What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 10/16/2021 at 6:35 AM, Tugboat said:

I realized a while ago that i was accidentally carrying more than a couple thousand bucks around in my pocket.  When i went to stuff some more cash in there and it just wasn't folding right.

Having cash on hand is pretty essentially for a lot of things though.  But maybe not that much.  And not in my wallet.  So i adjusted accordingly.

Banks are crooks tho.  So i hid it in my walls.

There’s always cash in the banana stand 

17 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I had cancer at 20 + 21 and it bogged me down for like half a decade but I’m now making somewhere north of $62k a year without a college degree. No chance of promotion with the company really or room for improvement there but at 29, there’s no reason other millennials should be worse off than me. I feel like I should be the floor of what you can make at my age all things considered. If you’re making $38k a year you’re not trying hard enough. 

Well you probably make a lot more than “68k” gross consider most of your income is cash. For example, let’s say out of your 68k, 40k is cash tips, that 40k take home is like 60k gross for people. Therefore your more around 85-88k. 

Edited by BayRaider

21 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I had cancer at 20 + 21 and it bogged me down for like half a decade but I’m now making somewhere north of $62k a year without a college degree. No chance of promotion with the company really or room for improvement there but at 29, there’s no reason other millennials should be worse off than me. I feel like I should be the floor of what you can make at my age all things considered. If you’re making $38k a year you’re not stripping hard enough. 

Seemed more fitting. lol

Honestly a lot has to do with comfort levels. My wife was a pharmacy tech and there were people there with 10-20 years of experience making like $3 more than her. I think the Walgreens she worked at topped off at like $17 something per hour. She enjoyed how fast paced the job was but that's $35K per year - max. Ridiculous. I had to basically tell her I'd match her wages then put the rest toward my own retirement while she could continue working. After that she realized how underpaid she was.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:36 PM, Ty21 said:

I had cancer at 20 + 21 and it bogged me down for like half a decade but I’m now making somewhere north of $62k a year without a college degree. No chance of promotion with the company really or room for improvement there but at 29, there’s no reason other millennials should be worse off than me. I feel like I should be the floor of what you can make at my age all things considered. If you’re making $38k a year you’re not trying hard enough

I disagree, fundamentally.  It's not about trying hard enough...

In my experience, the easier the job, the higher the pay.

It's where i hate this whole "grind culture".  It aggravates me.  Like, yeah...some people prioritize actually living life while they're alive.  Rather than hustle all the time culture.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I disagree, fundamentally.  It's not about trying hard enough...

In my experience, the easier the job, the higher the pay.

It's where i hate this whole "grind culture".  It aggravates me.  Like, yeah...some people prioritize actually living life while they're alive.  Rather than hustle all the time culture.

I’m not sure that’s exactly what Ty meant, but I’ll address your point.

I’m on commission. The more I sell, the more money I make. My first 3 or 4 years, I had to really focus (perhaps grind) to build my book of business. Gradually, I was able to incorporate more balance into my life while still earning a great living. I became a father around that time, and it was (and still is) important to me that I spend plenty of time with my family. However, there are people in my business who never stop “grinding” and make a lot more money than me, and my manager would love it if I did that. However, it’s not worth it to me.

The colleague I worked most closely with coasted for a while and then started grinding really hard after I had become more balanced. He ended up having a mini-stroke at 37 because he wasn’t taking care of himself. I’m sad to say that he ended up dying in a car accident the following year. I really miss him. Not that it happens to everyone who works hard, and not that it’s a sure thing work had anything to do with it. I still work hard (sometimes too hard), but it’s different now.

22 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'm hoping it was a combination of snakes and alligators that ended Brian Laundrie. Alligators are probably out of the equation if they found his remains just slightly off a trail tho.

Sure it wasn’t a…dog