Nick-GB 2021 Packers Mock Offseason V1

Nick_gb

5 hours ago, smetana34 said:

hang onto Lowry and use the 3rd elsewhere. No reason to cut the guy if we're going to have that much money left. Might as well hang onto him and use him in rotation. He's fine there

This x1000

Other than that, I like it.  We probably need to draft more WRs.  We have nobody signed at WR for 2022 at the moment.  

Jonathan Adams is my draft crush, every mock draft needs him for good karma.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

If your going to go for it, go for it and draft a RB later. You’ll need to use higher picks to get at least one of those CB’s anyway. 

I never buy into this whole “He’ll go higher than that talk” Do you know how many times people on these boards make mocks hear that same exact line and that person falls? Literally every single year.

Fact is, due to Covid this is easily going to be the most unpredictable draft we’ve probably had in a long time. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I never buy into this whole “He’ll go higher than that talk” Do you know how many times people on these boards make mocks hear that same exact line and that person falls? Literally every single year.

Fact is, due to Covid this is easily going to be the most unpredictable draft we’ve probably had in a long time. 

Nicky's getting defensive!

8 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I really like your offseason/FA. Gives us a nice piece. I also think a nice stable corner would be huge.

Personally not super high on the draft. With Wagner on the team, I don't think a OT is necessary (especially a guy we are grooming). I also don't see us using 2 top 4 round picks on RBs (maybe a 3/5)

With Bakhtiari likely out until sometime in October, depth at OT is a huge concern. Wagner was fighting through injuries late in the season. In 2019 he missed the end of the season. Counting on him would be a huge gamble. I'll be surprised if Gute doesn't draft an OT in the first 2 rounds.  

49 minutes ago, Norm said:

Nicky's getting defensive!

Nah, I just find draft position to be arguably one of the worst takes on here when it comes to mocks. Especially this year when the truth is none of us know how these front offices are going to view these guys after a bizarre season like this year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nick_gb said:

Nah, I just find draft position to be arguably one of the worst takes on here when it comes to mocks. Especially this year when the truth is none of us know how these front offices are going to view these guys after a bizarre season like this year. 

No I agree, in general anyways. Everyone gets way too sure about where guys absolutely can't fall to, etc and it happens all the damn time. You mentioned covid too. And it was already never as clear as all us idiots with internet access ever pretended it was either. 

Either way it's fun to do this. I wish I had the damn time anymore...I miss it.

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

No I agree, in general anyways. Everyone gets way too sure about where guys absolutely can't fall to, etc and it happens all the damn time. You mentioned covid too. And it was already never as clear as all us idiots with internet access ever pretended it was either. 

Either way it's fun to do this. I wish I had the damn time anymore...I miss it.

Ahh the good old Shawne Merriman to GB mock days! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

DISCLAIMER: All Contract Signings/Restructures/Extension savings were figured using OTC/PFF Top 150 Free Agents Sites and are not my own, so do not slander me for the numbers if you feel they are wrong, bring it up with those sites! Thanks!

Projected Salary Cap: $190 Million (This is a presumption of a few experts, thinking the NFL will borrow Cap space, over the next two years with the TV Deals set to run out) 
2021 Packers Cap Projections:  $212,059,574
 2021 Packers Cap Space: -$22,059,574

Restructures:

David Bakhtiari - creating $8.3 Million in Cap space
New Current Cap:  -$13.759

Aaron Rodgers - creating $14.516 Million in Cap Space - I know people are going to be upset that we wasted a FRP on a QB last year, just to extend Aaron Rodgers and keep him on this GB Roster for what is hopefully the remainder of his career. However, I'm pretty sure this move is going to happen and they're just waiting for the official numbers to come out in regards to the 2021 cap space. Aaron will want the Packers FO to back up their words from the pressers with some action. 
New Current Cap: +757k

Extension:

Davante Adams, creating $9.34 Million in Cap Space
Za'darius Smith, Creating $12.48 Million in Cap Space

New Current Cap Space: $22.577 Million

Cuts:

Christian Kirksey, creating $5.6 Million in Cap Space
Dean Lowry, creating $3.3 Million in Cap Space
New Current Cap Space: $31.477 Million

Tender: 

Robert Tonyan, TE- 2nd Round Tender, $3.422 Million

New Current Cap Space: $28.055 Million

Resign: (Using PFF top 150 Free Agents Projections)

Corey Linsley - 3 years @ $33 million - (9/11/13 Cap hits)
Mercedes Lewis - 1 Year @ $1.5 Million (1.5 Cap hit)
Kevin King, CB - 1 Year @ $3.5 Million (3.5 cap hit)

New Current Cap Space: $14.055 Million

Free Agent Signings:

JJ Watt, DL - 3 Years, $20 Million  (4/7/9) cap hits (This is the only cap figure I came up with, because I'm not willing to pay him what PFF had and hoping a hometown discount will be in play here with a chance at a ring)

Mike Hilton, CB - 3 Years, $12 million (2/4/6 cap hits) 

New Current Cap Space: $8.055 Million

Other potential move/s:

Preston Smith - Cut / Trade / Pay-cut, I decided to leave this one here as my preference is to keep him on a pay cut, but I wanted to show that there were other ways to create cap space for the Draft / Roll-over if the team felt it was necessary to do so. I'm trying to keep as much as the 2020 team intact as possible while keeping the depth in place.

Packers Potential Cap space heading into draft: $8.055 - $16.055 Million

2021-NFL-Draft-no-location.png

2021 NFL Draft - Green Bay Packers

Round 1: Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan

Explanation: With David Bakhtiari out of the fold possibly (most likely) to start the season, it becomes imperative to protect the face of the franchise. Mayfield offers you the ability to play him either at OG/RT allowing for ample flexibility along the OL between Turner / Mayfield / Jenkins.

Scouting Report:

Michigan versus Penn State 2019 - Tape

Round 2: Javonte Williams, RB 

Explanation: The Packers just let Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones walk in free agency this year. Typically, I wouldn't take another RB with a Day 2 pick after you just took one last year and have even said I felt it was wasted resources. However, Dillion got injured in a year he was barely used and took awhile to get over his covid-19 case and Williams is just a downright stud, having him and Dillion in the fold provides you the depth to keep running your scheme despite injuries and in a year where it's Super Bowl or bust, I think you protect that scheme that has got you to the NFC Championship two years in a row and you stack that room up with talent.

Scouting Report:

Javonte Williams Highlights

Round 3: Alim Mcneill, DL 

Explanation: We just signed JJ Watt on the DL, but we need to continue to bolster this line up, ideally you're not looking to play him 90% of the snaps, we want to keep the man healthy throughout the season and a good rotation of lineman is a great way to ensure we can do that. Personally, Lowry / Lancaster etc was not the answer and so we're looking to revamp that entirely here in this draft.

Scouting Report

Alim McNeill Highlights

Round 4:  Kelvin Joseph, CB

Explanation: I know people will be upset that I waited until the 4th round to address this position, but this kid has the capabilities to be a starter in this secondary. We also resigned Kevin King and added Mike Hilton in Free Agency at this position which allowed us to address this later in the draft. 

Scouting Report

Kelvin Joseph Highlights

Round 4: Greg Newsome II, CB

Explanation: Despite resigning King and signing a CB in Free Agency, I'm going to double dip at the position here. I think it's necessary

Scouting Report

Greg Newsome II Highlights

Round 4: Kenneth Gainwell, RB

Explanation: Yes, I'm aware that we took Williams in the 2nd after taking Dillion in the 2nd round last year. However, adding Gainwell to the RB room give us a trio of RB's of Dillion / Williams / Gainwell and that has the potential to be more dominant than Jones / Williams / Ervin.

Scouting Report

Kenneth Gainwell Highlights

Round 5: Shaun Wade, LB/S Hybrid

Explanation: I think Wade provides nice value right about here, I provided his 2019 highlights for a reason as his 2020 season was one to forget. However, he's worth the pick here if you believe you can get him back to the 2019 version we saw on the field.

Scouting Report

2019 Shaun Wade Highlights

Round 6: Jonathan Adams Jr, WR

Explanation: Gives the Packers a developmental option this year, with a big year of potential departures in Free Agency from some of our current depth next off-season.

Scouting Report

Jonathan Adams Jr Highlights

Round 7: Max Duffy, P

Explanation: Do I really need to explain this?

so you have the salary cap all wrong and the compensatory picks all wrong and the salaries all wrong. Other than that great job!

23 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I think OL depth is ALWAYS necessary and will ALWAYS be worthy of a premium pick. Wagner wont change my mind on that. It's not a sexy pick by any means but it's a necessary one.

I'm all for having depth, especially at higher positional value spots. My thing though, assuming Bak is going to be back, do we really need a first round pick depth piece? We have 3 guys that can play OT at a NFL level in this roster scenario. Turner/Wagner with Jenkins being able to step up in emergency is more than capable and provides enough flexibility, especially if we take a development guy R3-4.

If anything, I'd take an IOL since we could use improvement there, and move Jenkins out to T if necessary.

Edited by pacman5252

26 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I'm all for having depth, especially at higher positional value spots. My thing though, assuming Bak is going to be back, do we really need a first round pick depth piece? We have 3 guys that can play OT at a NFL level in this roster scenario. Turner/Wagner with Jenkins being able to step up in emergency is more than capable and provides enough flexibility, especially if we take a development guy R3-4.

If anything, I'd take an IOL since we could use improvement there, and move Jenkins out to T if necessary.

CB and OT are the biggest need.  The 3 guys you mentioned at a NFL level are getting older and have had injury issues.  To ignore that position in the 1st 3 rounds would be a bad thing.  Moving Jenkins out to tackle when you can draft one there in mho isn't wise.  

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Lol someone didn’t read the disclaimer apparently. 

That's why I put mine in bold in the last mock I did. Someone will always argue with you on FA numbers more than looking at the actual mock itself so it's to a point where if you want discussion on the actual mock, it's a complete waste of time to even cover FA predictions...

...like we're to the point where it shouldn't be discussed outside of the actual thread in which it is a topic.

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I think when Bakh comes back you're looking more at a line that looks like this in the mock draft I provided:

Bakh / Jenkins / Linsley / Turner / Mayfield 

Then you have Wagner (On a relatively cheap contract btw) who can kick in to RT if say Jenkins/Turner go down and you can move Mayfield inside and your OL probably doesn't miss a beat this way, which I think protecting Aaron Rodgers is probably the most important thing we can do going into the off-season.

Same thing can be said with the Javonte Williams pick, if Dillion goes down, your offensive game plan doesn't change. This mock was purely built around depth at what I feel are key positions for the Packers to continue to run their offense, while also shoring up the secondary and DL simultaneously. 

Edited by Nick_gb