'MM: Brett Hundley’s my quarterback'

TheOnlyThing

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

And it was his ingenuity last year when we had no RBs that allowed us to run the table. Every time Mac and this coaching staff have had their backs up against a wall, they've responded admirably IMO. 

The difference between this year and 2013 is Eddie Lacy was light years better than any RB we have on our roster. We're going to need Jones to progress, but it will also be crucial we mix in Monty and Williams to keep everyone fresh.

The health of the OL is the key from the offensive side of things.  Jones is more than capable with Monty as the complimentary piece.    The 2013 team had some sustained continuity on the OL

Bahktiari 16 games started

Sitton 16 games started

EDS 16 games started

Lang 16 games started

Barclay 14 games started

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The health of the OL is the key from the offensive side of things.  Jones is more than capable with Monty as the complimentary piece.    The 2013 team had some sustained continuity on the OL

Bahktiari 16 games started

Sitton 16 games started

EDS 16 games started

Lang 16 games started

Barclay 14 games started

the OL is so crucial right now for Brett & the run game equally... what did the Packers use like the 10th starting OL rotation since the season began? its insane that every dropback isnt a sack at this point. which is also why i cant be too critical of the running game right now (or specifically Monty's production). once they get some stability at OL again i think you'll see some better rushing performances.

ridiculous that adams and jordy and cobb would lose snaps to Jeff Janis.

Hundley can run the normal offense.  The pieces we add to the offense should be either opponent specific, or things that emphasize hundley's mobility or other things he should/would be good at.

15 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

I think we would be talking about the OL less if the ball actually came out in rhythm.

i hope so. I'd love to run a true west coast offense with more slants etc. Think it fits our WR group better.

Does anyone know off hand what throws Hundley is really good at? Favre was great with slants and Rodgers was more of the fade, deep out, post type of QB.

To me, it's pretty simple. This team could still go 5-5 on the way out, but only if the OL comes back and plays the rest of the season healthy...period. With Rodgers' greatness, he was able to overcome our patchwork OL Weeks 1 - 5 and still get wins. Had Hundley started Week 1 until now, with our OL staying the same as it has been, we'd likely be 0-6 or maybe 1-5. To me, the only realistic possible win out of our first 6 games judging by how they turned out would have been the Bears. Seattle? No way. Cincy? No way. Dallas? GTFOH. 

In order for Hundley to be able to succeed, he needs GREAT OL play, not just good, GREAT OL play. You are only getting that from our starting 5. If Hundley has to play a single game with McCray starting at tackle or Ulrick Elton John at T or any other misfit on our roster, he's done. He goes from being a suspect backup QB already to a suspect backup QB without a chance in hell.  

With that said, the focus at this point has to be get the OL healthy. It's not going to happen against NO, but we need it post-bye. If Bahk, Bulaga and Taylor get back in there and stay in there, we have a chance. Hundley will have a chance to settle in, get more comfortable and make some plays. That's the only chance we have. 

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

With that said, the focus at this point has to be get the OL healthy. It's not going to happen against NO, but we need it post-bye. If Bahk, Bulaga and Taylor get back in there and stay in there, we have a chance. Hundley will have a chance to settle in, get more comfortable and make some plays. That's the only chance we have. 

That's what you'd think because the Packers seemingly never adjust to their circumstances, but when adversity is a given, I hope they finally adapt.  In such a scenario, why couldn't the Packers be successful running the ball, calling screens, getting Hundley out of the pocket, and setting up big plays off play action?  

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

ridiculous that adams and jordy and cobb would lose snaps to Jeff Janis.

Hundley can run the normal offense.  The pieces we add to the offense should be either opponent specific, or things that emphasize hundley's mobility or other things he should/would be good at.

How about if Adams snaps don't go down at all.

Jordy takes some snaps from Cobb in the slot.

Janis takes some of Jordy's snaps outside.

That puts the least effective WR you have on the pine for a couple plays.  You can then evaluate what you have in the slot with Jordy (as he ages) AND what you really have in Janis/Davis outside.

Doing that actually puts more athletic ability on the field.

I'm sorry, but Cobb just isn't producing.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

That puts the least effective WR you have on the pine for a couple plays.  You can then evaluate what you have in the slot with Jordy (as he ages) AND what you really have in Janis/Davis outside.

Let's test my NFL is random theory.

Cobb has 100 yards against the saints. Market down.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Cobb could be even more important now. Hundley is going to need a safety outlet. I foresee a lot of slants, flats, and curls in Cobbs future.

They will need to get him into rhythm and I'm sure Cobb will be a big part of that.

Cobb has never really thrived off of those routes.  His bigger yardage stuff has always come off of the scramble drill.  He caught a lot of short passes early in the year, though, so there is reason for hope.  I just don't see much in his game anymore.

...and if that isn't putting it out there for him to light up the Saints, then nothing will!

Just now, vegas492 said:

Cobb has never really thrived off of those routes.  His bigger yardage stuff has always come off of the scramble drill.  He caught a lot of short passes early in the year, though, so there is reason for hope.  I just don't see much in his game anymore.

...and if that isn't putting it out there for him to light up the Saints, then nothing will!

Think of the QB though... the offense is going to be structured differently now. Where Rodgers might hold for a bigger play, Hundley might just check it down and throw short.

20 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

That's what you'd think because the Packers seemingly never adjust to their circumstances, but when adversity is a given, I hope they finally adapt.  In such a scenario, why couldn't the Packers be successful running the ball, calling screens, getting Hundley out of the pocket, and setting up big plays off play action?  

Possibly, but you have to remember, defenses are going to adapt as well. Why would any defense give Hundley room to breathe moving forward? We know defenses usually don't blitz Rodgers...why...because he eats it alive because he has superior awareness, pocket presence, escape ability, and arm strength to make any throw on the field, from any angle and any position on his body. Hundley cannot do any of that...or at least not even at 1/2 of the ability as Rodgers. So now, defenses will come after him. They will play up on the ball, load the box to take away the running game, press the WRs and force Hundley to have to make plays in less time and will continue to do so until Hundley can prove he can beat it. Maybe he can....who knows but all of the things we take for granted that we won't see from a defense against Rodgers...that's all off the table now. 

Or, instead of coming after Hundley with more people, defenses could drop 7 into coverage and force Hundley to find open WRs. How many times have we complained over the years that "no one is getting open" on passing plays? That was with Aaron freaking Rodgers at QB, and we grew accustomed to to Rodgers saving drives by throwing through impossible windows, making back shoulder throws with extremely tight coverage, drawing defenses offsides, getting 12 men on the field, or buying enough time to draw a holding penalty, etc. He does so much on every single drive, and if he failed to do even one of those things, the drive would have ended without points. Hundley cannot replicate that. So when a defense rushes 4 (and still gets pressure against our paper thin OL) and they have 7 DBs covering 3-4 routes...we think Hundley is going to be able to find those tight window completions and make those impossible Rodgers-type throws? Like you alluded to, MM is going to have to change the entire offense IMO to make Hundley successful. We have to become the NE Patriots, rub routes, pick plays, multiple guys in motion, crossing routes, screens, etc. This iso, man-for-man stuff isn't going to work. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Possibly, but you have to remember, defenses are going to adapt as well. Why would any defense give Hundley room to breath moving forward? We know defenses usually don't blitz Rodgers...why...because he eats it alive because he has superior awareness, pocket presence, escape ability, and arm strength to make any throw on the field, from any angle and any position on his body. Hundley cannot do any of that...or at least not even at 1/2 of the ability as Rodgers. So now, defenses will come after him. They will play up on the ball, load the box to take away the running game, press the WRs and force Hundley to have to make plays in less time and will continue to do so until Hundley can prove he can beat it. Maybe he can....who knows but all of the things we take for granted that we won't see from a defense against Rodgers...that's all off the table now. 

I think we have been seeing consistently two deep man coverage with Rodgers.  The injuries and predictability of the offense has been allowing teams to start taking more chances blitzing too.  I think we as fans are under the impression everything has to perfect all the time because they never adjust, or play other guys so every bit of adversity becomes a grind.

• 1 month later...

Archived