What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 5/2/2024 at 12:13 AM, K9 said:

I think I've written this before but I wish this site had an app. I totally forgot about it after the season ended. Arggg... :) 

It kinda does.  The forum software, Invision, is set to scale to the device you are using.  I know you’re more referring to an app that gives you notifications, but I am not sure those exist for forums sadly. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve been spending the last 6 months trying to figure out how to make more money and spend less after essentially having no entertainment. Wages compared to the cost of living is absolutely insane. 

My fiancée and I are about ready to go down the path of no entertainment as we are planning to spend the rest of the year in monk mode to get rid of all of our debt except the mortgage and my one year old car.  Obviously not the same, but we’re at least planning to enjoy our waterfront community and being in our yard for a change.  

We’re actually OK for the area of Maryland we are in wages wise, but it’s super weird to see her aunt who is a real estate agent, selling homes in South Carolina for 1/3 less than what the comps would be here.  That’s just real estate.  There’s still a big staffing problem from some of the things that I see from my job, and what I hear from those with us.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve been spending the last 6 months trying to figure out how to make more money and spend less after essentially having no entertainment. Wages compared to the cost of living is absolutely insane. 

What kind of entertainment do you want in your life that you aren't getting?

My wife and I are happy staying in most of the time, save for the occasional concert, but we are big time foodies and love going out for drinks and good food, just us 2 or with friends. We are trying to make the most of going out while we are living with her parents until we close on our new house in 2 months, but we are going to have to buckle down a bit after we move in and really pick and choose when and where we go out.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

My fiancée and I are about ready to go down the path of no entertainment as we are planning to spend the rest of the year in monk mode to get rid of all of our debt except the mortgage and my one year old car.  Obviously not the same, but we’re at least planning to enjoy our waterfront community and being in our yard for a change.  

We’re actually OK for the area of Maryland we are in wages wise, but it’s super weird to see her aunt who is a real estate agent, selling homes in South Carolina for 1/3 less than what the comps would be here.  That’s just real estate.  There’s still a big staffing problem from some of the things that I see from my job, and what I hear from those with us.

Did I miss you announcing that you and your girlfriend got engaged? Congrats!

This is not necessarily referring to you, but I've seen/heard of a few people recently going to extremes to eliminate debt that they don't really need to eliminate. If the interest rate on the debt is below like 5%, you can afford the installment payments relatively comfortably, you are already actively saving for retirement, and you aren't expecting to have some level of lifestyle creep soon (bigger house, nicer car, more frequent vacations, etc), that debt is probably a good thing.

21 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

What kind of entertainment do you want in your life that you aren't getting?

My wife and I are happy staying in most of the time, save for the occasional concert, but we are big time foodies and love going out for drinks and good food, just us 2 or with friends. We are trying to make the most of going out while we are living with her parents until we close on our new house in 2 months, but we are going to have to buckle down a bit after we move in and really pick and choose when and where we go out.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not struggling so much as I’d love to be able to buy a shed or pole barn at some point, do some gardening landscaping projects like raised beds, dimensional trellises and boxes, maybe a chicken coop with some chickens.

But the reality is, we have two older cars that will likely need replaced in the next few years, my oldest will be driving in 6-7 years, and there is wisdom in saving up for tomorrow, while also balancing “living life” to an extent.

My sources of entertainment are probably different from many others. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Did I miss you announcing that you and your girlfriend got engaged? Congrats!

This is not necessarily referring to you, but I've seen/heard of a few people recently going to extremes to eliminate debt that they don't really need to eliminate. If the interest rate on the debt is below like 5%, you can afford the installment payments relatively comfortably, you are already actively saving for retirement, and you aren't expecting to have some level of lifestyle creep soon (bigger house, nicer car, more frequent vacations, etc), that debt is probably a good thing.

Probably just morphed into me calling her my fiancée but that’s just about what we did.  Neither of us really made a big deal about it or announcing it.

We’ve already done that analysis.  We are going to pay off the student loans as minimum monthly payments, because those are under 5%, and you cant beat that with the average early returns on the S&P 500.  So we’ll just invest that.  But, we have some consumer debt to eliminate, as well as her car payment- want to get rid of that soon because her dad co-signed on it.  We will be putting a lot into savings, as well as planning for a second property.  Probably a rental condo.  There may also be an opportunity here soon to purchase the house/property next to us, which gives us some interesting options.  So for those things, we want the ledger to be clear for just about anything.  

• Like 1

Someone who is more knowledgeable than me about this help me out:

Are we about to see a country-wide, MASSIVE increase in property taxes soon? Are assessed values, whenever these re-assessments are made, going to skyrocket due to housing prices skyrocketing in the last 2-3 years? Houses that were bought for like $150k in 2019 are going for $300k now. Will those assessments move up from like $120k to $240k?

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Are we about to see a country-wide, MASSIVE increase in property taxes soon? Are assessed values, whenever these re-assessments are made, going to skyrocket due to housing prices skyrocketing in the last 2-3 years? Houses that were bought for like $150k in 2019 are going for $300k now. Will those assessments move up from like $120k to $240k?

Assessments are not based on market value, they are assessed value based on a mass appraisal method different than appraisers use to determine market value on homes. Additionally, assessor offices will typically lag behind large increases because they don't want to overshoot market values if a decline begins to happen. So to answer your question, yes assessments are going to go up, but probably not as much as the market overall has. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Assessments are not based on market value, they are assessed value based on a mass appraisal method different than appraisers use to determine market value on homes. Additionally, assessor offices will typically lag behind large increases because they don't want to overshoot market values if a decline begins to happen. So to answer your question, yes assessments are going to go up, but probably not as much as the market overall has. 

I knew they didn't match market value, but I assumed the market shifting so insanely upwards meant they had to come up to some degree. It's reassuring that they aren't going to exactly skyrocket like prices have. Thanks!

Entirely anecdotal, but in my area, it looks like that decline has just started a little bit. Maybe it is actually just people who are greedy and trying to get 2022 prices in 2024 have to compromise, but the absurd offers over asking have come down a bit and houses are starting to sit a little bit longer.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I knew they didn't match market value, but I assumed the market shifting so insanely upwards meant they had to come up to some degree. It's reassuring that they aren't going to exactly skyrocket like prices have. Thanks!

Entirely anecdotal, but in my area, it looks like that decline has just started a little bit. Maybe it is actually just people who are greedy and trying to get 2022 prices in 2024 have to compromise, but the absurd offers over asking have come down a bit and houses are starting to sit a little bit longer.

My tax bill is up 30% from 3 years ago and so is my home valuation. Sure, the tax valuation isn’t a 1:1 on my home valuation, but yeah the increase for me here in Ohio was proportional.

$300 more a month now with the raises to taxes and insurance.

Thankfully the January raise I got is 1/2 of that, so after my raise I lost money, and don’t get me started on groceries.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

For where I live, clark county caps property tax increases at 3% a year for primary residences. So mine has increased, but not a significant amount

21 hours ago, D82 said:

I really need to go to the Kentucky Derby one of these years...

I have next to zero interest in that.

But i have a very high level of interest in Mint Juleps.  All Summer Long.

• Like 2