  I’m an RN.