2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting LG

How should the Vikings handle the starting LG position?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting LG?

• Sign back Dakota Dozier
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting LG
    • Promote Kyle Hinton
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

The team hasn’t shown any interest in him being anything but a backup center, but a Brett Jones makes sense as a place holder left guard for a cap strapped team.  He’s played well when pressed into service as a guard similarly to a Joe Berger type. 

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True but who in the world would that be?  Nick Easton they probably could not even afford and he has pretty bad injury issues and his career might be over.  That is the only one that comes to mind because the rest we probably cannot afford.  Dan Feeney and Forrest Lamp I would love but the Chargers will pay one if not both of them and doubt the Vikings could afford either one.

Vikings only real option is drafting one because doubt they could sign one, Josh Kline still hated that deal to death when they did it and he was a massive waste of money. 

The only alternative I would entertain to signing a free agent is trading for a player that has proven to be decent in the league.

Until we see what the cap is for the next year I don't buy that the team can't afford to sign a decent guard. When it comes down to it, I would rather have an unproven LB than an unproven OG so I would cut Anthony Barr if needed to bring in a decent guard. That assumes Barr is left standing after the cuts to get under the cap. If he is not, then you have guys like Kyle Rudolph that are less important than the starting five offensive linemen.

After filling the gaping hole, the team still absolutely ought to be looking to draft a guy as high as it takes that can fill the position long-term. I assume whoever they bring in is a short-term plug. However, if it was one of the big names, which would be hard to afford, then they may forego drafting a guard.

Edited by Cearbhall
22 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Expecting any of the backups that couldn't beat out Dozier to be solid starters this coming season reminds me of last season when some people thought that Dru Samia might suddenly be worth starting even though he never was able to beat out the team's dreck. People often get expectations this time of year that are way out of line with the evidence. You have to guard against that. I have been burned by that too many times myself.  Samia, Isidora, Elflein, Yankey, OT moved to G of the year...

Anyone that couldn't beat out Dozier will be doing well if they can prove to be a good backup to whoever the Vikings bring in to start, which will likely not be anyone good if this year is like a standard Rick Spielman year.

The team needs to sign a free agent guard that has proven to be at least reliable. If they are unable to do that, they need to trade whatever the cost may be to get a decent guard. Then the team needs to draft a guard as well. Maybe too. That is the corner that Rick Spielman has backed the organization into. If/when (when) he fails, I'll be calling for his head (again). The man is lost with respect to offensive line building. He is what he is.

Dozier was handed the job and I truly don't believe he beat them out. Dennison is stubborn and set in his ways Jones played well in relief and still didn't a look once Ezra return. Now everything else I can agree with.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think that Forrest Lamp can be a good NFL player.  He is a perfect scheme fit for us.  He missed a few years to injury and then last year he was stuck as the 3rd OG behind Dan Feeney and Trai Turner.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I still think that Forrest Lamp can be a good NFL player.  He is a perfect scheme fit for us.  He missed a few years to injury and then last year he was stuck as the 3rd OG behind Dan Feeney and Trai Turner.

I thought Lamp still started and Turner and Lamp were the guards and Feeney was the center since Pouncey was hurt most of the season?  I like Lamp a lot as well but honestly I see both he and Feeney being signed by the Chargers.  No way both leave in free agency with no one really to take their place.  

Still say a play could be Nick Martin if most of the NFL view him as a failed player, which he is not just was played out of position arguably.  Nick Easton is also an option if he is healthy and is willing to play for less than what he got in New Orleans.  

I would love to bring in Lamp as a penciled in starter, then see if you can draft competition option. 

But my interest in Lamp is 100% based on what I liked about him as a prospect, and still think that he would fit better in this blocking scheme. 

That said, Lamp’s PFF grade this past season (his only season healthy) was 49.4 with 1,174 snaps at LG. For comparison, Dakota Dozier graded out at 44.6 with 1,083 snaps at LG in 2020. 

By no means should Lamp be seen as an absolute upgrade at LG. But I do think he’s got more potential that could still be tapped into. 

If it gets the Vikings enough cap space to sign a quality free agent guard like Brandon Sherff, a smart move might be to let Riley Reiff go and draft Christian Darrisaw as his replacement.  Darrisaw and Sherff would make up a VERY nice left side to the Vikings offensive line. Then, keep Ezra Cleveland and Brian O'Neill on the right and hope Garrett Bradbury can live up to his draft position with some quality players on either side of him.  If that all happened, the Vikings could have one of the better O-lines in the league.  I'd even cut/trade Anthony Barr to make this happen.  It would be worth it.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If you sign Scherff, he’d be the right guard and they’d move Cleveland. 

Oh ok.  I didn't realize that.  If it would work with Cleveland, it would be a good plan.  I was mainly using Sherff as an example.  If there is another quality free agent who could go on the left, that would be good too.

Edited by Uncle Buck

Andrew Norwell and Kevin Zeitler are also on the trade block.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/jaguars-ol-andrew-norwell-giants-ol-kevin-zeitler-on-the-trade-block

Hopefully Rick can get the guard position figured out this year, but he hasn't shown me anything to give me confidence. So far Cousins hasn't been injured, but he would play a lot better if his offensive line didn't stink so bad at pass protection.

I'd love to get Zeitler, but his salary is too much to trade for. If we could sign him when he's cut, and structure it to not take up so much cap space, that would be great. 

• Like 1