What are you thinking about?

pwny

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

I think it’s quite possible the have the mindset of “we believe our son is guilty and we hope they can get her family closure and complete the investigation quickly…. without our help” and I don’t know how much I’m willing to fault someone for taking that stance. 

if there is even a 1% chance you believe your son is innocent you keep quiet and let the investigation run its course because you know police are already going to shoehorn everything they can into pointing at him 

but I understand others won’t agree

Yeah, I don’t disagree.  Not sure I could be the one…

It's one thing not to help. It's another to actively withhold information (again, an assumption but also far more likely than not). The consequences of such are your lives being ruined too. If that's your choice so be it, you made your own bed.

I have zero knowledge of any of this story except for what I've heard here and there. I did watch for a couple of min, the video of the body cam when they had pulled them over. This is just all around sad! Like really tragic...

I do find it interesting how much interest this story has gotten over other missing persons stories.... 

32 minutes ago, D82 said:

All you have to do is look at her demographic.

Really? Let’s not be that guy. Seriously. Make every subject about race, literally every subject. Are you that person? 

A girl is dead here. Show some respect. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Really? Let’s not be that guy. Seriously. Make every subject about race, literally every subject. Are you that person? 

Some food for thought.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/21/1039268981/media-petito-like-racism-native-americans

Acknowledging she’s getting attention that others don’t necessarily get isn’t racist if it’s statistically factual.

• Like 5

I just had the most strange interaction with a banker. They explained to me that I was not going to get the loan terms I wanted for a boat because I closed all my credit cards this summer (avoiding annual fees). 

I am in finance, so I understand that open credit and usage ratios can greatly affect your credit score. Thats not the issue. My credit score is almost 200 points above what they need. Its not credit history, I have 20 years of loans/credit. It was simply the fact that at this moment in time, I dont have a single outstanding credit card in my name. Apparently that is some weird trigger for this bank.

Their suggestion was to open a CC and then come back after a bill cycle. My response was "You understand how stupid that sounds? You would rather give me money when I owe to other people instead of when I owe nobody. What the hell kinds of risk management is that?"

• Like 3

17 hours ago, K9 said:

I do find it interesting how much interest this story has gotten over other missing persons stories.... 

I read that a lot of this was because the girl herself was part of a true crime community, so when she went missing, there were podcast all over the internet turning it into a murder mystery. 

3 hours ago, D82 said:

And shes photogenic. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Id assume its more that she is a girl than her being white. If this was a white dude - no one would care.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Id assume its more that she is a girl than her being white. If this was a white dude - no one would care.

Agreed. Although there are people who turn every issue into a race issue, no matter what the subject is. It’s engrained in their soul to make anything and everything race related. I see people even making this about race, especially on Twitter. Like, just stop. Have some decency for crying out loud. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. Although there are people who turn every issue into a race issue, no matter what the subject is. It’s engrained in their soul to make anything and everything race related. I see people even making this about race, especially on Twitter. Like, just stop. Have some decency for crying out loud. 

No response to the link I posted?  

Some people refuse to acknowledge things like race actually do play a role in things like media coverage.

Pointing it out doesn’t make you anything other than observant. Not sure why this is hard to acknowledge? Especially when factual data supports it.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, D82 said:

When I wrote that, I wasn't thinking that. I was thinking it was maybe because her fiancee (complete dbag) wasn't speaking and in hiding.

Some of these missing person stories are instantly famous, just found it interesting. And again beyond sad all around!

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I just had the most strange interaction with a banker. They explained to me that I was not going to get the loan terms I wanted for a boat because I closed all my credit cards this summer (avoiding annual fees). 

I am in finance, so I understand that open credit and usage ratios can greatly affect your credit score. Thats not the issue. My credit score is almost 200 points above what they need. Its not credit history, I have 20 years of loans/credit. It was simply the fact that at this moment in time, I dont have a single outstanding credit card in my name. Apparently that is some weird trigger for this bank.

Their suggestion was to open a CC and then come back after a bill cycle. My response was "You understand how stupid that sounds? You would rather give me money when I owe to other people instead of when I owe nobody. What the hell kinds of risk management is that?"

Banking has turned into mass statistics.  No one really does true underwriting anymore bc the banks would rather just play the odds (it's cheaper, and it's guaranteed return).

It's basically turned into the equivalent of tech support, where the guy on the other end of the phone just reads off the sheet and doesn't listen to anything you're saying about the problems you're having.

• Like 1